Fuel Pump Regulator Failure

You're counted!

When: February 2007
Where: M11 Essex
Name: Happyhenry
Bike: 05 1200GS
Remedy: new one fitted
Days lost: 1 hour

Just bought the 15month-old bike from Cannon in Braintree and it stopped 5 miles later on the M11. They sent the van out and it was fixed on the hard shoulder in 5 minutes.

So far, 135 or so failures, from a sample of 7,840 members .....

Dodgy maths would show a failure rate of 1.72 % ? If we assume half the registered members have not noticed this, that pumps the figure up to around 3.5%

I thought I saw somewhere BMUU celebrating 100,000 units built, so that would equate to around 3,500 failures in all....

If we also assume half the registered members here own 650's/Airheads/1100's/1150's etc, that pumps the figure up to around 7% :augie

Do you have that information, i.e. of the registered users what percentage have R1200 derivatives ( the list seems to cover all models)?

It would certainly be interesting to get a more accurate feel for this. The higher the failure rate the more "prevalent" the problem is and the more strings Tim can have in his bow ...

Fuel Controller Comedy

Incorporated in 2007 figures. Presumably the wife wasn't riding pillion?

- When and where did it happen? M6 Nr Lancaster
- rider name Me
- bike details (model and year) 2007 1200GS
- remedy Recovery and new part later
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? 2
- Were there any incidental costs? No.

Happened at 4am on way to Birmingham as wife had gone into labour. Mightily impressed.
Ring Antenna a few months ago. Guess final drive next. Or fuel controller again.

Shame.Love the bike but am losing faith.

Now incorporated

- When and where did it happen? M4 May 2008
- Rider name Nick Kitchin
- Bike details (model and year) 2007 (57) 1200GS
- Remedy Bike recovered to BMW dealer and repaired under warranty
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? None (but only because I have a car and was able to drive to work instead - bike away for 2 days)
- Were there any incidental costs? No
Cut out in fast lane of M4, then restarted as I was pulling over to the hard shoulder. Finally died in town. Restarted okay to ride it onto the recovery truck...
Love the bike (once I got a decent screen...) but am unimpressed with the quality on a £10K premium bike. Lots of corrosion & two recalls (sorry, product enhancements) in less than a year.

Nick

Now incorporated in 2008 figures

When : April 2008
Where : Surrey
Name : Mike Oszywa
Bike : 06 1200GS
Milage : 29k
Remedy : BMW emergency fixed on spot

Now incorporated in 2008 figures

Yep May 08
07 1200gs
Repaired under warrenty 2 days

141 documented failures so far

2004: 7
2005: 10
2006: 22
2007: 43
2008: 58

After some digging I've found that the F range models appear to have a different design
controller (1614 7 708 312) from the 1200GS and as yet I've not identified any failures
- F800S, F800ST
- F800GS, F650GS twin

The fuel pump controller from the 1200GS/GSA (1614 7 694 999 and subsequently
1614 7 719 844) is fitted across the R and K ranges, e.g.
- HP2 Enduro, Sport and Megamoto
- R1200GS and GSA
- R1200RT, R1200ST, R1200R, R1200S
- K1200R, K1200GT

There have been some reports of failures on the HP2, 1200RT, 1200ST but I've not yet found failure reports for the 1200R, 1200S or the K1200 range. What is it about the 1200GS that causes so many failures? :confused:

Tim

While getting my bike fixed in Budapest, I happened to see a K1200R with its fuel tank off. The FPC is in a very 'sheltered' place compared to the 1200Gs and seemed to be mounted on a vertical surface. If water ingress is indeed a cause of failure this set would seem to make it less likely for water to pool and then trickle past the gasket.

