Autocom & Quest 1 issue

vireo

Reaction score
Looking for some help here...
I recently acquired a Quest 1 and got around to powering it from the bike this evening. Its in a RAM cradle, with a QPAC adaptor, and the power comes from the front power socket on the 1150GSA via an inline fuse. Ignition is on (but engine not running). The Autocom is a Pro 7 Sport, battery powered and connected via 3.5mm jack plus (Aux 2 port) to the GPS set up. The blanking plug is in-situ in the Speech Level Hi/Lo port (also tried it with this out).

I have used this Autocom configuration extensively with my Garmin Nuvi, also bike powered - all without any difficulty, full audio instructions.:thumb
AND
In a test, I can get audio instructions from the Quest 1/QPAC directly to a set of headphones plugged into it (dont worry, not while moving :augie) so the QPAC is certainly able to output the audio.:thumb

but I cant get the Quest 1 to deliver any audio through the Autocom - nothing, nada.:mad:

Is there some impedance matching issue, or some sort of other incompatability with the Quest/Autocom set-up? I've scanned the pages on here and done the obvious searches, but nothing has shown up.

Anyone got any suggestions?:thedummy

Looking for some help here...
I recently acquired a Quest 1 and got around to powering it from the bike this evening. Its in a RAM cradle, with a QPAC adaptor, and the power comes from the front power socket on the 1150GSA via an inline fuse. Ignition is on (but engine not running). The Autocom is a Pro 7 Sport, battery powered and connected via 3.5mm jack plus (Aux 2 port) to the GPS set up. The blanking plug is in-situ in the Speech Level Hi/Lo port (also tried it with this out).

I have used this Autocom configuration extensively with my Garmin Nuvi, also bike powered - all without any difficulty, full audio instructions.:thumb
AND
In a test, I can get audio instructions from the Quest 1/QPAC directly to a set of headphones plugged into it (dont worry, not while moving :augie) so the QPAC is certainly able to output the audio.:thumb

but I cant get the Quest 1 to deliver any audio through the Autocom - nothing, nada.:mad:

Is there some impedance matching issue, or some sort of other incompatability with the Quest/Autocom set-up? I've scanned the pages on here and done the obvious searches, but nothing has shown up.

Anyone got any suggestions?:thedummy
Hi ,

If you can't get it to work, I will give a full money back guarantee....

apart from that can't help. Don't like voice prompts. It was Garfields before.... Any comments?

Hi ,

If you can't get it to work, I will give a full money back guarantee....

apart from that can't help. Don't like voice prompts. It was Garfields before.... Any comments?

Richie

Thanks! No worries though.....I suspect there's some explanation.

V

Sorted

OK, solved it. I rang Autocom, and although I got confused, I picked up enough to dig a bit deeper.....
The cable I was using (successfully for the Garmin Nuvi I own) between the Autocom and the GPS is a 3.5mm 'stereo' type jack-plug both ends. However, the Quest apparent requires this to be wired as a cross-over cable, ie the ring (middle) contact on the Quest end wired to the tip (end) contact on the Autocom end, and not in a straight-through stereo type manner. The Nuvi must not/ doesn't care about this - is it a stereo device?. This entire issue was clouded by the fact that the cable I was using was faulty, with a break in the left channel/tip connection.....

Anyway, I made up a makeshift version of the cable and its now working fine, but I'll need to buy the correct cable from Autocom!
V

Back
Top Bottom