Another tedious request for "is this a good bike" info......

And these are the first items requiring my attention - the rats nest of front brake lines plumbed in by Stevie Wonder, the falling apart speedo/tacho, the absolutely hideous grips that even Shrek would find to large to grip, a new pair of rear fender struts as there was some kind of back rest (removed by me within seconds of it arriving) that had the fixings smashed thru them, and the rather gaudy coloured (but decent) coil.

IMG_1137.jpgIMG_1138.jpgIMG_1139.jpgIMG_1140.jpgIMG_1141.jpg

And I have literally spent about £250 (and climbing) in about 3 minutes getting bits in for it. Jeez, haven't even had it a day yet :D

Looks like a good starting point.
the front brake lines look terrible, too long lines?
the yellow coil can be fixed with a can of black hammerite (smooth)…

keep the pictures coming as you progress.

I don’t know why HD grips all appear to be the thickness of a horses cock, absolutely crap to ride with.

Avon custom contour grips are a nice alternative, that feel like a normal motorcycle grip.

I do love a sporty, but like Doris, I just don’t fit on one. It was riding a mates sporty that finally made me but a HD and sent me down this road of constant spend and disappointment 😂😂😂

A mini update......

Coil repainted, many and various bits of crispy wiring loom replaced and reterminated, new grips fitted (oem HD type) feels soo soo much better than the horsecock type on there, rear brake switch coaxed back into life and new loom made for it, horn relocated from engine (Don't really dig those cowbells hanging in between the cylinders hiding the engine) to headstock, new plug leads made with ngk plug caps and copper wire type as I found that this bike has been converted to points ignition (winner in my book) and was running the wrong carbon wire, lots of bits removed, cleaned and replaced just general going over it.

New breather style air cleaner fitted - smaller than the enormous chrome dinner gong on it and means you can see the engine. No doubt when I start using this crude machine in anger I will be chasing jetting shadows which I will never fully resolve......

Had to do quite a bit of PDR on the rear fender as the rear rack had crushed it where the rack contacted/rested on it. Rear rack now removed which I prefer....its not perfect but y'know "you cant buy patina like that"

New front pads fitted as they were very badly oil contaminated but during this I found that one of the clever previous 10 :oops: owners had topped up/filled the system with DOT 4 which is not compatible with DOT 5 and therefore the front system is semi blocked with congealed brake fluid meaning I have to rebuild the entire system. I did try to bleed it out but the master cylinder basically crapped out under the stress and said NO!.....not today mate, so caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits incoming, having a bit of trouble getting an off the shelf front brake line kit but working on that....

Service kit incoming (oils plugs points condenser) as are a 2nd hand set of rear fender struts sourced from ebay for £30 which need some restoration but not bodge damaged like mine.

Also incoming is a new rear no. plate, a lay down plate holder, and a lay down rear light lens (because y'know Harley Davidson) and a vacuum brake bleeder which I just know I will need when I get to bolting the front brake parts back on.

Also for added fun having a tussle with the post office about getting the thing registered as a historical vehicle for VED exemption - our local Doris behind the counter has absolutely no idea what I am talking about and thinks I am plain lying about it being MOT exempt - and I even took in a screenshot of the GOV website on the subject which as clear as day says take the V5 to the post office and they will send it to DVLA etc. Brilliant, thanks Post Office!

Anyway a couple of quick snaps.

IMG_1153.jpgIMG_1155.jpgIMG_1158.jpgIMG_1159.jpg

This above how it looked for about ten minutes after I did most of the work. Its already back in pieces as the front calipers/master cylinder hoses etc are already back off of it and now waiting on parts...

Last edited:
Little bit more work done (not much to show as all hidden really) - fully rebuilt front calipers with all seals nipples new pistons pads and shims, a few decals sprinkled around, 2nd hand rear fender struts restored and fitted, front master cylinder rebuilt. "Lay back" number plate and rear light fitted. Its starting to look a more like "my" bike now - aaaand went out of my first shakedown run this afternoon, and predictably it broke. Noting major, the rear brake light switch failed and stuck the brake light on, on so thats on order.....

Next up probable rear brake system rebuild when I try and fit the pressure switch for the rear brake light :rolleyes:, black battery cover and lid, new number plate - and then a full service and clutch cable.
IMG_1162.jpgIMG_1163.jpgIMG_1164.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1166.jpgIMG_1167.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quick and dirty video showing the bike running as it now is - fitted a new motogadget speedo (bit of a mission) which has nicely cleaned up the front end a bit as the snake thick speedo cable is now deleted, as is the enormous frog eye plastic speedo/rev counter assembly, new pair of rear hagons which means the rear end actually has some form of rudimentary damping, still need to sort out the front brake line and fit the 2 new bridgestones that I have been tripping over constantly (summer job for that I think as cant be arsed wrestling with cold hard tyres in my vast workshop lol), but getting there slowly

Back
Top Bottom