Help needed on tent purchase

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m considering going to the Stella if not this year next, later a trip to the Nordkapp and it appears camping will be hard to avoid.

Years ago we used small lightweight tents for the IOM TT that were a PITA to erect and pack up. So my requirements are

Easy and quick to erect and put away
Two man, although it’s only for one, but I need some space
Compact and lightweight when packed
Robust and waterproof enough for say a week on the IOM

I’m less worried about, brand, price and colour.

I’d prefer to buy new and it be usable more than a couple of times.

What do folk recommend

I’m considering going to the Stella if not this year next, later a trip to the Nordkapp and it appears camping will be hard to avoid.

Years ago we used small lightweight tents for the IOM TT that were a PITA to erect and pack up. So my requirements are

Easy and quick to erect and put away
Two man, although it’s only for one, but I need some space
Compact and lightweight when packed
Robust and waterproof enough for say a week on the IOM

I’m less worried about, brand, price and colour.

I’d prefer to buy new and it be usable more than a couple of times.

What do folk recommend

I had a similar requirement last year and purchased a Vango Banshee 300. Sold as a 3 man tent, but just the right size for me and my gear. Pack size of the 2 & 3 man versions were very similar. Used it for a 10 day trip through France and Spain, very happy with my choice.

I’ve had a Vaude Mk II for the last 20 years. It’s dead easy to put up, really stable in strong winds and rain, and packs down to easily manageable size. Quality is excellent, and it’s still going strong. The current version is called a Mark L and comes in 2 or 3 person, I have the 3P which is in my view enough room for two plus gear.

https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Tents/3-Person/Mark-L-3P?number=114904000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used a Vango Omega 250 last year in Iceland and thought that it was good. Two man tent with a vestibule and plenty of room for me and my kit.

If money is no object then go for a Hilleberg Nammatj 2 gt at six times the price.

All good suggestions above.

However, if you want something absolutely bomb-proof, will survive storms et al, then look no further than the Terra Nova Quasar.

The flysheet on mine has just started leaking this year. I bought it in 1992 and must have used it all year round every fortnight for about ten years, then occasionally after that.

If you have the funds, it's well worth considering.

However, if you want something absolutely bomb-proof, will survive storms et al, then look no further than the Terra Nova Quasar.

The flysheet on mine has just started leaking this year. I bought it in 1992 and must have used it all year round every fortnight for about ten years, then occasionally after that.

As the man say's ..Terra Nova Quasar, 4 Season, Bomb proof, Takes 5mins to pitch, had mine over Ten years and its like new

The Southern Cross 2 looks better for me than the Quasar due to its pack size, weight and it’s pitch time.

The Redverz Hawk 2 and Vaude also look like contenders

The bike ones, such as Khyam and the Lone Rider are probably not my thing.

Disappointingly I cannot get to Olympia for the adventure show as we will be on the lash for another 50th.

The Southern Cross 2 looks better for me than the Quasar due to its pack size, weight and it’s pitch time.

The Redverz Hawk 2 and Vaude also look like contenders

The bike ones, such as Khyam and the Lone Rider are probably not my thing.

Disappointingly I cannot get to Olympia for the adventure show as we will be on the lash for another 50th.

Might be able to get you a deal on the Southern Cross, let me know if you’re serious and I’ll investigate.

Hillyberg, brilliant tents, I've got an Akto, been used for one night :) Must try harder

plus another one for the vango omega. get the footprint as well. the scouts use them for d of e. if its ok for them , it will be fine for you.

last year I bought a coleman tatra 2, which I used for 2 weeks around Europe.

Worked well for me and fits in a GS vario pannier.

Inner remains attached, so goes up and down reasonable quickly

A Quasar would be my recommendation as well, absolutely bomb proof and you can buy an extended fly sheet which gives more usable space for bike kit and cooking.

They’re quick to put up when you’ve got the hang of it but the only downside is they pitch inner first so pitching in heavy rain requires a special brand of dexterity or a towel to mop the inside with before putting anything in there.

A Quasar would be my recommendation as well, absolutely bomb proof and you can buy an extended fly sheet which gives more usable space for bike kit and cooking.

They’re quick to put up when you’ve got the hang of it but the only downside is they pitch inner first so pitching in heavy rain requires a special brand of dexterity or a towel to mop the inside with before putting anything in there.

Hence the Southern Cross 2, first outer first free standing tent Terra Niva ever made. Two doors, two porches, worked for them for a couple of years, the same guy has been designing them for over 25 years.

Hence the Southern Cross 2, first outer first free standing tent Terra Niva ever made. Two doors, two porches, worked for them for a couple of years, the same guy has been designing them for over 25 years.

It does look good but I like the extended fly sheet on my Quasar and though you could easily use a tarp to extend the Southern Cross it’d take a lot to move me away from using the Quasar.

Slumit Cub 2 or Gobi 3. Quick erect/pack, I've only used it for two years now so can't comment on heavy, continuous use - will find out this summer when I take it on a longer jaunt.

Slumit Cub 2 or Gobi 3. Quick erect/pack, I've only used it for two years now so can't comment on heavy, continuous use - will find out this summer when I take it on a longer jaunt.

They're ridiculously quick to put up/down, but a bit long when packed. Fits in a dry bag I have across the seat and is narrower than the panniers, but no good if you want to stuff it in a pannier. I have the Cub 2 and it's great, but I think I will get something with a useable porch/sitting area like a Tasman 3 or the equivalent Vango etc...

D.

Decathlon Quechua - £79 for the two man. Amazing quality for the price and packs down very small, easily fitting in the exhaust side vario pannier along with a sleeping bag, assorted bits n bobs and a pillow. Works in torrential rain! I looked at all of the major brands before deciding on this one and found that you had to pay three times the price to get even close. Plus only five mins to pitch.

Back
Top Bottom