ABR 2023

Please could we see some pics from those that went?

Not mine as I didn’t go, but the TRF Trail looked a bit ‘swampy’
9ba9d18c70514eb721706302047ec610.jpg

07895728521d4c01310645938ff1045b.jpg

Not mine as I didn’t go, but the TRF Trail looked a bit ‘swampy’
9ba9d18c70514eb721706302047ec610.jpg

07895728521d4c01310645938ff1045b.jpg

Heh heh, I stalled the KTM right in the middle of that, but managed to get going and powered out with a bit of a rooster trail. It was quite a lot worse than the Bog o'Doom which at one stage had an Africa Twin and a GS stuck in it good and proper.

Abr this was my third year, Really enjoyed it the previous years but this time it seemed every time you opened your mouth it cost you a fiver!
A couple of mates were queuing for test rides at what seemed like the crack of dawn.. I trying not to be too negative but as mentioned before its become a money spinner and good for them. Lots of enduro bikes on the trails where it was our understanding from ABRs email 2022 any bike with no pillion setup would be refused entry to the trails.

4th year at ABR really enjoyed it apart from the super hot weather that was too hot for me. A lot more trade stands this year than in other years which is good not so good for my wallet. Will definitely be back for my 5th year and I am looking forward to seeing what they have planned.

4th year at ABR really enjoyed it apart from the super hot weather that was too hot for me. A lot more trade stands this year than in other years which is good not so good for my wallet. Will definitely be back for my 5th year and I am looking forward to seeing what they have planned.

Count yourself lucky - I bought an entire Africa Twin!!

080054a698e24d93710f20b2f4bd81ea.jpg

Count yourself lucky - I bought an entire Africa Twin!!

080054a698e24d93710f20b2f4bd81ea.jpg
I saw them on a trade stand going to get myself a BMW r1250 one but I got talked into buying other things really don't need but it will make my like look good lol

Of all the things I could have bought, trust me this one was the least expensive option :D:D

I got back Tuesday after another night in the campsite we used on the way up. Nice spot, a proper country pub with good food and beer (Otter) at decent prices. website says £17.50 a night but they'd only take a tenner.

Enjoyed the ABR festival despite me being take it or leave it about the speakers, just not my thing. There's only so many times I can listen to some random droning on about border crossings. Lyndon Poskit did a professional and entertaining presentation and we had a fun chat with him on his stand. Saw a bit of Ryan F9 and thought he was good but was dragged away by non techie mates who were interested in bikes not content creation :rolleyes:

Lyndon Poskitt aside, the other guests I saw were staged in an interview format and some of the interviewers were not really much good at it. Simon and Lisa were particularly dull, but then everything I've read by them has been spectacularly dull as well. Vanessa Ruck was a lot more fun. Interesting hearing Chris Birch talking and his display riding was even better. He can definitely ride a bit.
Don't follow Itchy Boots so didn't see her appearances but did witness a massive queue for signings afterwards. An endless stream of, mostly blokes, wanting selfies and signed paper, clothing and body parts. Shaking hands, pawing and even kissing. Eew. Poor woman.
I had a good seat for John McGuiness but the missus rang just before he came on so I left and the place was rammed when I got back, so I went to get another pint of Butty Bach and check out Fleetwood Back. An unkind person might see a slightly chunky "Stevie" and think Fleetwood Snack, but they were pretty entertaining. They were the only band I saw. Friends said McPint was very good and the best thing they saw all weekend. Such is life.

Did the Bridgestone Trail and the TRF trail which were more fun than I thought it would be, and the standard of riding was a lot higher than I was expecting too. I passed a few slower riders, but got in the way of more :( I got passed and failed to keep up with some quick KTM 890Rs and even a few of the famous "well ridden GSs", one of them tore past me in company of an Africa Twin. Got the fuckers when they hit the mud though :ROFLMAO:
There's only so many times I wanted to go in procession around the busy trails in Saharan heat though, and that number was 1. Glad I had a go though.

Notes and observations:

Toilets and showers were good, but got busy at key times. Wait a bit and walk straight in.

The guys I ride with at local TRF are generally fit, slim wiry people. Huge proportion of ARB crowd were big fat fuckers (my people). Also loads of injured folk limping about and many with legs missing. Bikes, I suppose.

First time I'd seen a Guzzi V100 in the flesh. I'm a long time Guzzi fan and have liked the photos. It looked awful.

Country to expectations, card payment worked fine everywhere and I never used any of the cash I took.

Phone calls and text OK, Data non existent on 3.

Didn't do any test rides. I wasn't interested, I don't like getting up at 6:00 in the morning and if I see a queue I need a good reason not to walk away. I met some who'd had multiple test rides like kids collecting stickers.

Needn't have bought a ticket. The security was virtually non existent at check in. No scanners to check the QR codes just a cursory check. No one checked anything* after that and I could have driven into the check in park and out the other side and into the campsite. We got wristbands but no one ever checked them.
*the yellow trail sticker for my helmet was glanced at as I entered the trail, not so much the type of allowable bike.

I realise a lot of what I've written is negative, but I really enjoyed the weekend. Great atmosphere with no hint of trouble. The best bit was that whenever I sat down I got talking to someone as obsessive about bike as I am. I must have talked bollocks with strangers for hours. Loads of bikes to look at, mostly the sort I'm interested in.
I'd go again, but not for a couple of years as it would be too much the same and I wouldn't bother with taking a bike though I'm glad I did this year just to check it out.

"And who decided to put the large sound control tent thing right in front of the stage!!!!!"
The sound desk is always in front of the stage. See Glastonbury coverage.

Back
Top Bottom