Any tips for re attaching the centre stand spring (r1150gs) after overhaul?

So .... not one I can just undo then.. and not one that one wishes to see oil leaking out from underneath.....

hmmmm.... winter strip down ... is it possible to remove the cylinder heads and cylinders with the cranks case still in the bike?

So .... not one I can just undo then.. and not one that one wishes to see oil leaking out from underneath.....

hmmmm.... winter strip down ... is it possible to remove the cylinder heads and cylinders with the cranks case still in the bike?
Before you think about tearing it down do as Gorila suggests and try tightening it up a bit. If this doesn't solve it you could undo it and see what condition the crush washer is in under the bolt head.

I think I'm right in saying you can remove the tensioner easily enough and there's no issues or special precautions required.

Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable people on here could say if I'm correct in above statement.

. Jesus Christ. it doesn’t require a strip down, just tighten it up usually stops any leaks. You might be unlucky and need to replace the washer.

. Jesus Christ. it doesn’t require a strip down, just tighten it up usually stops any leaks. You might be unlucky and need to replace the washer.
Agree with Steptoe, mine was leaking in the same place. It’s hard to get a spanner on it but nipping it up sorted it

My tensioner started leaking on a trip so I nipped it up and it was fine, and I replaced the washer when I got home. Unfortunately the leak started again, probably because I didn't do it up tight enough. A Motion Pro gadget to allow me to use a torque wrench on an ordinary spanner did the trick - it's been fine since.

My tensioner started leaking on a trip so I nipped it up and it was fine, and I replaced the washer when I got home. Unfortunately the leak started again, probably because I didn't do it up tight enough. A Motion Pro gadget to allow me to use a torque wrench on an ordinary spanner did the trick - it's been fine since.
Chris Harris created this YouTube video on replacing the cam chain tensioner which may help understand the process and he modified some old spanners to take the old and new ones out a bit easier. Got some fruity language so watch where you listen to it!

"if you only got one finger you're fucked"

Speak for yourself love.. thats cos you dunno what I can do with just one finger! :eek:

Really helpful peeps .. and gave me a laugh too.

typically bad tempered and cynical mechanic. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:)
Sarah

Update!

success this morning with a steptoes method .. well a variation of.

I placed the end of the spring on the nub that is on the centre stand and then put a pry bar through the middle slot of the connecting plate at the other end.

I then placed the end of the pry bar in the circular hole at the top of the centre stand (just behind pivot) and this gave me the ideal combination pivot point, leverage and length -- it took a couple of goes but she's now back to gather.
That's how I did it on my Rockster recently, IIRC I had the bike actually on the centre-stand at the time, which meant the spring, lever, pivot point, and spring-lug were all aligned which made it a bit easier. If the bike is off the stand, then the pivot point (the hole the lever is held in place by) is out of alignment with the spring lugs.

Chris Harris created this YouTube video on replacing the cam chain tensioner which may help understand the process and he modified some old spanners to take the old and new ones out a bit easier. Got some fruity language so watch where you listen to it!

Makes a bit of a meal of it doesn't he. ;)

I've done that job a couple of times now, never needed to take the throttle body off. With a smaller ratchet set that has a UJ, you can get a socket onto the CCT: it's awkward, but perfectly possible.

Back
Top Bottom