XCountry (ABS) Changing Front Brakes Lines

essjay

Reaction score
The front brake lines on my XCountry look in a bad state so I want to change them (pipe exposed through broken braided cover).

Anything special I need to do here? Bleed the fluid, change the lines and refill from the master cylinder? Anything to be considered with the ABS?

Also coming out of the ABS "box" (where the lines feeds into from the master cylinder), there's metal piping coming out and into a second braided line which goes to the caliper. Any reason I couldn't bypass that metal piping with a longer braided line to the caliper?

Good thread, I'm interested in this. Does the ecu come into play at all when messing with abs?

Your last question. If you bypass that line wouldn’t you loose your ABS? JJH

I'm not thinking of bypassing box, just the metal piping between the box and lower brake line.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190921-120354_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190921-120354_Chrome.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 168
I’m only guessing and urging caution before you go ahead. I have no experience on these and was thinking along the lines of “what if that’s the pipe that’s used to relieve the pressure on the calliper to pulse the brake”. It’s there for a reason. As your replacing the other hoses why not do that one as well. I’m sure someone will be along to give a knowledgable answer. JJH

Here's some photos of the current break line

i-SJcJZs7-X2.jpg

And it seems the upper clamp might be causing issue when on full lock
i-SjcxgX3-X2.jpg

This pipe on the top right I was wondering if needed. I wasn't sure if it was just there to "neaten" the route of the brake lines
i-qfF4Bwj-L.jpg

Also, what's this for under the brake lever (looks like a switch)? Looks like 1 cable in and 1 out but one of them is severed.
i-NfxLzZR-X2.jpg

Anyways, back to the break lines question. Any jiggery pokery required besides just bleeding the system? My front master cylinder looks like it's weeping so might need a seal/kit for that.

Maybe check mot regs. If there is evidence of something having been fitted, then it may have to work. Your proposal will still leave abs switch, abs pump, abs ring apparent.

I have de abs'd one previously. I fitted a front brake system from a non abs bike (in effect bypassing that splitter, with one hose from my master cylinder to the caliper)

Those damaged hoses you refer to are expensive from bmw.

Here's some photos of the current break line

i-SJcJZs7-X2.jpg

And it seems the upper clamp might be causing issue when on full lock
i-SjcxgX3-X2.jpg

This pipe on the top right I was wondering if needed. I wasn't sure if it was just there to "neaten" the route of the brake lines
i-qfF4Bwj-L.jpg

Also, what's this for under the brake lever (looks like a switch)? Looks like 1 cable in and 1 out but one of them is severed.
i-NfxLzZR-X2.jpg

Anyways, back to the break lines question. Any jiggery pokery required besides just bleeding the system? My front master cylinder looks like it's weeping so might need a seal/kit for that.

Looks like your front brake light switch.

Maybe check mot regs. If there is evidence of something having been fitted, then it may have to work. Your proposal will still leave abs switch, abs pump, abs ring apparent.

I have de abs'd one previously. I fitted a front brake system from a non abs bike (in effect bypassing that splitter, with one hose from my master cylinder to the caliper)

Those damaged hoses you refer to are expensive from bmw.

I can get HEL braided lines made up for around £30 each.

Back
Top Bottom