Nav 5 map update

Paul B

Reaction score
Just download my nav 5 for the first time with 2014 update , however it seems to have taken all the memory. I guess the new map has not overwritten the old map ? Any ideas how I can remove the old maps ? :nenau

Edit - some posts below cleaned up or soft deleted for housekeeping - GM

-switch on Nav 5
-click on volume button (you'll enter main volume setting screen)
-push with your finger the upper right corner of the touchscreen for 10 seconds
-in the appearing menu scroll down to MTP settings, enter that menu and mark "Mass Storage"!
-get out of that menu
-connect Nav 5 to PC or Mac
-go to your system preferences and make invisible files (system files) visible
-see/find folder ".System"
-delete <strike>gmapsupp.img</strike> "gmapprom.img" out of that folder (this is the first map the Nav 5 was delivered with)

regards

Andreas

Edited at poster's request - GM

Make sure you do a full backup first in case it all goes tits up, which knowing Garmin is highly likely:blast

It works! Has been done a lot of times. I don't know why Garmin doesn't put the folder Map in the root by default and leaves the initial map/gmapsupp.img out of that hidden file area. But as we all know, Garmin is often not really user friendly and frequently delivers the same faults in new units. Without an intractable user community they probably won't be able to sell their GPS units anymore. :rob

@Shamone: Sorry for inconvenience!!!! The initial map is called "gmapprom.img" :augie

The following *.img's should be left in folder .System:

-gmap3d.img (shading 3d map)
-gmapbmap.img (Basemap Europe)
-gmapdem.img (altitude map with DEM data)
-gmaptz.img (Time Zone Map)

In the -not hidden folder- "Map" in the root of the Nav 5 there must be the City Navigator Europe NTU 2014.4.img with the corresponding gma file.

Corrected map name of map which has to be deleted. Sorry for mixing it up before!

@Shamone: Sorry for inconvenience!!!! The initial map is called "gmapprom.img" :augie

-gmapbmap.img (Basemap Europe)

In the -not hidden folder- "Map" in the root of the Nav 5 there must be the City Navigator Europe NTU 2014.4.img with the corresponding gma file.

Just deleted the gmapprom.img from the .System folder and City Navigator Europe NTU 2014 vanished off Base Camp, so I asume it vanished off the unit too.

Would this be because I don't have a 'Map' folder in the root of the Nav5 with the required City Navigator Europe NTU 2014.4.img and gma files?

Fortunately I didn't delete it but copied it to another drive. Once the error was realised I have moved it back the the .system folder and all is okay once again.

Unit still 90% full though :(

Paul! Delete the gmapprom.img and make an map update via Garmin Express but choose storing the map in Basecamp only by going to "advanced options"(faster).
After the new Map is downloaded to Basecamp use Map Install to send it to your Navigator 5.
Map Install will create the "Map" folder and you're done.

Everything is actually only about to know where Garmin loads the maps and how they are named! With the Nav 5 you'll only have issues when updating the map for the first time after purchase. After you have this Map folder you'll never have those friggin problems again with map updates.

.... make an map update via Garmin Express but choose storing the map in Basecamp only by going to "advanced options"(faster).
I have never been able to install the Map update onto BaseCamp as it always comes up with an error saying:-
Garmin Elevated Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost
I'm running XP pro on this machine so I guess it maybe something to do with that.

Thanks for the info though, most appreciated.

I have never been able to install the Map update onto BaseCamp as it always comes up with an error saying:-

I'm running XP pro on this machine so I guess it maybe something to do with that.

Thanks for the info though, most appreciated.

Hi,

Tried all that I now seem to have no maps ... !! I can't find the 2014 city nav files anywhere on the unit !
Although the nav is still showing 3.2 gb used . If I re download the maps it loads them as the original setting ????? Help :nenau:nenau

Paul G: That's definitely a Windows problem. I am using OS X Mavericks. The functionality of Garmin software is almost the same on both operating systems. Get rid of Windows .... ;-)

Paul B: No worry! You for sure didn't try everything, you must have forgotten some steps otherwise it should work. Do you have the new City Nav 2014.4 map installed in Basecamp?
If not, start Garmin express, click on map update and then click this little arrow on the right side which says "show details". A menu will appear with "Install" and "Advanced Options". Go to Advanced Options and choose "only on computer". Download the map to your computer and afterwards via map install to your Nav 5.
If Map Install won't install to your computer you can alternatively choose install only on Nav 5 only which I usually don't recommend because it takes ages! At least your Nav 5 will be equipped with the new map in that case.

Do not forget to always use the latest versions of Garmin software http://www8.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

In case of "emergency", if everything fails we should try plan B and find a way to talk to each other. Skype, FaceTime etc. (if you talk slowly without slang....I can write English but conversations are something different).

Catch,

Despite the Moderator's editing, this thread is going all over the place with bods reporting problems with your instructions or your explanation / naming of files. To save everyone some time and to avoid any chance of them screwing up their (expensive) Nav V's an hour before they go on holiday, might I suggest you:

1. Review your instructions carefully

2. Print them out, with clear screen shots of each stage

I am sure your method works but we now have two (or more) fellows reporting problems. Then, when it is plain that your instructions and screen shots do work, they can be edited down and made into a useful sticky.

Paul! Delete the gmapprom.img and make an map update via Garmin Express but choose storing the map in Basecamp only by going to "advanced options"(faster).
After the new Map is downloaded to Basecamp use Map Install to send it to your Navigator 5.
Map Install will create the "Map" folder and you're done.[/COLOR]

The one pitfall with the 'install to PC and then send to GPS using MapInstall' approach is that you'll loose things like Junction View (the photo realistic view of up and coming major junctions on motorways etc.) and 3D buildings (I'm making the assumption that the Nav5 has these, the 660 does). Both are relative eye candy and can be done without very easily though. Mentioning it just so that you're aware.

To those with any Garmin problems please try zumoforums.com
The info on there is incredibly useful and the solution to these map problems is in the stickies on their site. I know it's been posted on here now but we'll worth a visit.

Re the windows install issue, are you logged in as an administrator?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

The problem is very often that people either can't handle Windows or don't know how to use their Nav 5...or in worst case can't handle both :)

Mix in instructions that are wrong, followed by 'They work!'.... Followed by 'No wait a minute, no they don't there's an error in it' And the world can see why most IT departments are the laughing stock of the world.

Why not just write the lot out neatly and correctly once, check it again and post it here..... Screen prints (bods love pictures) are an optional extra....

Mix in instructions that are wrong, followed by 'They work!'.... Followed by 'No wait a minute, no they don't there's an error in it' And the world can see why most IT departments are the laughing stock of the world.

Why not just write the lot out neatly and correctly once, check it again and post it here..... Screen prints (bods love pictures) are an optional extra....

Followed all instructions as described .... Downloaded via base camp etc , deleted the correct file etc

Once I go into the system menu after unhiding files and delete the gmapprom file I get 3.2 gb memory in my unit ... Great loads of memory but no maps !!

I can reload on the garmin site or vase camp but end up with a full memory again ..... Anybody in Manchester area who is any good with these as I am about to launch the unit through the window .... I am sure it might be pilot error but surely you don't need to be a IT guru to programme a friggin sat nav !!!

I only want the extra memory for music .... I guess the simple option is to download my music to a micro SD card and put that in the unit .... Or just go to tescos and sing !!!

:blast

Oh, for feck's sake, all this and your other aborted post, just to get songs on yer navigation device. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g7N1nhUXkxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buy the SD card, load the songs (see umpteen threads on how to do it and - not surprisingly - umpteen more on why it maybe doesn't work) and leave the poor dumb device's maps alone to let it do what it does best.... Direct bods around from frozen northern Finland to scorching southern Spain.

To think we had a demand for a permanent sticky of this nonsense on day one :blast

:beerjug:

No problem with putting music on a SD card that's easy . My frustration is that I should have enough memory in my unit after one download to put music on if I choose to do do or have enough to download routes to it .

The unit costs enough money and should have a simple platform. Surely it's a design fault if it comes standard with maps and the updates come in a different format.

Anybody with sensible feedback or who can help please do so ..... Some of us don't have time to spend on the forum all day knowing where every page or thread is .... I fact funny I thought forums were about helping each other ?? :D

-gmapbmap.img (Basemap Europe

Should these be the only files left in system file ? I will screen shot the system file and send it over to you maybe that will help ?

Should these be the only files left in system file ? I will screen shot the system file and send it over to you maybe that will help ?

No Paul, there are much more files left but the above mentioned img files are the only *.img files which are left in ".System".
I tried to send a screen shot but I have no online storage which seems to be necessary for displaying photos in this forum.

Back
Top Bottom