Update: as of August the 1200GS/GSA FPC part number is said to be 1614 7 720 776

The part number for the one I received for my 1200RT was 16147719844

Added to 2008 list

Hi all,
First post here and unfortunately, real problem has prompted this.
Faulty Fuel Pump
- When and where did it happen - GS totally cut out suddenly, very fortunate it was an early morning run and was able to reach the safety of the kerbside in one piece.
- rider name - Lister Cumming
- bike details (model and year) R1200GS 05
- remedy - As no spares were available and a 2,000 mile plus trip round Scotland within days away - Technician bypassed relay with direct feed to battery and ran wires to a push connection up below bars. Meant I had to manually make and break a connection at each start / stop, this could be accessed while sitting on GS and with gloves on - Glad to say it worked very well.
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? - very luckily none!!!
- Were there any incidental costs? - none other than replacement relay.
Cheers,
Mac
mac163: welcome to the board and I'm sorry your first post was for a failure. You don't say when it happened (though I think I have a rough idea). Was the technician from a BMW dealership?

Tim

Added to 2008 list

Add me to the list...

I had just headed off on a run and got about half a mile from the house when the bike stopped as if it had run out of fuel.

Pushed it home - the last uphill just about killed me... and BMW should think about taking another 30kg off the bike's weight. Filled up with petrol from the car's spare can and tried to set off again.

Nothing.

- When and where did it happen? Early May, just outside Lenzie in Dunbartonshire
- rider name - Ken Seaton
- bike details (model and year) R1200GS, 2005 (05 plate)
- remedy - signed up for BMW emergency service and then called them out. Nice man came expecting to recharge my battery (not quite sure where the girl on the phone got that info as I said it was a fuel pump problem). However, guy said BMW had no spares in the country and were waiting for new supplies to arrive. However... he had just replaced one on a riding school's bike in Fife. It was suspect as it hadn't completely failed but at least it fired the beast up. I was able to use the "faulty" part until I got the new one from Motorrad Central West in Glasgow. Took a good few days to arrive and was then very painful in the wallet. Complained to BMW's press office.
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? None - just a brilliant sunny day's riding.
- Were there any incidental costs? No

I should add that my new pump module is part number 16 14 7 719 844

Ken

Couple More

Disappointing track record from BMW

- When and where did it happen?
A23 Coulsden, July 2006 1:00am (very feckin' convenient)
- rider name
The Bede (John Tremayne)
- bike details (model and year)
Jan 2006 (55 plate) R1200GS (red, in case that's significant!)
- remedy
Recovery to home, next day recovery to NOG for same day fix

- How many days work/holiday did you lose?
None ... but who the feck wants to be hanging aroung in Coulsden in the middle of the night waiting for a recovery truck, only to have to do the same the next day
- Were there any incidental costs?
Yes ... I spent £10K on a 'lemon'

And another one, on the bike 'subsidised' by BMW to replace the Lemon.

- When and where did it happen?
1:30PM(ish) Sunday July 20th 2008, Tipperary, R.O. Ireland
- rider name
The Bede (John Tremayne)
- bike details (model and year)
May 2008 R1200GSA (Grey)
- remedy
Recovered back to campsite, no lunch and no proper evening meal
Feck about for half a day waiting for bike to be recovered to Keary's in Cork
Feck about for the rest of the day stranded at a campsite, without food or money, waiting for the promised 10:00am rental car
Feck about for another day, not too far from Cork waiting for the fix to be done, news received at 5:30 too late to do anything about it.
Feck about the following day rushing to Cork to collect and load the bike then hell-for-leather-it to make the ferry
- How many days work/holiday did you lose?
4 days out of 8 fecked
£30 in cellphone calls and 4 days of expensive trip down the dunny.

Added to 2008 list

Has Flash Of The Gap replied to this yet?

He had a failure while we were riding across Germany last month.

He had his good lady on pillion & I think he paid 400 euros to get transported to our hotel.

One of our crew had a spare, swapped it over & it started OK confirming it was the controller.

13 BMWs, 3000 miles, 1 failure

Twice, once in West Coast of Ireland and once on Oxfordshire

Yet another case of multiple failures for the same rider :(

When and where did it happen? March 2007, West Coast of Ireland
- rider name Don Carmichael
- bike details (model and year) 55 plate 1200GS
- remedy, fuel pump controller replaced at Cork BMW as part of warranty
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? 4 days of holiday but BMW Assist paid for hire car and all hotels
- Were there any incidental costs? Lots of phone calls and having to drive a cage for most of a biking holiday!!

