2024 R12 & 9T Wankenpanzerlicht

Having seen them at the NEC today, the one thing that stood out to me was the handlebars on the R12 (not the R12 NineT); quite a bit higher than the old bike.

I'm wondering if they will fit the old model?

I know it’s fashionable to make negative comments about anything new but I really like the R12Ninet. I bought a Scrambler X to replace my original R Ninet as I liked the look but the R12 Ninet is the first bike for a long while that would tempt me to change again. I particularly like the shape of the tank. Reminiscent of the R100r.

Having seen them at the NEC today, the one thing that stood out to me was the handlebars on the R12 (not the R12 NineT); quite a bit higher than the old bike.

I'm wondering if they will fit the old model?
likely

I know it’s fashionable to make negative comments about anything new but I really like the R12Ninet. I bought a Scrambler X to replace my original R Ninet as I liked the look but the R12 Ninet is the first bike for a long while that would tempt me to change again. I particularly like the shape of the tank. Reminiscent of the R100r.
The new R 12 nineT is a nice, subtle evolution from the R nineT.

The new R 12 is a bigger step from the earlier R nineT Pure, gaining USD forks and better brakes, but the reduction in suspension travel might give it even worse ride comfort than the earlier model, and I'm not overly convinced by the way they have capped the power, to facilitate the option of an A2 version.

I'm sure the bars will fit, but the question is whether the handlebar wiring is long enough.

The BMW rep on the stand spouted the long-lived BMW advertising stuff about the bike being designed to be easily customisable.

"Does that mean there are accessory wiring extensions available to make it easy to fit high bars?"

"No"

reduction in suspension travel might give it even worse ride comfort than the earlier model,

Coilover suspension for cars and vans has less travel than OEM setup, yet more often (not budget) the ride is actually much more pleasant. For example, my mate has an identical T6 VW Transporter as a day van/camper and has fitted Bilstein B14 Comfort coilovers, (he’s a tart) to lower it 70mm & to improve that “look at me” curb appeal 😎.
Yet my van has standard OEM setup, ride difference is day and night. His is smooth and flowing, where mine is crashy unless carrying a minimum of 600kg in the back. So less suspension travel for a road bike is not necessarily a bad thing, how stiff is the spring for the rider is what counts.

I'm not overly convinced by the way they have capped the power, to facilitate the option of an A2 version.

BMW configuration showing (I didn’t thing that’s right) A2 version of R12 nineT. So that will be exactly the reason why it has been capped at 95bhp and have asking price over £2k less versus the nineT variant. It is all designed to attract a younger generation of motorcyclists. Especially if change in CBT/Licensing does go ahead.

I'm sure the bars will fit, but the question is whether the handlebar wiring is long enough.

The BMW rep on the stand spouted the long-lived BMW advertising stuff about the bike being designed to be easily customisable.

"Does that mean there are accessory wiring extensions available to make it easy to fit high bars?"

"No"
I am sure that Pier City Cycles will have loom customisation adaptors in stock. They live and breathe all things RnineT and no doubt the next gen being R12 nineT

Last edited:
Been away from the BMW twins for four years, just selling my Ducati Diavel 1260s, Rocketship speed, quirky looks but not the perfect bike for me. I really like the look of the new R12 R9T, the GS & GSA's was getting a bit two tall and heavy for me and I really do like the older 1200 twin engine, I'm not doing big miles anymore this could be the next (and keeper) bike for me, time to do a bit of research before spring, although I have never ridden one a lot of people have had negative vibes about the old R9T ride.

Been away from the BMW twins for four years, just selling my Ducati Diavel 1260s, Rocketship speed, quirky looks but not the perfect bike for me. I really like the look of the new R12 R9T, the GS & GSA's was getting a bit two tall and heavy for me and I really do like the older 1200 twin engine, I'm not doing big miles anymore this could be the next (and keeper) bike for me, time to do a bit of research before spring, although I have never ridden one a lot of people have had negative vibes about the old R9T ride.
Don't be put off by the ride, depending on your weight it maybe OK but 90% of rider probably think its a hard ride. But it's not hard to rectify if you like the bike, cost wise about £5-£600 for a compliant comfortable ride its not a difficult to do yourself but you can also spend £1000+ getting the same but with shiny gold casings.

Don't be put off by the ride, depending on your weight it maybe OK but 90% of rider probably think its a hard ride. But it's not hard to rectify if you like the bike, cost wise about £5-£600 for a compliant comfortable ride its not a difficult to do yourself but you can also spend £1000+ getting the same but with shiny gold casings.

Now there’s a topic, weight, I’m probably in the top 10% of the heavier tossers on here. Suspension was always an issue until the last GS I had with Dynamic ESA Suspension. See what options they make available next year.

I am sure that Pier City Cycles will have loom customisation adaptors in stock. They live and breathe all things RnineT and no doubt the next gen being R12 nineT
Forgot to follow up with this.

Contacted Pier City and they said they didn't have loom adapters, so a change to the higher bars would require an expensive cut & extend job on the existing wiring loom.

Back
Top Bottom