48 States Road Trip

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks fun

b86539c8f9e005522ebe8abc4777807e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's 1500 miles a day - crazy! I once did 1500 in two days with 1000+ of those in under 24 hours, across Indiana, Illinois Missouri, Kansas and into Colorado on an ST1100. That was more than enough.

I did a trip last year starting in Chicago and heading south ending up in Dallas. Back north in a more eastern route into Michigan and then Chicago. 3,500 miles in 2 weeks. We stayed 3 nights in Dallas and Oklahoma and Michigan. Of course we could have done more states but as it was we were passing lots of places of interest. We were in a car. Little Chevy Cruze. 100 miles for 10dollars. Great trip. Hopefully get something like it together this year. Probably October. JJH

"A Route Through All 48 States" :unsure: - What's he got against Kansas, his route crosses into Kansas for 30 miles then out again, that's hardly through the state. (Kansas City is in Massouri - unless your Donald Trump of course...), maybe there not a lot to see in Kansas. :nenau

http://randalolson.com/2015/03/08/computing-the-optimal-road-trip-across-the-u-s/
When the number is the target, not the destination!
It seems to be important to some of our cousins to achieve such a thing - we met one in `17 on our Alaska tour. He lived in NY and had started to tick off the states when he turned sixty or so - he was 73 at the time. Only Honolulu and one mainland state left for him, hope he made it :unsure: . I lent him a buff now I think about it 🤬
And really, its no different in concept to LE_JOG or Nordkap is it?

There’s not much to see on a lot of that route and you’d see even less of it at that pace - seems totally pointless to me.

Reactions: JJH
There’s not much to see on a lot of that route and you’d see even less of it at that pace - seems totally pointless to me.

But then for many Brit bikers, Route 66 is on their bucket list .
Yet it’s very uninspiring and really not worth riding .

Sent from my N65

Sent from my N65
We were running alongside rute 66 for a few miles. JJH

Sent from my N65
I heard that about Route 66 but there are some parts of the States and Canada (mostly mountains) that I’d like to explore although no ambitions to do any ‘iron butt’ rides now.

And just think of the number of biker friendly hotels, things to see and do, cafes and fuel stops they’d need to be told.

That is after being given chapter and verse on how to hire a motorcycle and whether their phone would work…. Oh and whether it might rain on day 57 and, if so, at what time.

Last edited:
And just think of the number of biker friendly hotels, things to see and do, cafes and fuel stops they’d need to be told.

That is being given chapter and verse on how to hire a motorcycle and whether their phone would work…. Oh and whether it might rain on day 57 and, if so, at what time.

And should they remove one stand from their steed before going ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my N65

There's not that much of the original left since the freeways were built. Places of note that we have visited on 66 in AZ are Kingman (pic), the Grand Canyon Caverns and Oatman the preserved cowboy town complete with mock gunfights and burros.

2007_0227xdcard10214.JPG

This ultra long haul stuff is quite popular in the US and normally done by riders who have seen everything anyway. It's just a test of endurance for them and they aren't worried about bimbling up Hwy 1 looking at the seals on the beach.

There was a guy who completed 100,000 miles in 100 days in 2022 which is utterly crazy. Can't remember his name but he did write a book about it. I think his first name is Chris but couldn't be sure.

Some of you will know John Young from these shores who is an Iron Butt rider of some note. God knows how many he's done but clocking up huge mileages for the hell of it, is what he does.

He did a 10,000 mile in 10 day Iron Butt challenge in the US some years ago but unlike the guys on their highly modified Pan's, GSA's, big HD's etc etc, he rocked up on a 1969 Triumph Trident. At the start they just laughed at him but when he completed it, he was like a bloody hero!! He does talks at MC clubs on it and it's worth going along if you get a chance.

He was my accountant for years and is utterly barking mad. :ROFLMAO:

It's not my cup of tea for sure.

Good one for Royal Enfield. That’ll shake up the awsome Adventure (with a capital A) bike market…. No wait a minute…. It can’t be true, it’s in MCN.

Back
Top Bottom