Modified the new 1250 - can you spot the difference?

Nice job Fred, different, and pretty cool....:D

you tell em Fred. have it for your needs

Hi Fred, in one of the pics I can see a small padlock next to the toolbox. Have you come up with some way of locking the lid? I've got a very similar H&B toolbox tube
and would feel less paranoid if I could lock it.

Hi Fred, in one of the pics I can see a small padlock next to the toolbox. Have you come up with some way of locking the lid? I've got a very similar H&B toolbox tube

Yes - will take some pics and post later.

Fred

When I was modifying the Shad pannier mounts I added a bracket on each side to mount the tool tubes to and made it long enough to partly overhang the lid. I then put a hole in the end of the bracket to line up with a stainless steel ring fastened to the lid with a locking nut on the inside. It turns out that the thread on the lid always puts the lid in the same position when fully tightened, so I was just able to mark the required position of the ring on the lid when fully tightened knowing that it will always come back to the same position. In use I usually just back off the lid position a little to tighten up the padlocks so that they don't rattle.

I found an old picture of the completed arrangement which should give you a good idea of how it works:

A6K-3047129-5680-XL.jpg

Can't find details of the padlocks, but bought as a pair which used the same key and are supposed to be weather resistant.

Ring bought from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M0JJY98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
51nzXY46WsL._SL1000_.jpg

Thanks Fred. Does the eye bolt go through the plastic of the lid, and if so, do you get any rain/dampness penetrating into the tube?

Thanks Fred. Does the eye bolt go through the plastic of the lid, and if so, do you get any rain/dampness penetrating into the tube?

Yes it needs a hole in the lid, but I made the hole a very close fit and put a little sealant on the inside, so have had no problems with water getting in.

Bike looks good Fred, as has been said. All well fitted together.
As a "tool tube expert" I continue to be amazed that they do not gain any moisture inside despite (or because of?) the little hole.

Bike looks good Fred, as has been said. All well fitted together.
As a "tool tube expert" I continue to be amazed that they do not gain any moisture inside despite (or because of?) the little hole.

Thank Bem - and to others who have made positive comments. There must have been a change of shift at the UKGSer comment mills and the cynics have gone home!

I first fitted the tubes to my 1200 a couple of years ago and had forgotten about the "breather" hole. In my case it is well sheltered under the mounting bracket and I haven't experienced any moisture ingress, but if you do, I suppose you could drill another hole in the lowest point to allow any water to drain out.

Thanks again Fred. The sealant makes sense
I'll have a go at something similar with mine. I'm new to the GS and the lack of room under the seat did come as a bit of a surprise!

Back
Top Bottom