New respect for content creators

Work of art, it may be, but it's utter bollocks as a meaningful test.

What would make it more of a meaningful test ? not having a go just interested as there is enough info in there to make a purchasing decision

Agree it is a work of art

What would make it more of a meaningful test ? not having a go just interested as there is enough info in there to make a purchasing decision

Agree it is a work of art

The "testing" of the wheel balance was hopeless. You can't test a liquid balancer with a static balance, you need a dynamic balancer such as you might find doing car wheels at a tyre fitters. Equally, you can't balance a liquid filled tyre on a static balancer.

The puncture test also looked a bit random.

I had a decent consumer video camera a few years ago, bought it to record rugby matches for analysis. Bernie's niece was getting married and didn't have a videographer so we offered by way of gift to record the event.

Recorded the whole thing right from bride leaving the house, the whole shebang through to the dancing.

And then went to put it together adding soundtracks, stills and burning to DVD etc. As a novice the amount of hours that went into it, such a steep learning curve..... must have been 30-40 hours of graft. They separated after three years.

Was on the verge of gettin all the gear to set up a channel but changed my mind in the end. Mainly because I think it would ruin my rides and my mentality of my rides. Chasing that perfect angle, place etc rather than just enjoying myself

The "testing" of the wheel balance was hopeless. You can't test a liquid balancer with a static balance, you need a dynamic balancer such as you might find doing car wheels at a tyre fitters. Equally, you can't balance a liquid filled tyre on a static balancer.

:thumby: I know nothing about the stuff but get your point (pun intended)

I of course was being flippant

As some of you may have seen I run a fairly modest channel where we review classic bikes (and some modern classics)

It started because I have been doing onboard videos for years (going back to 2005 when I strapped a big old video camera to my GS and filmed the adelaide hills)

Fast forwad to 2021 I am back living in the UK and back in touch with my mates from the 1970s and we have access to a load of very tasty classic bikes and a pretty good level of knowledge

So the process is :

Find negotiate and procure bikes to film
Arrange date for filming (hardest part when everyone is free bike is availible and weather plays ball)
Decide suitable location
Get whoever you are interviewing prepared and scripted
Whole day of filming Onboard with Go pro, Beauty and interviews mirrorless
Ensure clean Audio (this is much much harder than the video bit)

Post production
Go through everything you have filmed and recorded and choose optimum clips
Create the Story before you jump into editing (this is also vital ) ie Storyboard
Colour grade all clips to ensure they have a similar colour profile (DaVinci resolve or Adobe Premier)
Clean Audio using Audacity
Find any advertising pics etc
put all that together into a timeline Premier
Choose Audio (I use epidemic sound)

Create first cut

Send out to the team for review - this is an iterive process - I tell the guys to be brutal and can go through 5 or so versions
when you have the finished video send to the owner of the bike or shop owner for approval

Publish

Get slagged off coz it is shite in the comments section :)

I think that you should start the whole procedure with the storyboard.

I think that you should start the whole procedure with the storyboard.

I did with the first few but we have done 25 ish so far and TBH I have the format in my head and just make tweaks that are discussed prior to filming day

Sorry, I know that's not funny but I just laughed out loud...:D:D

A woman I worked with some years ago married, had an adorable baby boy and within three years divorced. Nothing new there you may say!

Part of the money side of the divorce was how they split paying back the loan they took out to pay for the fancy wedding.

Modern times ...eh?

tom

And then went to put it together adding soundtracks, stills and burning to DVD etc. As a novice the amount of hours that went into it, such a steep learning curve..... must have been 30-40 hours of graft. They separated after three years.

It is tough, when i first decided to edit my movies i gave up.

For a few reasons, firstly I realised i did not shoot the parts that link up the story.
And as a novice I had no idea how I could make it work.

For instance, I would pull into a carpark for a break or coffee, but as soon as I did, I turned the camera off.
Then as I pulled out to carry on my journey I started filming again.
It never occurred to me how strange this would look when being played back, until I was back at home with no chance of correcting it.

