Germany Austria Slovenia etc.....another view

Well he missed a bit!
f562b01535d5cd012a3e70a221dd0f61.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Filthy slog up motorway to next stop....a very quirky amercan style motel called Road Stop Neanderthal (?) at Mettmann just west of Dusseldorf. Adjacent motorway and, in theory, only 2 or 3 hours from Ijmuiden.
Interesting fittings and decor!
847dbb1fc49cffd0d8b97c7a1b5639c3.jpg
c3a5327bead7154bfe1ce0ae95f4a182.jpg
ff56e8ee6ebe53c2075cdde85a5c09e5.jpg
c881c74e04ec92783b68607ed7b9472e.jpg

Excellent supper....ribs, burgers, steaks etc.
Would recommend as an overnight in striking distance of ferry
3f1d97e49813fbdb27dd56fd432f9f47.jpg
daa70730994f0f5ebb35f4bb7dc3d390.jpg

Good one Gerard :thumb2

Great to see an old duffer like you taking your daughter away on holiday ....really lovely. Quality time indeed :thumb2

:beerjug:

I can go all over Europe and get Wifi and fast 4g.

Come home to Scotland and what is there....fuck all. Router stopped working while I was away and insufficient g's to use the phone. Pathetic. Fucking 3rd world country up here.

You'll need to wait to hear about our shoddy treatment by DFDS and my appointment and discussion with the Chief Officer of the Princess Seaways.

Come home to Scotland and what is there....fuck all. Router stopped working while I was away and insufficient g's to use the phone. Pathetic. Fucking 3rd world country up here.

You'll need to wait to hear about our shoddy treatment by DFDS and my appointment and discussion with the Chief Officer of the Princess Seaways.

In the mean time, enjoy your free prescriptions and university fees:D

I had excellent 4G when up at yours :D

Knackered broadband....no engineer til 23 July, pathetic mobile signal....crap

Knackered broadband....no engineer til 23 July, pathetic mobile signal....crap

Walter Scott didnae need 4G! Man the feck up!

Oh Caledonia, stern and wild,
Meet nurse for a poetic child!
Land of brown heath and shaggy wood,
Land of the mountain and the flood,
Land of my sires! What mortal hand
Can e'er untie the filial band
That knits me to thy rugged strand?
Still as I view each well-known scene,
Think what is now, and what hath been,
Seems as, to me, of all bereft,
Sole friends, thy woods and streams were left;
And thus I love them better still,
Even in extremity of ill.
By Yarrow's stream still let me stray,
Though none should guide my feeble way;
Still feel the breeze down Ettrick break
Although it chill my withered cheek;
Though there, forgotten and alone,
The bard may draw his parting groan

(Copied and.pasted via 4g!)

If you want to take Scotland back to the 17/1800's that's fine....I'd prefer it if I can get the same service from modern technology here as I can in the rest of Europe.

Any how....

Our final night was in this quirky but fun place at Mettmann....excellent grub and terrific breakfast. Ideally situated to stop over on the way to the ferry...just under 3 hr run to Ijmuiden. I'd prefer being early at the ferry to panicking if the very busy motorway system in this area of Germany and Holland falls over....and it can.

So a lunch in the restaurant at the end of the harbour.....excellent fish, and then round to check in.

We joined the end of a fairly large gaggle of bikers and waited our turn, eventually up into the bowels of the ship.
They crammed in far too many bikes far too closely. So tight that there wasn't room to squeeze between the panniers of adjoing bikes in many cases. In their efforts to get as many bikes as possible, we were put where ther were no tie down wires or cables to properly anchor the bikes.
ac9d06a58ef2433f6265209b7ee86cb4.jpg
09e4e009d858ddb056d743963f7ccc36.jpg
410bbbf31c8153306e25b195f6862c53.jpg

They should have reduced the number of bikes across by one, and ensured there were adequate tie down points....there was a cable to the rear of my bike, but to the left, the only hook was just by the front wheel.
96b1ada247f2d7b9e3eba0152cff211f.jpg
c380b98424ce7b53d5c6e6358c5946e4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom