A wee trip to the Picos - Now including GPX files, too

Mzokk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I haven't done one of these reports in yonks but I enjoy reading them so here goes..........

I left Greater Belfast for Spain on the 8 September to head for Rosslare in Co Wexford. I went with two friends who I’ve been riding with 40+ years. (Combined age of the three of us 193😊). They had been coming to Northern Spain for over 20 years but this was my first trip there though I have made several trips to France, Belgium, Norway, Italy and Southern Spain over the years. We left about 10am and the boat was not scheduled to leave until 11pm that Friday night so we plotted a route giving Dublin a wide birth and through the Wicklow hills. It is an area none of us knew well as we normally head to the wet west coast of Ireland for trips.

Spain1.jpg

It was unseasonably warm in the East of Ireland that day with temps of 28-29 C in Naas and 27C at the top of the Wicklow hills! On the whole warmer than Spain would be!

Spain 2.jpg

We stopped in Rosslare town for Fish and Chips then off to the Ferry Port to get the Salamanca which runs directly to Bilbao in Northern Spain. A big improvement from my previous european trips which necessitated a ferry to Scotland and a 500 mile trek through Scotland and England to catch ferry’s on the south coast of England

The Salamanca is comfy and only two years old. It runs on LNG instead of Diesel so no oil smells on the deck or in the hold.

The boat docked at 8am Sunday morning after a very smooth crossing the Bay of Biscay was like a millpond and we even saw a school of common dolphins,

We headed Straight into the Hills above Bilbao and a 189 mile route to Potes. We were soon on high twisty roads.

Spain 3.jpg

Spain 4.jpg

Spain 4a.jpg

Potes is a Picturesque town

Spain 6.jpg

Up next day to do a scenic loop. Great roads

Spain11 Sept 23.jpg

Spain8.jpg

Obligatory Pictures of the Deer and the Bear,

Spain9.jpg

Spain10.jpg

Very steep little excursion lots of very tight hairpins

Spain11.1.jpg

Spain11_1.1.1.jpg

TBC........

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol - my heart did sink when I got to the top & there was a Harley sticker up there lol. Not going to lie I found it hard going & thankfully we did not meet any vehicles on the way up or down.
Great views from the top so well worth the effort.

Off we go....

Lunch in Ponga

Spain 11.9 lunch_1.1.1.jpg

I was gratified to see Id hit my highest terminal velocity on this section of the trip 😊 the joys of Zumo XT GPS calculations in hairpins!

Spain15.jpg

On the 12th We headed to Cangas Del Narcea

Spain14.jpg

View of the Mountains from Proaza

Spain16.jpg

The road to Puerto de San Lorenzo which became significant in a couple of days time.

Spain17.jpg

Cangas Del Narcea

Spain18.jpg

The 13th Dawned bright and foggy time for a loop run

Spain19.jpg

Above and in the clouds at Puerto del Palo (1146 m.)

Spain20.jpg

The Salime dam

Spain21.jpg

Spain22.jpg

10 miles upstream

Spain23.jpg

Revellers in Cangas Del Narcea that night.

Spain24_1.1.1.jpg

TBC...........

The road to A Fonsagrada would be fantastic on a sportsbike with fast open bends..........we tried our best :)

Another Day another loop :)

Spain25.jpg

Looking Toward Pico El Siete

Spain26.jpg

Running into La Vuelta on the road we passed a couple of days before This is in Teverga. Several Yamaha Nikens and a couple of Africa Twins as camera bikes. Plus the whole of the Asturia and Cantabrian police force out on their R1200RT's must have been at least 60-70 passed us.

Spain27_1.1.1.jpg

Cafe across the road does great Asturian Stew.

Last pass Before Cangas

Spain28.jpg

Trek back to Potes.

Spain29.jpg

Started very wet and only 12c Had to stop about an hour in and put on Extra layers.

Dried up reservoir at Láncara de Luna showing the old roads and field walls

Spain30.jpg

Carlos Fernández Casado Bridge. Note the level of the reservoir 20m or so less than it should be.

Spain31.jpg

Temperature climbed as we headed to Potes ended the day at 27C.

Final day was a reverse of the first back to Bilbao but looking at the views coming from the opposite direction always feels fresh

Senic View of the Petro-Chemical plant from the last hotel 😊 Only 10 mins to the boat though.

IMG_20230916_182553484_HDR (1).jpg

Interesting experience in the Hotel. When were booking in, a smartly dressed middle-aged Spanish bloke assisted with the booking in process as our pigeon Spanish was obvious. When we had settled, we retired to a veranda at the front of the Hotel for a refreshing pint. The bloke who had helped us was sitting at the other end of the Veranda smoking a cigar and reading a paper. We where chatting when the Automatic gates of the Hotel car park swung open and four Spanish police cars came in and the occupants dressed in full fire arms garb, helmets (only eyes showing under their balaclavas) with hand guns and two machine guns jumped out and told us to get into the hotel lobby and approached the cigar smoker…..who didn’t even look up from his paper. After about 20 minutes the Police left and the bloke who had been questioned wandered into the hotel lobby and said with a smile on his face “we are all going to Jail”. Turned on his heels went out to veranda lit another Cigar and settled down with his newspaper again as if nothing had happened. I’d have loved to known what was going on (Drugs ETA??) but hadn’t the balls to ask 😊

Good smooth Crossing back to Rosslare and a quick run up the M11 M50 M1 Back to Belfast. 11 days door to door Enjoyable trip.

Enjoyed that and will certainly follow in some of your tyre marks when I next visit the Picos.
Thanks for posting. (y)

What better way to spend a few weeks in September. Lovely area done it twice now , and there is still lots to go back for.
Thanks for taking the time to post

Mzokk has kindly shared the GPX files with me, so that I can add them to this thread.

Tap on the image and it should open.

Last edited:
My thanks to Mzokk for the report, pictures and GPX files. If anyone hasn’t been to the area but wants to go, the opening post and subsequent thread should give them an instant holiday, with little to no effort.

Hi Mzokk. cheers for this report and mostly for posting today Gpx files. I will be leaving Belfast in May 2024 to try and copy these routes. many thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom