BMW 1150 GS Adv - France / Belgium / Luxemburg

Nando654321

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Over the long weekend just gone, 7 of us went from UK to France via Eurotunnel (all very easy going to be fair) and once over the other side we did Belgium and the roads around Luxenburg.

By the time I got back home, we had done around 1,600kms… with a majority of it on gorgeous windy roads.

The 1150 as always behaved faultlessly and none of us on the trip broke down thankfully. We met up with a friend in Luxenburg and he took us around the surrounding area. Beautiful roads and wonderful scenery, mixed with great food and company.

However, there is no denying it, this trip made me realise that I would like a bit more oomph… I ride in a group that keeps a nice pace and I know the standard answer is “the 1150 can keep up” but in my group 90% of us are lucky to be around the same skill level of riding, so invariably when you have water cooled 1200GS, Triumph Tigers, KTMs etc the old whale does struggle, there’s no getting around it. There’s also the fact that I like to keep a nice pace.

Please note I am not looking to be front rider etc, but the 1150 and I have to push hard to stay at pace and it would be just nice not to be at near the limit in those trips and ride outs.

So, as hard as it is for me to say it, I am likely to start looking for its replacement, likely bikes I am thinking at a sensible low ish budget:

- Yamaha XT 1200 Super Tenere
- BMW 1200 GSA (2011-2012 only)
- Honda CRF1000 Africa Twin
- KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Budget is £7k max and the bike must be able to do deep winter commuting at over 100 miles in a day. Hence the KTM is a worry!

Open to suggestions, advice etc

Opinions welcome

Thanks

Pics

Over the long weekend just gone, 7 of us went from UK to France via Eurotunnel (all very easy going to be fair) and once over the other side we did Belgium and the roads around Luxenburg.

By the time I got back home, we had done around 1,600kms… with a majority of it on gorgeous windy roads.

The 1150 as always behaved faultlessly and none of us on the trip broke down thankfully. We met up with a friend in Luxenburg and he took us around the surrounding area. Beautiful roads and wonderful scenery, mixed with great food and company.

However, there is no denying it, this trip made me realise that I would like a bit more oomph… I ride in a group that keeps a nice pace and I know the standard answer is “the 1150 can keep up” but in my group 90% of us are lucky to be around the same skill level of riding, so invariably when you have water cooled 1200GS, Triumph Tigers, KTMs etc the old whale does struggle, there’s no getting around it. There’s also the fact that I like to keep a nice pace.

Please note I am not looking to be front rider etc, but the 1150 and I have to push hard to stay at pace and it would be just nice not to be at near the limit in those trips and ride outs.

So, as hard as it is for me to say it, I am likely to start looking for its replacement, likely bikes I am thinking at a sensible low ish budget:

- Yamaha XT 1200 Super Tenere
- BMW 1200 GSA (2011-2012 only)
- Honda CRF1000 Africa Twin
- KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Budget is £7k max and the bike must be able to do deep winter commuting at over 100 miles in a day. Hence the KTM is a worry!

Open to suggestions, advice etc

Opinions welcome

Thanks

Pics from the trip

Attachments

• C5032DAE-3576-4700-81EA-A6FD720957F6.jpg
    C5032DAE-3576-4700-81EA-A6FD720957F6.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 88E46E53-4DFF-4C8B-BC4B-47998AC588FC.jpg
    88E46E53-4DFF-4C8B-BC4B-47998AC588FC.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 2FD9FC07-5B77-42D4-B4C8-73FA52977579.jpeg
    2FD9FC07-5B77-42D4-B4C8-73FA52977579.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 1E0D0B87-7739-4636-A29D-5C9C9D00335F.jpg
    1E0D0B87-7739-4636-A29D-5C9C9D00335F.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 169
Get some proper road biased tyres on YOUR 1150, put some Ohlins on, front & back, get rid of that stupid exhaust can and you'll be able to keep up with all the others (why have you got 2 panniers/topbox and a tankbag on seat, for a few days away and only you - shed some luggage weight too!!!)

Been riding with others over the last 2 days and the lead rider was on a well set up 1150 GSA

Once the roads opened up, in the North Pennines, we never saw him again until the next junction 3-4 miles ahead and the others were on a Ducati MS1200/Tiger 800 and F800GS (me on a Tenere) and we all had more power and/or less weight than his 1150 GSA

It's all in your mind, anyone can be fast on a straight..............but A to B on twisty roads, there ain't much in it

Blimey

Bloke wants feedback on a new shiny bike. Gets criticism for his luggage, tyres and riding

Edit. And exhaust :D

Only to be expected from JohnnyNegNChips…….

why have you got 2 panniers/topbox and a tankbag on seat, for a few days away and only you - shed some luggage weight too!!!)

Because it’s his bike and he can carry what the fuck he wants .
How do you know he doesn’t need to carry extra stuff like medication/equipment etc ?

add a R1200RS to your list. Unless you really need an adventure bike it is a much better bike for commuting and road touring.

I have in the past owned a R1150GS, XTZ1200 and Triumph Explorer and used all for commuting into Gloucester. The RS with it's narrower profile for filtering and lower centre of gravity wins hands down for road riding. RS bars go under van mirrors.

I have a friend that commutes from Kent into Canary Wharf. He was riding a KTM and then a Tiger 800. He now has a R1200RS and agrees it is a keeper.

PS I am also curious as to what the fúck you were carrying in all of those boxes & seat bag for a weekend away!

Owned several 1150’s and three of your four shortlist (missed out on the KTM)

Was most confident on the 2011 R1200GS. Best bike for me overall was the Africa Twin. At your budget an early AT is doable. TC R1200GS will cost you the same at similar mileage. I’d buy either was in the best nick

PS I am also curious as to what the fúck you were carrying in all of those boxes & seat bag for a weekend away!

I always pack far too much too. Been trying to stop without success

I always pack far too much too. Been trying to stop without success

I start with the premise that there are shops in Europe. Once you can rationalise this, you are able to cull the unnecessary crap.

Dual purpose clothes help such as binning the liners for jackets and take a fleece to use in the evening or under your riding jacket. "Active sports" clothing that can be rinsed out and dry overnight.

Green flag membership not a mobile workshop.

Why don’t you ask your mates to slow down a bit and actually enjoy the scenery you’re blattering past at a rate of knots?
I had the same with 5 of my friends always trying to go full throttle, overtaking everything possible and having near misses every time they went out! :blast There’s absolutely no enjoyment in that sort of riding for me so I completely stopped going out with them. Best thing I ever did. :thumb2 I only ever go out on my own now. I can go at my own pace, stop for a coffee / piss when I want, take loads of photos, wild camp ( they’d only ever go to hotels which also I don’t like ) etc……..
That may be seen as being “ negative “ by some but it’s only been a positive for me. I don’t give a shit what other people think anyway.:thumb2 It’s so much more relaxed, enjoyable and I’m not constantly worried about getting knobbled by a scamera van.
The 1150 ( although it can shift when needed ) will never be a sports bike so why try to make it one? :nenau
Like JB says, put road tyres on it instead of semi knobblies ( I have Conti Road Attacks on mine ) and Ohlins and it made a huge difference to its handling.
Just my look at things anyway. Some dickheads on here ridicule that thought process but they’re too obnoxious / condescending to see anyone else has a different view to theirs. :comfort. Each to their own innit. :thumb2

Only to be expected from JohnnyNegNChips…….

Because it’s his bike and he can carry what the fuck he wants .
How do you know he doesn’t need to carry extra stuff like medication/equipment etc ?

Thanks Dad….Wise as ever
My Egg & Chips yesterday were fantastic
How’s the silly screen extension on yer bike?

