Bloody Exhaust Flapper Valve

^^^can they tell if a valve eliminator module has ever been fitted even if the exhaust valve itself is working without any problems?
I can’t say definitely what the dealers can see with their diagnostic device, but when I plug my gs911 into my bikes and run a fault check, often one might see a fault record stating fault no longer present ( most commonly with the SOS function that hasn't connected with a signal).
In my experience of trading bikes in, the deal is made with the sales people long before the techs get their hands on the bike after the subsequent hand over. Caveat emptor applies to dealers too!
Alan R

I can’t say definitely what the dealers can see with their diagnostic device, but when I plug my gs911 into my bikes and run a fault check, often one might see a fault record stating fault no longer present ( most commonly with the SOS function that hasn't connected with a signal).
In my experience of trading bikes in, the deal is made with the sales people long before the techs get their hands on the bike after the subsequent hand over. Caveat emptor applies to dealers too!
Alan R
When I traded my 2014 RT for my 2019 RT, the dealer took my bike away to look it over first before they would agree a trade in price, which included plugging it into the mothership. Maybe things have changed since then. That was CW who are no longer trading

Just make sure from new, The bike is run up to operating temperatures to burn off any moisture, You'll be fine (y)

The strange thing for me, Is on previous bikes, And I'm sure this current one, On switching the ignition on, The valve "sounded" like it opened and closed. I had my end can off. And turned the ignition on, The valve stayed open, didn't open and close. Immediately I concluded it had seized. There were no warning lights. So I plugged the GS-911 in and tested the valve operation. It opened and closed and went through the cycles. The GS-911 then turned green as it ended the test. No issues. So, It ...... well, works, ?

The strange thing for me, Is on previous bikes, And I'm sure this current one, On switching the ignition on, The valve "sounded" like it opened and closed. I had my end can off. And turned the ignition on, The valve stayed open, didn't open and close. Immediately I concluded it had seized. There were no warning lights. So I plugged the GS-911 in and tested the valve operation. It opened and closed and went through the cycles. The GS-911 then turned green as it ended the test. No issues. So, It ...... well, works, ?
Yeah that is what I was expecting, the video I watched was a 1200 doing exactly that but my 1250 only moves when the bike is started. Nothing when I just turn the ignition on.

Yeah that is what I was expecting, the video I watched was a 1200 doing exactly that but my 1250 only moves when the bike is started. Nothing when I just turn the ignition on.
Somewhere along the line, a software update has changed this .

I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but my 1250 compared to 1200 doesn’t cycle the valve before engine start up. Sneaky really as you’ll never hear the squeak of impending doom. Instead it quickly shuts the valve as the engine starts.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but my 1250 compared to 1200 doesn’t cycle the valve before engine start up. Sneaky really as you’ll never hear the squeak of impending doom. Instead it quickly shuts the valve as the engine starts.
I reckon that's why they changed it. One less, unheard opening and closing of the valve. Sneaky. The GS-911 was handy and reassuring for me when I noticed this.

^^^can they tell if a valve eliminator module has ever been fitted even if the exhaust valve itself is working without any problems?
Nope - in fact it was my dealer who suggested fitting it (as the flapper valve apparently is not covered after 2 years), and since then its the dealer who has done the MOT's I mentioned no problem.

I still occasionally lube the valve when I have my GS down for a full clean as, if and when I sell it, I'll reconnect the valve to see if it still works before I trade it. If I sell privately, I'll leave it on if the new owner wanted it. When I last checked it still worked (so why fit the eliminator you may ask - quite simply I do a fair amount of touring and don't want the hassle of the flapper valve maybe having a tantrum like it has a couple of times in the past)

My 1250 used to cycle it when I first bought it (2019), but I think sometime in 2021 with one of the software upgrades they did when it was serviced, it changed it not to cycle on "ignition on". At least that's what happened on mine

My 1250 used to cycle it when I first bought it (2019), but I think sometime in 2021 with one of the software upgrades they did when it was serviced, it changed it not to cycle on "ignition on". At least that's what happened on mine
Mine is also a 2019 and yes had the software recalls done so would explain why its changed.

Similarly, my 2014 used to cycle the flap, but since it had a new ECU last year , it no longer does . (Furthermore the engine fuels better and my heated grips are hotter )

When the valve stuck on my 2011 1200 I took it off to have a looksee. There isn’t really a bearing on the pulley side but there is on the other side. With the use of a blow torch, hammer and punch, I managed to get the penny sized plate out. I then used a 2 mm drill to drill the ‘stuff’ out. No idea what it is…. Guessing some heat resistant stuff. Bit of heat again, refitted the penny sized thing, bent the end over to hold it in.

Did that in 2013 and had no trouble with it since. I would guess that some exhaust fumes come out of that end, but had no trouble at mot time.

Well went for a blast yesterday and bloody fault came back again

Booked in with Alton as still under warranty for them to sort.

Back
Top Bottom