I decided not to try and piece together the videos to try and make it work.
It’s a learning curve, and then there is the editing itself which is another story

I did create the videos in the end by voicing over to explain what was going on and to fill in the gaps
It has worked to a degree, but its not ideal.

but to do all that for a wedding then they split up anyway, must feel like a smack in the face lol

Story is king - I have another channel that is just random rides but I use that as another area for testing etc.... that has a few subs but I dont promote it

As with any of this stuff if you dont have a story it tends to be a bit uninteresting, I have also discovered that people like interaction, we added to our videos a round table chat where we talk about the bikes and rip the piss out of each other, some of the other lads were doubtful that ayone would be interested, turns out since then our views have increased .... but it has to be natural, there is a lot of stuff out there where people put on a "I am on youtube persona" makes me instantly click off

but to do all that for a wedding then they split up anyway, must feel like a smack in the face lol

Ah not really, we (it was a joint effort with Bernie and I selecting soundtracks etc) were quite proud of the result and something we did “together” :)

But the skills and terminology learned easily carry from one editing software to another and I think it gets easier with software advances. That said I have never edited anything remotely as laborious as that wedding. And the stress… extra batteries bought and tapes

I started filming my rides and little adventures back in 2017 as a way of showing my friends and family what i'd been up too as many of them would always ask, it was also so that I could look back from time to time myself. Had a big gap of no riding for a few years but started again with a few little bits last year so dusted off the cameras as well.

I enjoy the creating and filming but agree it can sometimes get in the way of the riding and trip so like to keep everything as flexible run and gun style as possible (less faff and setup), may not be as professional as others but it works for me and as I say its a way for me to share my travels with friends and family... if others enjoy it then that's good also.

I shoot everything on action cams and iPhone, It works and is flexible and always in my pocket which is also easy to manage on trips.

love the idea of a portable sound recorder to get ambient sounds

love the idea of a portable sound recorder to get ambient sounds

Works great but make sure you include a synch point (clap is best) a lot of the good editors will do auto synch but its not always 100% accurate - plus it amuses your mates and gives them somethig to rip the piss out of you about which is always a bonus

When i did the NC500 i took a single camera, a Gopro hero 9. And filmed as much as i could.

I had no idea how i was going to put this footage together as i have never edited a video before.
i downloaded some free editing software and started..... and then give up!

Crikey, its one thing filming stuff but you need a computer degree to sort it out lol
as i watch a fair bit of YouTube, i now have a massive respect for anyone putting their videos out there.

Anyway roll on a year or so and my mate was asking what happened to the footage i filmed when we did the Scotland trip?
So i started tinkering and ironically watching other YouTube video on how to edit video using the software i downloaded.
and by some sheer miracle i managed to put something together that nearly makes sense!

Roll on a month and i have 26 people who have subscribed to my channel and over 350 views!!! (not exactly Itchy Boots i know)
i am amazed and i have to be honest i didn't expect views, i just did it as a challenge to myself and a little promise
to my mate who went to Scotland with me that i would share it with him.
i half expected my mate would be the only viewer lol

if anyone on here has a channel on YouTube that posts regular content, fair play to you! :thumby:

Me to respect for all of the YouTubers it snot easy I have been having fun on mine youtube@flapjackandbeans for over a year and i was the same started out trying cameras and all that im still trying not everyones cup of tea but i like doing it.

its there to generate money, not to be accurate.

Works great but make sure you include a synch point (clap is best) a lot of the good editors will do auto synch but its not always 100% accurate - plus it amuses your mates and gives them somethig to rip the piss out of you about which is always a bonus

i moved on from beeping the horn just recently and started clapping lol
i use Divinci resolve for editing and find the auto sync doesn't always work... especially when the Insta360 is attached to the lower crash bars for the front wheel shot etc
but for the 2 GoPro (helmet and bars) the clap works perfect.

Me to respect for all of the YouTubers it snot easy I have been having fun on mine youtube@flapjackandbeans for over a year and i was the same started out trying cameras and all that im still trying not everyones cup of tea but i like doing it.

Same, i am still playing at it and i know it.
so much to learn from getting the right camera shots, learning to use said cameras properly and of course the editing
I'm still not confident in front of camera but I'm getting better :D

My channel is https://www.youtube.com/@MotoTripTV don't be too harsh :)

either way i will keep it up, it gives me something to do, away from work... everyone needs a hobby ;)

Oh yeah great point, will be trying it out, been looking and the Zoom H1N looks like a good little starter and will do for not a lot of size or money.. will keep eye on the eBay.

Back
Top Bottom