Why don’t you ask your mates to slow down a bit and actually enjoy the scenery you’re blattering past at a rate of knots?
I had the same with 5 of my friends always trying to go full throttle, overtaking everything possible and having near misses every time they went out! :blast There’s absolutely no enjoyment in that sort of riding for me so I completely stopped going out with them. Best thing I ever did. :thumb2 I only ever go out on my own now. I can go at my own pace, stop for a coffee / piss when I want, take loads of photos, wild camp ( they’d only ever go to hotels which also I don’t like ) etc……..
That may be seen as being “ negative “ by some but it’s only been a positive for me. I don’t give a shit what other people think anyway.:thumb2 It’s so much more relaxed, enjoyable and I’m not constantly worried about getting knobbled by a scamera van.
The 1150 ( although it can shift when needed ) will never be a sports bike so why try to make it one? :nenau
Like JB says, put road tyres on it instead of semi knobblies ( I have Conti Road Attacks on mine ) and Ohlins and it made a huge difference to its handling.
Just my look at things anyway. Some dickheads on here ridicule that thought process but they’re too obnoxious / condescending to see anyone else has a different view to theirs. :comfort. Each to their own innit. :thumb2

Very well said and all good points
Just had the most fantastic 2 days away with some good mates who all ride the same way & speeds, on the smallest of roads & passes

Thanks Dad….Wise as ever
My Egg & Chips yesterday were fantastic
How’s the silly screen extension on yer bike?

I don’t have a TenaLady. You getting confused again ?

d88b9887e99a396c64a23dc4bc86c952.jpg

Very well said and all good points
Just had the most fantastic 2 days away with some good mates who all ride the same way & speeds, on the smallest of roads & passes

Helps to all ride the same way, otherwise you’d be miles apart within minutes.

Get some proper road biased tyres on YOUR 1150, put some Ohlins on, front & back, get rid of that stupid exhaust can and you'll be able to keep up with all the others (why have you got 2 panniers/topbox and a tankbag on seat, for a few days away and only you - shed some luggage weight too!!!)

Been riding with others over the last 2 days and the lead rider was on a well set up 1150 GSA

Once the roads opened up, in the North Pennines, we never saw him again until the next junction 3-4 miles ahead and the others were on a Ducati MS1200/Tiger 800 and F800GS (me on a Tenere) and we all had more power and/or less weight than his 1150 GSA

It's all in your mind, anyone can be fast on a straight..............but A to B on twisty roads, there ain't much in it

I'm with Johnny.

All

Since JBs comments, I have also noted a few people have a go at him.

Thank you but just to be clear - this is a Forum / not real life and I welcome honest opinions. No hurt feelings on my side, I would rather brutally honest healthy discussions than namby pamby meaningless advice.

Unfortunately I haven’t got time to reply now but will do so later.

As to the luggage… haha all will be explained later when I have proper time to reply!

But just to reiterate again, let’s not be shy, just say what you think it’s absolutely fine with me guys.

Chat later

All

Thank you but just to be clear - this is a Forum / not real life and I welcome honest opinions. No hurt feelings on my side, I would rather brutally honest healthy discussions than namby pamby meaningless advice.

As to the luggage… haha all will be explained later when I have proper time to reply!

But just to reiterate again, let’s not be shy, just say what you think it’s absolutely fine with me guys.

Chat later

Thank you

In fairness I agree with most of what JB says and would add that some additional training would be worthwhile (regardless of ability).

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

All

Chat later

I don’t think I’d change my bike or riding style to keep up with mates.
Would prefer to change mates if they all blat around at warp factor 9.

It’s a start
Cheaper to mod the bike you have
2gses was flying on his yesterday

Certainly, if I had longer legs a sorted 1150 like yours would be on my list too, but I’m a shorty, last time I chased Chris my number plate flew off :D

And I wasn’t having a pop at JB…had the pleasure of meeting him and he’s a fine chap. JB, if I was being obnoxious/dickhead my apologies. It wasn’t intended

Back
Top Bottom