Akrapovic Exhaust Baffle Removal Help!

Klunk

This is my first post so I thought I would say hello and ask for some help.

I got my new GS 1200 R in December, it's my first and I have always had sports bikes in the past - the bike prior to this was a 2002 Mille R which was stolen in September. So I fancied something completely different and there you go.

Anyway I got with the Akrapovic end can fitted and I want to remove the baffles - do I need to start drilling rivets to get at them or can they be removed without doing that?

All help much appreciated - :bounce1

Andy

This is my first post so I thought I would say hello and ask for some help.

I got my new GS 1200 R in December, it's my first and I have always had sports bikes in the past - the bike prior to this was a 2002 Mille R which was stolen in September. So I fancied something completely different and there you go.

Anyway I got with the Akrapovic end can fitted and I want to remove the baffles - do I need to start drilling rivets to get at them or can they be removed without doing that?

All help much appreciated - :bounce1

Andy
There should be a small hex bolt on the underside of the outlet, it is tack welded, but it'll break with the turn of a spanner, then remove the baffle.

There should be a small hex bolt on the underside of the outlet, it is tack welded, but it'll break with the turn of a spanner, then remove the baffle.

I've had mine 2 weeks - it's a bolt on mine
It pops and farts much more with the baffle out. I find it goes like stink and is a lot smoother with it left in. :thumb2
But I am going to take it out for the sound test at Cadwell tomorrow just to see what the difference is.

Slight clarification please

Hi I might be being a bit thick here but I want to be sure I have this 100% correct.

So I remove the bolt (It is I have checked) which is on the underside of the outlet, that under the smaller pipe which comes out of the actual end can.

Then I should be able to remove the baffle - there is a pipe within the outlet pipe is that part of it?

Finally once done I should be able to put it back?

Cheers - and guys thanks for all of the help much appreciated.

Andy

Once you have taken the scre out. There is a smaller pipe inside the exhaust can. Pull this out, this is the baffle. it will slide in and screw back no problem.
Hope this is what you meant

Hi I might be being a bit thick here but I want to be sure I have this 100% correct.

So I remove the bolt (It is I have checked) which is on the underside of the outlet, that under the smaller pipe which comes out of the actual end can.

Then I should be able to remove the baffle - there is a pipe within the outlet pipe is that part of it?

Finally once done I should be able to put it back?

Cheers - and guys thanks for all of the help much appreciated.

Andy

Worth mentioning that the baffles are a pretty tight fit and you will most likely need to grip it with a set of mole grips or something similar and give it a gentle "wiggle" to get it out. :aidan

Worth mentioning that the baffles are a pretty tight fit and you will most likely need to grip it with a set of mole grips or something similar and give it a gentle "wiggle" to get it out. :aidan

It's also only about six inches long...so don't be disappointed....:aidan

I did it - it was easy - FANTASTIC!

Hi

I have removed the baffle from the Akro - it was dead simple and to everyone that helped me Thanks much appreciated.

To summarise the proceedure - working at the very back of the bike at the exit hole of the exhaust there is a small bolt on the underside of the narrow tube that comes off the can. Remove that bolt. You will not that the bolt goes through the outer small tube and locates into a smaller inner tube. Once removed and using a pair of pliers the inner tube can be teased out - that is the baffle. It is as above approx 6-8 inches long.

For my money the bike sounds better, it pulls better and it feels quicker - maybe in my head but I am soooo very happy..

:clap

Cheers

Andy

Hi

I have removed the baffle from the Akro - it was dead simple and to everyone that helped me Thanks much appreciated.

To summarise the proceedure - working at the very back of the bike at the exit hole of the exhaust there is a small bolt on the underside of the narrow tube that comes off the can. Remove that bolt. You will not that the bolt goes through the outer small tube and locates into a smaller inner tube. Once removed and using a pair of pliers the inner tube can be teased out - that is the baffle. It is as above approx 6-8 inches long.

For my money the bike sounds better, it pulls better and it feels quicker - maybe in my head but I am soooo very happy..

:clap

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

If you have the Akro can without remus headers you're in for a pleasant surprise when you get that one sorted. It's louder and quicker without the cat

Rob

Andy,

If you have the Akro can without remus headers you're in for a pleasant surprise when you get that one sorted. It's louder and quicker without the cat

Rob
I was hoping that would be the case - have you also doen the air filter? and actually have you heard if anyone has done the air colector mod thingy to help push the air in more efficiently?

Andy

Didn't see the point of starting a new thread so I revived this old one,

So I'm guessing this is the baffle then?

8b0b2ce499637808e56ff7550dd3c9e1.jpg

Sent via TapaTalk

Yes indeed that is it, as fitted to a can that fits 2010 to 2012 bikes. Earlier versions have a 150mm length baffle which is removed in the same way.
Alan R

The OE exhaust has baffles (sound is deadened by making it "reflect" off fixed internal surfaces), but Akrapovic cans (and indeed most aftermarket cans) use absorption wadding instead. Baffles last the life of the silencer, while wadding may need to be replaced periodically. The removable bit at the end of an Akrapovic can is little more than an outlet restrictor (Akrapovic call it a "dB killer" or somesuch).

My Akras have just under 50mm bore outlets. They are LOUD without baffles. I had some made to fit but in a way we're worse because the high notes still got through. I tried ordinary angled DB killers that fit the outlets but they really bunged up the system.
I've now got a straight 30mm OD baffles on spacers so the outlets sit centrally. They can't block the pipe but still give a considerable reduction in noise.

Back
Top Bottom