ABS Switch Over Year

tunnie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tried searching, as I'm sure this question will have been asked. But can't find the answer. (sure someone will find it in 2seconds!)

But which year did they switch over the ABS, as one used review mentioned the 2006 GSA and ABS issues.

Just wondering if I should be picky and get a ~2009+ era, would it be any better?

Budget means 2006-2010 era is within my purchase range.

the later 'normal ABS' unit as used on most cars with the ESP pump on the side, came in late 2006 (I believe) and is the just as unreliable unit as each other used all the way to 2013, which saw the introduction of the liquid cooled bikes (that basically have a later version of the same designed to fail units)

this later ABS bike's have the option of retrofitting an agricultural Traction Control system...

Note: the later models around 2009 got a different engine and all after 2008 a different gearbox... the gearbox might be a good idea (although I prefer the more positive change of the older box) the later engine depends how you ride - if you don't understand how to ride or go very slow... the refinement at low revs and economy of the TC (twin cam) might make your day - if you ride on the limit, the older engine whilst gruff and gravely at higher revs has a power curve that ideally suits the grip and the handling set up to perfection - and is thus twice the bike of the later mistake

Last edited:
Thanks, so no real benefit then going for a little later on? I had a 2006 56 GS some years back, now fancy a GSA. Seen an 09 plate with ESA etc. But quite a few 06/07's in budget. I don't ride fast, just being on the bike is good. Camping stuff on the back etc. Had no complaints with my old gearbox really.

The servo ABS was dropped on 2007 MY bikes. These were available in late 2006.

AFAIK the non servo system is a lot more reliable than the servo stuff.
AS Above 100% Plus no residual braking horrors!!!!

Plus it can be repaired/ upgraded by fitting the ABS motor from a Fiesta 7

It is somewhere in these great halls

Last edited:
Reactions: MWH
2010 Twin cam if in your budget, 08 or 09 are pretty sorted single cam models. As others I'd avoid servo models, more to go wrong IMHO. I have an 09 and it's been great on the whole (except the fuel strip isssue).

The servo ABS was dropped on 2007 MY bikes. These were available in late 2006.

AFAIK the non servo system is a lot more reliable than the servo stuff.
This is the only answer you need. Steer clear of the pre 2007 servo/abs. Post 2007 is the much more reliable ABS only unit.

2010 Twin cam if in your budget, 08 or 09 are pretty sorted single cam models. As others I'd avoid servo models, more to go wrong IMHO. I have an 09 and it's been great on the whole (except the fuel strip isssue).
Thanks, seen an 09 model I want on Autotrader. Still working on wife-approval!

Reactions: MWH
This is the only answer you need. Steer clear of the pre 2007 servo/abs. Post 2007 is the much more reliable ABS only unit.
Thanks Steptoe.

I came to see you many years ago with my 2006 GS and you gave it a great service. What ever bike I get, soon as I have it, I'll be booking a service with you (y)

I would go with 2008/2009 MY . Quite a few small differences, this article covers them including 5 bhp extra.
People bang on about TC 2010 MY onwards but I didn't like the smoothness, I prefer the more manly grrr of the single cam (y) :weights

Build from September 2006 (2007 model year bike) had the newer type (non-servo) ABS.
To the best of my knowledge.

I had two '07 models and had to recondition the ABS on both of them.

Sent with a Zen10

wow last two posts from grown ups telling the truth - that's rare on this forum

I would go with 2008/2009 MY . Quite a few small differences, this article covers them including 5 bhp extra.
People bang on about TC 2010 MY onwards but I didn't like the smoothness, I prefer the more manly grrr of the single cam (y) :weights

Yes snap, I remember taking my (at the time '56 plate GS) to BMW for a service. Before I knew about Steptoe. They lent me the new TC and I preferred the sound of mine.

Yes snap, I remember taking my (at the time '56 plate GS) to BMW for a service. Before I knew about Steptoe. They lent me the new TC and I preferred the sound of mine.
...I rode a 2010 TC around some fast open hilly roads when they were just out - thrashing it to death as much as I could. I couldn't get it within 10mph of the extreme speeds my earlier one would reach rather too easily flying up some very long hills. And it wasn't just numbers on a display, my older bike felt much faster everywhere, and then we had the later bikes drone at tickover...

since had a 1290 KTM with not much of an exhaust, and that recalcitrant pig, plus age, retrains quite a lot of your thinking / hearing / trust in technology and the capability of software writer's

I finally threw the KTM in the skip (where it belonged, after suffering just 2k miles in 5 years) and I guess its senility that made me buy a 1200GSA TC, with the idea of adding cruise control - but its engine , its lack of throttle adjustability, offense back to front small text cluster display, massive handlebar vibration, and vile handling characteristics means I can bring myself to ride it...

the only defense for the abuse I'm about to receive... 10 plus years back - I was once looking at a GSA and the BM sales guy said how he loved the feel of the GS bikes with spoked wheels. He stated the fact it was more compliant on potholed roads, and he enjoyed the flex you could feel from them on high speed bends...
I left thinking he was on magic mushrooms re the spoked wheel comments, as how can they be that different...

but now... yes on a GSA the front feels much better at low speed and I can image this might be safe to try and find a dry green lane - whereas my older GS should be banned from off road use as its unrideable. But I don't get how the slight front geometry changes and the stiffer cast wheel can make the old one safe for full attack on a public roads, whilst the GSA is horrible especially when stopping quickly... one is 'normal' and the other is all over the place and wildly dangerous

Last edited:
...I rode a 2010 TC around some fast open hilly roads when they were just out - thrashing it to death as much as I could. I couldn't get it within 10mph of the extreme speeds my earlier one would reach rather too easily flying up some very long hills. And it wasn't just numbers on a display, my older bike felt much faster everywhere, and then we had the later bikes drone at tickover...

since had a 1290 KTM with not much of an exhaust, and that recalcitrant pig, plus age, retrains quite a lot of your thinking / hearing / trust in technology and the capability of software writer's

I finally threw the KTM in the skip (where it belonged, after suffering just 2k miles in 5 years) and I guess its senility that made me buy a 1200GSA TC, with the idea of adding cruise control - but its engine , its lack of throttle adjustability, offense back to front small text cluster display, massive handlebar vibration, and vile handling characteristics means I can bring myself to ride it...

the only defense for the abuse I'm about to receive... 10 plus years back - I was once looking at a GSA and the BM sales guy said how he loved the feel of the GS bikes with spoked wheels. He stated the fact it was more compliant on potholed roads, and he enjoyed the flex you could feel from them on high speed bends...
I left thinking he was on magic mushrooms re the spoked wheel comments, as how can they be that different...

but now... yes on a GSA the front feels much better at low speed and I can image this might be safe to try and find a dry green lane - whereas my older GS should be banned from off road use as its unrideable. But I don't get how the slight front geometry changes and the stiffer cast wheel can make the old one safe for full attack on a public roads, whilst the GSA is horrible especially when stopping quickly... one is 'normal' and the other is all over the place and wildly dangerous

Thanks for the detail, yes keen to get a GSA this time (spoked) - as I had a GS before.

Back
Top Bottom