100 years since the first competitive off road motorcycle event...

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...apparently. So, today various clubs convened on the regional venue in Bagshot to recreate the event.

This was absolutely superb. As I write I can hear the modern bikes racing, but earlier in the day it was the classics and there were some real beauties.

The track was a nadgery forest trail with lots of climbs. The mixture of bikes... I have never seen such a strange, but brilliant mix. It was a one hour event, with bikes setting off in 4s at about 1 minute intervals, In the one class here were, to name just a few... Ariels, Matchless, TL125, loads of Triumph twin period scramblers, a 6 month old Triumph Scrambler 1200 (ridden by the proprietor of West London Triumph, I believe), some T7 Yamahas, which looked particularly at ease, a KTM 990 adv, BSA C15s, Metisse Triumph, a Scott, something that looked like a Honda CB50, a Yamaha SR500 (yes, not XT), an XL185...... it was like the whacky races, and absolutely brilliant.

Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture5.jpgPicture6.jpgPicture7.jpgPicture8.jpgPicture9.jpgPicture10.jpg

I really love the old big capacity long-stroke heavy-flywheel thumpers. They look like museum pieces, but on the steepest climbs they can come almost to a standstill, then open up and just thump their way up with consumate ease. Fabulous.

Plenty of riders in jackets and ties... and plenty of riders about as old as their bikes. What a lovely event.

Back
Top Bottom