Two silly questions

Maybe a new thread with a list of useful sites like Carpimoto.it and Louise.de.......... especially if it can be confirmed something has been ordered and delivered hassle free post Brexit! It's a whole new world:blast

Excellent idea, ill start it later if you folks dont beat me too it.

Home grown suppliers also, we forget its easier and more rewarding sometimes to go to our local bike shops.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For car stuff I'm giving autodoc a go. Excellent prices, german based and hopefully they'll have the good sense to send it direct to Ireland.

Unfortunately for us our business is only very small for the likes of m and p to bother doing anything. They are brilliant for tyers. It might be a good time for the likes of horsepower to have a look at restarting their business. JJH

I'd say that Crossan in Newry will still be sending tyres south as we are still in the EU

..... Unfortunately we who live outside the UK ........

Unfortunately? Yes traditional supply lines are disrupted - as a consequence of UK action.
Fortunately we are part of a bigger market - a mere change of habit required.
The old was good - the new might well be better but as good will do.
Unfortunate is a word that may well reverberate with greater resonance in the UK in the coming years?

True - I have 3 yokes in the shed that I imported over the last few years but had no plans on extending the collection.
My long standing relationship with motor works & moto bins is likely in the past - I'd be happy to deal with the UK on a zero vat export basis & then pay EU (Irish) vat but not both.
Who on the continent is recommended for BMW spares /consumables?

I've been using a crowd in Holland called De Hobbyist a lot these days www.hobbyist.nl . Unfortunately their site is only in dutch however I just paste the oem number in to their search box and that usually finds everything I need.
After that I just email them my shopping list and they send back a quote which I can pay for by bank transfer. They're also very helpful re any queries and all speak/type perfect english.
I also know a local dutch fella who's helped me with a few important words such as "pattern part" "stainless" etc.
Cheers
Fran
ps I've no connection with them other than giving them a lot of dosh.

Unfortunately? Yes traditional supply lines are disrupted - as a consequence of UK action.
Fortunately we are part of a bigger market - a mere change of habit required.
The old was good - the new might well be better but as good will do.
Unfortunate is a word that may well reverberate with greater resonance in the UK in the coming years?
Problems even buying stuff from European shops at the moment.........most goods coming to Ireland via UPS, DHL etc etc.....come through UK hubs (Tamworth)

S20 5G sent this......

Home grown suppliers also, we forget its easier and more rewarding sometimes to go to our local bike shops.

Quite so. But the way we’re going there won’t be any local bike shops left. And apart from them employing our countrymen they all pay taxes in this country which contribute to all our standard of living.

Yes, I have bought stuff off t’internet cos I either haven’t been able to find it locally or it’s been in a sale. What I would never do is go to a local bike shop expecting them to stock a range of sizes of boots, trousers, whatever and having found my size buy it from a foreign johnnie

Rant over :rob

The days of a cheap flight to GB to buy a bike and a road trip home are gone..

Mobile.de...a longer flight but a better road trip

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

if you haven't time to collect in person why not consider delivery from Memmingen with Overlanders of Gorey ?

very good to deal with and in my experience not expensive ( no connection but have used bike transfer)

from Europe to Ireland not VIA the UK

maybe there is a need for a Parcel MOTEL in Cherbourge or some where on the MAINLAND of Europe that will get cheap postage and sensible delivery to Ireland , like Parcel Motel but not VIA the uk to keep it simple brush up on your langauges lads

Just got a pair of gloves yesterday delivered by UPS from a German seller.
They seem to have come direct into Ireland from France........where previously they would have gone through a UK hub (possibly Tamworth)
Hopefully the larger carriers can adapt to this quickly, otherwise even buying from European websites will be difficult.

Expecting another delivery from a French seller and they use DPD (the French version, Chronopost) it has already been returned to sender while still in France and it is on its second attempt at the moment.
Fingers crossed

S20 5G sent this......

I went to Bikeworld yesterday for a pair of gloves..great chat, great discount and great service!

Re. AMI/Overlanders. Great lads to deal with, honest and willing to help with anything.

I went to Bikeworld yesterday for a pair of gloves..great chat, great discount and great service!

Re. AMI/Overlanders. Great lads to deal with, honest and willing to help with anything.

I've bought a lot of stuff over the years from the above mentioned companies plus Megabikes, Cotters, Lee Motorcycles. The only brand of gloves that I can get onto my shovels (and believe me, I've tried them all) is a brand that is not stocked in Ireland........"Five" a French company that only make bike gloves.

In the last week or so I have delivered several packages that came in from the UK to GSers here on our mainland.

Local car parts supplier still unable to supply all the parts I needed as of 8 days ago, they also have an online shop and supply much of the trade in this area. So I said I'd try www.Autodoc.de . Well they had all I needed, parts arrived today and cost me €535 delivered to my door as opposed to €811 if I'd used the local supplier. This is exact parts comparison, not different brands. Also ordered a few things from amazon.fr 5 days ago they arrived today via anpost and were posted in Ireland although contents had french labels and obviously intended for French Market. I suspect none of these came via UK. I can't believe how much I saved on those car parts.

Heres an introductory €3 coupon for autodoc if anyone wants it. Coupon is No. AC11221549

Buying goods online coming from a non-European Union country
PAGE CONTENTS
Warnings
Customs duty
VAT
Excise duty
The Customs Declaration
Customs clearance fees
As regards information displayed on this page, the Island of Heligoland, the territories of Büsingen, Ceuta, Melilla, Livigno, Campione d'Italia and the Italian waters of Lake Lugano are subject to the same rules as non-EU countries.

As soon as you buy a product from a non-EU country, then effectively you become an importer and become liable to Customs and Excise Duty as well as Value Added Tax (VAT) payments. If the terms of sale do not specify another arrangement, the goods would normally be held by the Customs Authority at entry, pending the payment of duty and tax.