When and where did it happen? May 2008, Oxfordshire
- rider name Don Carmichael
- bike details (model and year) 55 plate 1200GS
- remedy; fuel pump controller replaced with controller from new model 1200, which I'm told by BMW North Oxford is a new design; North Oxford replaced FOC even though our of warranty.
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? Without bike for a week
- Were there any incidental costs? Lots of mobile phone costs. Lucky I had AA and I was near enough to North Oxford to claim it was the nearest practical garage.

Added to 2008 list

- When and where did it happen? Cahors
- rider name
- bike details (model and year) 2005 1200GS
- remedy - bike recovered after a 5 hour wait to garage
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? a full day getting the bike to the local BMW dealer who fixed it in 15 mins using the controller from a new bike - with the words (in English) "French technician triumphs over German engineering"
- Were there any incidental costs? Maybe the cost of advertising this bag of **** for sale in view of subsequent problems with gearbox potentiometer and now servo/abs - still done less than 12,000 miles

I already had these, but the extra detail is useful.

Hi y'all, this happened to me twice : details :

First R12GS
- When and where did it happen? Spring 2006, close to Brussels
- bike details (model and year) R12GS june 2005
- remedy Called BMW assist, they sent Belgian AA, then recovery truck. Dealer took 3 days to repair the bike, I drove my car instead.
- How many days work did you lose? 1/2 day.
- Were there any incidental costs? Bike stranded, public transport.

Second R12GS
- When and where did it happen? Spring 2008, Germany, Eifel region
- bike details (model and year) R12GS december 2007
- remedy Called BMW assist, they sent BMW servicemobile, then recovery truck. Next day BMW Cologne stripped a new bike of a pump controller so I could continue my trip.
- How many days holiday did you lose? 1 day
- Were there any incidental costs? Hotelcosts payed by BMW service card.

I've bought a spare that I carry with me on trips abroad.
I check the area around the pump controller regularly, and have it checked by dealer when bike has maintenance.

Added to 2008 list

- When and where did it happen? M25 outside lane 70mph
- rider name TalonFS (Simon Darch)
- bike details (model and year) 2007 1200GS
- remedy - BMW customer assist replaced FPC
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? Day off work

was on a BikeSafe assessment yesteday when the engine just died, popped the petrol cap as we thought there might be a fuel lock, this helped, but had several other stoppages on the wya back to the venue. after an hour or so back in the classroom it was time to go home - had no problems, bike ran smoothly for the 15 miles back home. put it down to the heat of the day!!!!!

this morning the bike fired up fine and ran smoothly for 10 miles, cruising down the outside lane of the M25, there she goes again, no power, managed to get to the hard shoulder where she fired up again no problem. I decided to take a detour via Tunbridge Wells, but the engine died with increasing occurrence on the A21. finally decided to call BMW assist who were with me in less than an hour, replaced the offending unit, and away I went - no probelms on the way home, will have to go for a longer ride to confirm it is the FPC, but it certainly looks likeit.

When: 10.12.07
Where: Chorley Lancashire
Rider: Tim James
Bike: GSA1200 2006 / 15,982Mls
Remedy: BMW assist replaced fuel pump relay
Days work/holiday did you lose? None
Incidental costs: none

Think I need to now add myself to this thread rather than the other one ... because of this! :(

Added to 2008 list

More info...
- When and where did it happen? Mon 28th July at 8am, Westbound A720 Edinburgh City Bypass, while filtering (it was quite 'interesting'!)
- rider name SpyInTheCamp (Kai)
- bike details (model and year) 2005 1200GS, 30,600 miles on clock
- remedy - AA took it to local delaer.
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? Half a day off work
- Were there any incidental costs? Taxi to collect bike when it is ready. Plus costs of replacement presumably as the bike is out of warranty. I'll update this later when I get 'the bill'! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom