Ageas didn't pay out when storm Arwen ripped slates off my 80 year old mothers house

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Cut and moved from a thread about Ageas’ good service on a motor policy.

Richard

=============

So car insurance may be ok, but don't use their house insurance.

Ageas didn't pay out when storm Arwen ripped slates off my 80 year old mothers house leaving rain to piss in and damage her ceilings.
They said it wasn't classed as a storm and wouldn't pay out because the wind wasn't over 24mph??? (pretty sure it was)

I tried to fight it on her behalf
I said there is a lorry on its side on the M62 literally hundreds of yards from her house.... you wanna tell that truck driver its not windy too
What about all the uprooted trees!

what was the weather like... erm the met office named it STORM ARWEN....... the clues in the name ffs

total cnuts

Last edited by a moderator:

Ageas didn't pay out when storm Arwen ripped slates off my 80 year old mothers house leaving rain to piss in and damage her ceilings.
They said it wasn't classed as a storm and wouldn't pay out because the wind wasn't over 24mph??? (pretty sure it was)

I said there is a lorry on its side on the M62 literally hundreds of yards from her house.... you wanna tell that truck driver its not windy too

what was the weather like... erm the met office named it STORM ARWEN....... the clues in the name ffs

total cnuts

did you raise a formal complaint and follow up to the ombudsman if you were not happy or just shout at some poor sap on the phone?

Cut and moved from a thread about Ageas’ good service on a motor policy.

Richard

=============

total cnuts
Write a formal complaint letter to them, including all your reasoning as to why you believe you have a right to claim. Include pictures and receipts for any remedial work you have had to conduct. Scour their policy booklet for any definitions that assist. Do they have a definition of a storm? Does the wind have to be over 24 mph at your Mum's house or just recorded as so somewhere in the UK? Where is this written? You know the score. The Met Office will provide you evidence of wind speeds etc.

Make lots of notes in relation to your communication with them and put everything in writing if possible. If you make a phone call, record it (It's legal - don't worry - they're probably recording it as well anyway) and then make notes. Date and time everything.

You then have to wait for their 'Final Response Letter'. If they still refuse to accept your claim, take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman. You initially complain online and then submit documents.

It's very, very frustrating but as you will no doubt realise, I am simply not going to let them get away with it and neither should you. They rely on you being busy or lazy or a combination of the two and other factors. PM me if I can assist you further.

Here is the Met Office’s official statement on ’Storm Arwen’ 26/27 November of 2021.

As Wessie says, without knowing;

a. The policy wording in force at the time, along with the circumstances of the (possibly) two separate claims, one being the damaged or ripped off tiles. The second, water damage to the ceiling(s).

b. What process (if any) the OP took to have the claim(s) discussed by the insurer and, if appropriate, investigated by the Ombudsman.

It is difficult to know what to say.

A local roofer repaired the roof and i repaired and painted the bedroom ceiling.
total cost was around £650
I'm sure she would have had excess to pay to making the difference even less.

i sent emails to the ombudsman and to their complaints department and was fobbed off at the time.
I'm sure, i read that complaints had to be within 6 months, its been nearly 2 years now.

What i will say, Ageas are very clever in that they answer letters and emails of complaint with a phone call.
i don't have a single response in writing, i work in construction and its a tactic used by builders all the time.

i just wont use their services anymore, the previous thread just touched a nerve seeing someone praising them lol

You normally have to raise a formal complaint at the highest level of the organisation before the Ombudsman will entertain an approach.

Not always the case. May well be so with insurance but with BT you can go to the Ombudsman at any point of your choosing. (y)

You normally have to raise a formal complaint at the highest level of the organisation before the Ombudsman will entertain an approach.

You just follow the very simple instructions, set out in the papers which accompanied the policy and as are usually displayed on the website. Screaming “Fuck you!” down the phone, though perhaps satisfying for a moment, is not a method that is listed too often. Neither is it good for the blood pressure.

I'm sure, i read that complaints had to be within 6 months, its been nearly 2 years now.

You must though exhaust the insurer’s own complaints procedures first. You cannot go straight to the Ombudsman. Like snakes and ladders, you cannot ever get straight to the square in the top left hand of the board.

Take up the offer in post #3, he’s champing at the bit.

Back
Top Bottom