Customs officers examine packages arriving from outside the EU in order to:

check for prohibited or restricted goods - such as illicit drugs,
confirm that the description and value stated on the Customs Declaration is correct and
check the Customs Declaration to determine if Customs Duty, Excise Duty and/or Import VAT are chargeable.
Warnings
VAT, Customs and Excise duties are likely to be paid on top of the advertised purchase price.
A Customs Declaration must be submitted.
Some commercial websites may offer to show a value on the Customs Declaration that is much lower than the actual price paid so that you don't have to pay duty and/or VAT which may result in seizure of the goods.
Customs duty
On the basis of the data provided in the customs declaration, the supporting documents that accompany it and any information which they may request, the competent customs officers determine, impose and collect Customs duties that are due.

Customs duty is calculated as a percentage of the customs value of the goods:

The percentage or rate varies depending on the type of goods. You can check the tariff applicable in the TARIC database.
The customs value is made up of:
the price paid for the goods,
the insurance cost,
the shipping cost.
See how the customs value is calculated in the EU Member States.

In some cases additional duties may be charged, depending on the country of manufacture of the goods. The TARIC database coves all measures relating to tariff, commercial and agricultural legislation.
Customs Duty is not due for goods, provided directly to the buyer when their value does not exceed 150 euros.

This exception does not apply to perfumes and toilet waters, tobacco or tobacco products and alcoholic products which are subject to special limits on the quantity provided.

VAT
The import VAT is calculated as a percentage (VAT rate) of the taxable amount.

The VAT rate is the one applicable in the country where the goods are being delivered.
You can check the VAT rates applied in each countrySearch for available translations of the preceding link•••.

The taxable amount is made up of the customs value plus the duty paid and the transportation and insurance costs up to the first place of destination within the EU.
VAT is not due when the total value of all goods in a consignment (value not inclusive of customs duties or transport costs) is less than a threshold. The threshold may vary from 10 euros to 22 euros, depending on the EU country. Certain countries however, exclude mail orders from the exemption. This exception does not apply to tobacco or tobacco products, to perfumes or toilet waters and alcoholic products.

You should check with your national tax administration (national links/websites), which has the competence in this matter.
The import VAT may either be included into the overall delivery price or not.

If the import VAT is not included in the price paid to the seller (which is the common situation), you will have to pay it to the postal company or express courier, or directly to the customs if you clear the goods at customs yourself. In the latter case, the procedure differs according to the country.
You should check with your national tax administration (national links/websites), which has the competence in this matter.
If you pay all inclusive, you will be paying import VAT to the seller when paying the total price. But if the import VAT is not properly estimated by the seller, or if the seller fails to ensure the transfer of this VAT amount to the customs, you must be aware that national legislation can hold you jointly liable.
Excise duty
The goods will be held by the Customs Authority at entry into your country, pending the payment of excise duty.

Rates of excise duty are set by each individual Member State. See the applicable rates for alcoholic beveragesSearch for available translations of the preceding link••• and tobacco productsSearch for available translations of the preceding link•••.

See which EU Member States apply excise duty exemptions for small gifts.

Cigarettes and hand rolling tobacco must bear health warnings and fiscal marks, and containers of spirits that are larger than 35cl must bear a duty stamp.

The Customs Declaration
The Customs Declaration provides information to the Customs authorities about the goods that you are importing.

This declaration must be submitted by a person established in the EU or his representative who is able to present the goods to customs. In the ordinary case this could be the buyer, the company that ships the goods or the carrier who acts as a representative.

See national rules and procedures applicable to customs declarations.

If you are the person who submits the Customs Declaration, a courier company may offer to make the declaration on your behalf, but there is normally a charge for this service.

If you are not the person who submits the Customs Declaration, you should verify with the supplier that it is submitted.

The Customs Declaration should indicate correctly the nature of the goods and their value not taking into account taxes, charges, transport or other additional costs.

Some commercial websites will offer to show a value on the Customs Declaration that is much lower than the actual price paid so that the customer does not have to pay duty and/or VAT when the goods enter the Member State of import. It is in the customer's own interest to make sure that the declaration has been submitted and is accurate. If no declaration is made, or the information in it was found to be inaccurate, the acceptance of the declaration, and thus the delivery of the package to the receiver may be delayed or even not take place as the Customs officials are entitled to make further enquiries and impose penalties and sanctions as the case may be. The packages sent by post have to be accompanied by a CN22 or CN23 Declaration, as required by the special rules of the universal postal service.

The Customs Authority in your country is entitled to open and examine any package if it considers this appropriate. Packages might even be seized by Customs and, when appropriate, destroyed.

Customs clearance fees
The customs clearance is the documented permission to pass that the national customs authority grants to the imported goods.

The customs clearance is typically given to a shipping agent to prove that all applicable customs duties have been paid and the shipment has been approved.

The shipping provider may charge a customs clearance fee or customs handling fee for processing the import declaration, an advancement fee for paying the duty and VAT on behalf of the recipient, an airline handling fee for loading and unloading the goods, a security fee for screening or x-raying the goods and a fee for preparing the customs declaration.

These charges will vary from company to company.

When goods are brought into the European Union by postal operators such additional charges are limited to the costs of the customs clearance procedure.

Member States cannot impose charges related to customs clearance higher than the actual costs incurred.

On Amazon.co uk I ordered a £50 hair trimmer 8 days ago to use up a gift voucher.. They charged about 20% import fees. The parcel was shown on their tracking being processed at a customs facility in Trafford Park UK and then the next day it entered a hub in Dublin. The parcel arrived to me with no indication of its uk origin, just a anpost label as if posted in Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom