Autocom Super Pro Automatic ... Auxiliary 2 or 3 for Zumo?

Bobbin-Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I added mobile phone comms to my Super Pro Automatic, the recommendation was to connect my Zumo 550 to Aux 3 (Rider's Stereo Phone) via Autocom Part 4066, all works fine and I have the correct volume levels for speech in and out when using the phone. Allowing the Zumo to control the phone is a benefit and the loss of voice directions during a call has not been an issue because using the phone on the bike is actually a rarity (<1%) but very convenient when needed!

However, having done an antenna mod to my Kenwood radio I'm now reconfiguring my bike-to-bike setup and wondering whether Aux 2 for the Zumo connection would be better? When in Aux 3, any audio from the Zumo (inc. music) will disable the bike-to-bike vox ability, a feature I've found very good doing long distances when touring with a previous Active-PLUS, Aux 3 does this to separate telephone conversations from bike-to-bike which makes sense. But because I'm running everything through the Zumo (mob/nav/music) I assume any audio is going to mess up my bike-to-bike? By contrast if I use Aux 2 any Zumo audio will have no effect on the bike-to-bike which suits me better.

I believe there's an issue with volume being cut when speaking when using Aux 2 due to the voice activation but can this be overcome? Is there a dipswitch adjustment that can compensate for this?

I don't want to add any bluetooth to the Autocom, I initially had a BT-02 for the phone but found it unreliable. Hard wired the system is 100% reliable as is the BT mobile phone connection to the Zumo.

My Zumo GPS is plugged into Aux 2.

The speech cut-off problem with Aux 2 that you mentioned later in your post referred to the Super-pro Avi which was designed just before the era of stereo audio GPS. The Automatic does not have this problem.

Hope this helps,

John

Thanks John. I ran it today in Aux 2 and all appeared fine with respect to rider/pillion conversation, bike to bike and nav directions, although the audio level from the Zumo did appear lower than when using Aux 3 ... I'd need to swap it back though to be sure. I didn't have the opportunity to use the phone so not sure whether there's any detrimental effect although you're suggesting there shouldn't be anyway. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom