1250 RS Question

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How close to the GS riding position is an RS with tubular handlebars? After many years on various GS's I'm thinking of a change. The standard bars look a little too far forward and a bit of a stretch for me after the fairly relaxed position of the GS. I realise that a test ride will give me the answer, but I would be interested to hear your various views.

I'd like to tell you but mine's still in the bowls of the mothership :mad:. @zoltan has one with the tubular bars so might be able to help. How tall are you, I'm 5'7" and with the standard clip ons the demonstrator I had a go on was a bit too wristy for me.

have a look on cycle ergo website?
I've now had a look on the website. Interestingly the RS1250 is there, but not a GS1250 so I had to use the GS1200 as a comparison. I think it's a US site so everything is in inches.

The info I got back:

RS1250 - seat height 30.6" Forward lean 18° Knee angle 79° Hip angle 77° - I don't think this allows for the tubular bars.
GS1200 - seat height 36.6" Forward lean 1° Knee angle 97° Hip angle 104°
A smaller number ° means more bend in the joint.

Quite a difference. Sit on it and try it seems the only logical answer.

I’ve got an RS and changed the standard bars to the Wunderlich ones, link to their site here (uk vendors available!).

I didn’t find the original bars too uncomfortable or ‘wristy’, but these ones suit me better, riding a bit more upright.

Also on cycle-ergo, try comparing the GS to the 2015 1200R as I think that the R sitting triangle is similar to the current one or an RS with the higher bars.

Last edited:
I’ve got an RS and changed the standard bars to the Wunderlich ones, link to their site here (uk vendors available!).

I didn’t find the original bars too uncomfortable or ‘wristy’, but these ones suit me better, riding a bit more upright.

Also on cycle-ergo, try comparing the GS to the 2015 1200R as I think that the R sitting triangle is similar to the current one or an RS with the higher bars.
Good call Elgringo.

R1200 - seat height 32.1" Forward lean 9° Knee angle 81° Hip angle 86° - much better. I intend to try one next week.

Best of luck! Pity we’re not closer, or you could try mine.

I kept the standard bars on mine but fitted up/back risers.
I was expecting knee angle to be an issue as my left knee is a bit dodgy but the RS riding position gives no problem at all.

I tried sitting on the 1250R to get an idea what the straight bars feel like, but found the angle of those uncomfortable, hence why I stayed with the standard bars.

I’m near Grimsby if you want to sit on it.

I went to a 15 plate 1200R from an 06 GS, i found the riding positions pretty close but seat is a fair bit lower so I felt cramped and my knees complained a bit, subsequently I got a sport seat & lowered the pegs 30mm and it has made fine for me, but even with the sport seat it is still lower than the std gs seat.
I‘m nearly 5’ 11” and 30” inside leg. I tried the RS and it was far too much leaning fwd for me but I didn’t know about the bar replacement kit🤦🏼‍♂️

Good call Elgringo.

R1200 - seat height 32.1" Forward lean 9° Knee angle 81° Hip angle 86° - much better. I intend to try one next week.
There are 3 seats options on the 1200R & RS.

Al.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess we are all different sizes and with different requirements for a comfy ride. Good to know about the seat options.
Test ride next week.

When I was testing the RS the demonstrator had the normal clip ons, but the dealer had a R1250R sport in stock which I sat on as he said the R sport had the same bar seat relationship as an RS with the tubular bars (which are different to the bars on a standard R)

I'm not sure I agree with that 100%. My new 1250R has the sport bars and I think they are just a bit higher and wider, but I could be wrong. With the tubular bars you do yet a small amount of adjustability by rolling them forward/back in the clamps.

I simply fiotted Helibar risers to my RS and it's all day comfortable for me. The knee angle as also good with the higher sport se seat fitted as standard. I came from a GSA and have spent longer in the saddle over a one day trip on the RS which was just perfect for me. The difference between it and a GS is that it feels a lot more sprightly and has a sporty feeling to the ride in comparison but you still get most of the toys.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess we are all different sizes and with different requirements for a comfy ride.
...and different needs from a bike. For more urban stuff I'd takes the GS but for mile munching I prefer the sports tourer position of an RS. Horses for courses.

I'm not sure I agree with that 100%. My new 1250R has the sport bars and I think they are just a bit higher and wider, but I could be wrong. With the tubular bars you do yet a small amount of adjustability by rolling them forward/back in the clamps.
I had a test ride on the normal R a couple of weeks before but didn't hop between that and the R sport to check what the difference in riding position was back to back after I'd had a go on the RS so I honestly can't say. I was just trying to get a feel for what the difference between the clip ons and tubular bars was on the RS and took what the salesman said to be correct, though that might not be the case!

Back
Top Bottom