ADHD treatment for kids

shugie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We're looking at relocating from Engerland to central Scotland, been planning this for a while as wife's work wants her to work in their Stirling office.

Our youngest, 16, is diagnosed with ADHD, not currently on medication and does not want to be, the local services here in West Berkshire for anything other than medication are pretty much zero.

Anyone in Scotland, and Stirling area in particular, got recent experience with CAMHS service delivery? PM is fine if you don't want to offer an opinion on the forum.

ADHD is still not dealt with properly anywhere really.
I don't think people know what the solution is, drugging the poor kids isn't the answer.

My son as ADHD pretty bad and they gave him strong doses of Ritalin which turned him into a Zombie, as a parent it was awful to see so we took him off it.
there was certain situations where we felt he needed Ritalin and just used it then.

He went through his complete School life with 1 to 1 in the classroom, but even that had a negative effect, without someone constantly prompting him he did nothing, he grew to rely on the 1 to 1
so to help him once he left school they removed the 1 to 1 a couple of years before he left, as you can imagine this ruined his school life.

He's 29 now and unemployable and just as bad as ever, we was told he would likely grow out of it at 14!
he gets jobs then gets sacked after a few week because of his outbursts and refusing to do anything he feels he should be doing.

Such a shame cos he's a bright lad and he goes out of his way to please people, if anything he over does this as he knows he has problems and wants people to like him.
Out in the real world people take advantage of this kindness all the time and it annoys the hell out of me.
Other people just think he is an outspoken, childish prick and don't have anything to do with him
His younger brother put up with him, they are not best mates really (he's 23) but he understands he cannot help it.

I don't know how bad you son/daughter has ADHD, your 16 year old is at a tricky age.
the transition from school to the real world is really tough for ADHD sufferers and they need lots of help to cope.

Good luck 👍

Services aren’t great anywhere as far as I can determine - two year waiting lists around here, so I had to go down the private route for a young family member, very expensive but no other option, both for medication or psychological help.

Have you been in touch with the schools in the area you are looking to buy in to see what SEN ( Special Education Needs) facilities they have in Place.?
I know that over here we are spending millions upgrading the SEN facilities and staffing in main stream schools to vastly improve child welfare and integration.
I don't know if the Scottish government is doing anything like this but may be worth asking the school.

Good luck Sir.

My nephews who live in Linlithgow are both ASD with the youngest (now 14 and who also has ADHD) still attending the local High school, Linlithgow Academy. Of course that's West Lothian Council rather than Stirling or Falkirk. That school has an autism base where he can go if the classroom is too much and get a quiet space and some 1:1. The school seems more accommodating of those who are diagnosed as neurodiverse but it can be hit or miss with some of the teaching staff. My nephew has been able to access CAMHS to continue the medication.

His older brother (autism) got through to 4th year and then dropped out of the school system in 5th year. The support was simply not there at the time. Now he is 20, he has been accessing CAMHS and has been prescribed anti-depressants to help him cope with the anxiety of engaging in daily life.

I have seen that Braes High School in East Falkirk has been tagged in the local Facebook group as quite supportive of those with additional needs. We've not dealt with them though.

BTW, I've recently been advised by my GP practice that there is 6 month referral wait to access mental health support in the Falkirk area. I'll keep taking the pills and find support from Maggies.

I agree that getting the education setting right is key. You don't say if the lad is in year 11 or 12 but you should be looking to the right college or 6th form anyway. EHCP is not a thing in Scotland. Info here https://enquire.org.uk/parents/choosing-school/moving-to-scotland/ about moving to Scotland.
Been a bit of a disaster so far, in an ideal world starting Nat 4s might make sense, but age wise it should be halfway through Nat 5s, Stirling Council have been helpful so far, noticeably more so than West Berks here, who've more or less given up. Looks like McLaren High in Callander is catchment, so will get started with them in a couple of weeks. Not going to be easy though, the "system" is very averse to repeating academic years,

I'd heard good things about both Linlithgow and Braes, but I stayed in Falkirk before, and have no particular desire to return, it was fairly run down then, but seems to be rammed full of new housing now. Also want to keep the commute to Stirling Enterprise as low as possible, and the traffic round Falkirk/Larbert is not good for that. The Hillfoots are better in that respect, but Alva school does not seem good, and Clacks is so tiny I'm not sure what their resources are like.

Been a bit of a disaster so far, in an ideal world starting Nat 4s might make sense, but age wise it should be halfway through Nat 5s, Stirling Council have been helpful so far, noticeably more so than West Berks here, who've more or less given up. Looks like McLaren High in Callander is catchment, so will get started with them in a couple of weeks. Not going to be easy though, the "system" is very averse to repeating academic years,

I'd heard good things about both Linlithgow and Braes, but I stayed in Falkirk before, and have no particular desire to return, it was fairly run down then, but seems to be rammed full of new housing now. Also want to keep the commute to Stirling Enterprise as low as possible, and the traffic round Falkirk/Larbert is not good for that. The Hillfoots are better in that respect, but Alva school does not seem good, and Clacks is so tiny I'm not sure what their resources are like.
My daughter is a primary school deputy head in Clacks and her 3 kids attend Alva Academy. Years 1, 3 and 5. Mainstream classes.

I asked her view on school life and she's happy with the school in all areas, including special support.
With a good ethos under a good headmaster.

(I also have a family member in special support role in Braes HS)

Ask to visit the schools on your shortlist. Speak to the esn teachers (and support staff). Get a feel for the quality of relationships there.

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom