Bad engine noise!

jacksdad63

Reaction score
Tried adding a video from my laptop but no joy: Just a description for now...how do I add a vid please?
Only had the bike 3 days and its started making a really bad noise. This is stone cold, it does get less once the engine is warm. No warning lights or engine codes, its starting and running perfectly. I checked the battery voltage, its 14.4V at idle, climbing to 15 5 at mid revs. This seems too high to me!
Is the alternator the culprit? I've had cars making similar racket when the alty front bearing is worn...please don't say it serious! :oops:

Tried adding a video from my laptop but no joy: Just a description for now...how do I add a vid please?
Only had the bike 3 days and its started making a really bad noise. This is stone cold, it does get less once the engine is warm. No warning lights or engine codes, its starting and running perfectly. I checked the battery voltage, its 14.4V at idle, climbing to 15 5 at mid revs. This seems too high to me!
Is the alternator the culprit? I've had cars making similar racket when the alty front bearing is worn...please don't say it serious! :oops:
Drop the alternator belt off if it stops then it is the culprit

Create a You Tube account (or whatever media you prefer) and load it in there and share the link to here

sounds out of balance for a start

drop the alt belt off

no sound then it's the alternator
Thanks, thats my next move. The bikes done 75k miles and has been serviced and maintained very well, I got a real bargain as its got just about every Touratech and Heed accessory made, about £5k worth! :eek:

As to the voltage 15.5 volts sounds a bit high.
I have a cheap voltmeter in the dash which usually reads 14.3 volts .
Looking at old GS911 data from the ecu it shows 14.58 to 14.68 volts in all conditions.

That dosent sound like a sudden onset noise ,

it's not rhythmic , but random. almost like something being bounced around

After you drop the alternator belt, if the noise still persists, I'd drop the oil and see what it looks like

did it come with any warranty ?

doesn't sound anything like a GS

is it one - if so are you in gear on the centre std - that would start to make some sense - if you are, don't its not good for them

oil level and a compression test.....

Bought as a trade deal: I restore old japanese bikes, got a very good deal on it.
Not in gear on the centre stand and not ran for long, I've had a few boxers and K's before, but this noise is a new one. Oil is fine, was changed 1600 miles ago according to the service history, noise is the same on the centre stand or side stand. I think I'll remove the alternator belt first, I'm hoping its the problem, especially as its overcharging, not that it would make a worn bearing noise...I'm a bit lost tbh!
Anyone think its cam chain wear? That was my initial thought, but I'm no expert on these.
It does get quieter once its warmed up, and its not misfiring and idles perfectly.
I'll balance the throttle bodies as well, once I've got rid of the rattle, thanks for the replies (y)

Bought as a trade deal: I restore old japanese bikes, got a very good deal on it.
Not in gear on the centre stand and not ran for long, I've had a few boxers and K's before, but this noise is a new one. Oil is fine, was changed 1600 miles ago according to the service history, noise is the same on the centre stand or side stand. I think I'll remove the alternator belt first, I'm hoping its the problem, especially as its overcharging, not that it would make a worn bearing noise...I'm a bit lost tbh!
Anyone think its cam chain wear? That was my initial thought, but I'm no expert on these.
It does get quieter once its warmed up, and its not misfiring and idles perfectly.
I'll balance the throttle bodies as well, once I've got rid of the rattle, thanks for the replies (y)
I was thinking a failed / blocked cam chain tensioner , or prehaps a broken guide,

but there are people far more knowledgeable on here than me , who may be able to define better.

When mine was clattering, it was due in part to using the wrong grade of oil (10/40) , cheap filter, and needing a dam good service

If all else fails, speak to Mikeyboy or Steptoe both know the bikes inside out

No expert but I am thinking the same as Santa as it sounds like cam chain issues. I had a DRZ 400 which sounded like the small end bearing had failed and made hell of a noise. New cam chain and it ran perfectly plus sounded spot on. Has the tensioner failed?

The oil may have been changed but do you know what grade of oil was used etc etc. It's winter so it won't be running hot which does make them rattle more, as Santa said a 10/40 oil will let the rattles sound worse. I'd change it for a 15/50 or even a 20/50 to see if the thicker oil makes a difference. Though those noises sound wrong.

Whilst people have great intentions, PLEASE take it step by step and diagnose it!

Maybe I am hearing the wrong sound that you want identified, But I hear a whirring that increases with RPM, Is that the sound that concerns you ??

I also hear a stumbling engine that may be out of balance, a bad stepper motor (not adjusting and controlling its idle circuit!) as it seems to balance out once you rev it

1708247241014.png

Whilst people have great intentions, PLEASE take it step by step and diagnose it!

Maybe I am hearing the wrong sound you want identified But I hear a whirring that increases with RPM

Is that the sound that concerns you ?

View attachment 306331
Thats a very valid point :thumb.

i'm hearing both a whirring, & an intermittent noise akin to something being thrown around internally.

As you say start with the simple stuff before assuming / diagnosing the worst

To diagnose the thrashing chain thing (Which I don't think is the problem as it would thrash madly once the throttle is released and it has free play again

I would pop the rocker covers off, Pull the side sparkplugs,. Remove the front plastic engine cover and use the big crank nut to rotate the engine (While you are there have a scally with the torch up in round by the alternator for a belt that has a strip breaking off or the alternator has a crack or something)

You can shine a torch in and see if there is a baggy timing chain And just watch the camchain in each side as you rotate If there is a broken slide it will jump just a little as it has slack in a neutral position and the cams roll over

What I think it is? is the idle air circuit on one side is closed and not responding and that side is getting to much fuel and clunking out of balance at Idle

A GS911 will tell you "steps" requested for the idle control stepper motor And I guess the only way to know is that it will be pinged at maximum value as the stepper is not responding but the GS911 is not clever enough to know that it is not responding

Basically the same thing happens when the fuel controller fails, the Engine ECU and the GS911 know there is a signal sent but cant tell you the fuel pump is not responding

Last edited:
I can hear two noises in the vid - normal engine sounds (which actually sounds really sweet!) and in the background a rumbly, grumbly intermittant rattle/knock.
What is a bit strange though is that when the engine speed is increased the frequency of the rumbly/gumbly sound seems to keep constant or at least is not directly proportional to the engine speed.

I can hear the rumbly grumbly noise, sounds like the shaft. Not as in broken, just slaps a bit with no load. I know it's in neutral but some turning force gets through from drag on the clutch. Put the rear brake on and see if that stops that bit. As to the other stuff I'd try what Dr Farkoff suggests.

Has the throttle bodies got the caps on that are removed to do the balancing, I left them off once and the engine sounded awful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caps are in place on the throttle bodies, I've sprayed Easy start all round the inlets, no air leaks.
I've ordered 5l of 20w50 oil, going to change it anyway, always do when I get another vehicle, the service history says it had an oil, filter and spark plug change just over 2000 miles ago, using 20w50, no mention of make of oil but it was done at a BMW dealer, same as all the services.
Its been a loved bike for sure, every BMW annual inspection up to that 2000 mile ago service, and literally every accessory added, just found handle bar raisers and a rear hugger on top of the £5k worth of stuff I mentioned!
I'll fix it no matter what, got the skills luckily so not overly concerened: would be nice if my "trade bargain" remains so :oops:

Back
Top Bottom