2009 GS Front engine cover removal tool?

Titan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Sorry for being the fella to make a first post with questions bit I'm really struggling!
I've been trying for the last few day to remove the timing cover from my 2009 GS it's badly corroded and needs a refurb.

I've removed all bolts and I've been tapping all around the seam with a soft face dead blow hammer while levering in the only spot possible at the top but I cannot get the cover to budge at all.
When I say levering, I've been using a pry bar with all of my weight against it and I'm actually amazed that I haven't snapped anything.

I've seen with the earlier models that you could make a pulling tool to use against the bearing. Has anyone made anything for the later models without the lower bearing and shaft? I know this would mean pushing against the crankshaft but I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.

Thanks for any help that you guys might be able to provide. I've searched through most forums but there's a suspicious lack of info regarding engine covers on the 3rd gen GS's

Titan

Hello everyone,

Sorry for being the fella to make a first post with questions bit I'm really struggling!
I've been trying for the last few day to remove the timing cover from my 2009 GS it's badly corroded and needs a refurb.

I've removed all bolts and I've been tapping all around the seam with a soft face dead blow hammer while levering in the only spot possible at the top but I cannot get the cover to budge at all.
When I say levering, I've been using a pry bar with all of my weight against it and I'm actually amazed that I haven't snapped anything.

I've seen with the earlier models that you could make a pulling tool to use against the bearing. Has anyone made anything for the later models without the lower bearing and shaft? I know this would mean pushing against the crankshaft but I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.

Thanks for any help that you guys might be able to provide. I've searched through most forums but there's a suspicious lack of info regarding engine covers on the 3rd gen GS's

Titan
You haven't mentioned taking the alternator belt drive pulley off? If you have done that, and got the TDC locking pin in, the cover should come off (double check all the bolts are out) and it is glued on with some sort of sealant so maybe a bit of heat might help.

You haven't mentioned taking the alternator belt drive pulley off? If you have done that, and got the TDC locking pin in, the cover should come off (double check all the bolts are out) and it is glued on with some sort of sealant so maybe a bit of heat might help.
Hi Gelandestrasse,

Yeah TDC is locked and the pulley and belt have been stripped.
I did think about trying heat but wondered if it would be counterintuitive considering the heat that it would usually be exposed to while running.
At this point I'll try anything though. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Titan

Probably hanging on the top and bottom front cover dowels.
On the early 1200`s you could make a puller to push the cover off against the countershaft.
The hole / plate and bolt holes are no longer there on the TC , can`t remember about the 09.
Would apply the heat where the top and bottom dowels fit.

Back
Top Bottom