BMW Motorrad Service Packages - Appears Good Value?

the woodster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Posted here as it relates to the 1250 boxer twins:

I get the normal email blurb from Motorrad and because of a dose of Covid this week, I decided to read them. These packages appear to be good value, especially if you time your purchase correctly. I have gone for the 3 year/18K package as I may change the bike after that period (The service package stays with the bike but can be transferred to a new owner).

The price for the 'Heinkel' was £750. Mine has just had the 6K minor service so for my money, I will get two major and one minor service (Confirmed by the service departent of my dealer of choice). In my experience of three 1200/1250s LCs, minor services are about £250 and major ones are about £450. This comes to £1150, so a saving of circa £400 is possible.

What's not to like? Posted for the attention of those who, like myself, may not of been aware of these packages.

I await a fellow 'Tosser' highlighting the massive flaw in these plans, which has escaped me. :):)

With wage increases and inevitable rises, you’ve probably done the right thing :thumb

Appears to be good value.
Although I'm pretty sure they'll organize themselves so as not to be doing this at a loss.

Appears to be good value.
Although I'm pretty sure they'll organize themselves so as not to be doing this at a loss.

IMHO most people take them out when puchasing the bike - Which you don't have to as they accept bikes up to 10 years old - So a 3 year plan will include the 600 mile, 6K and a 12K. I am also certain that the bean counters have done their research on how many minor - major - minor as opposed to major - minor - major applicants have or are likely to apply.

We have a lad local to us (Mick Kendrick in Sunderland) who charges £170 for a minor and £270 for a major service, obviously he’s considerably cheaper than a Motorrad dealer, and they’re are a fair squad of us who are happy with his servicing, he knows his stuff.

We have a lad local to us (Mick Kendrick in Sunderland) who charges £170 for a minor and £270 for a major service, obviously he’s considerably cheaper than a Motorrad dealer, and they’re are a fair squad of us who are happy with his servicing, he knows his stuff.

I do take your well made point. There is a great guy not for from me who used to do my CBRs back in the day and I have used occasionally as a GS owner for things that needed looking at immediately and in particular, tyres. He is an 'official' independent BMW technician and has all the diagnostics etc. I had a major service done with him during Covid and was very happy with the job he did. He was a bit cheaper but not much but so much more convenient. If I decided that my latest one was the keeper until I stopped riding, I'd use him without hesitation. There is something keeping me attached to the 'Mothership' - It might be that I really like the new dealer I transferred to a couple of years ago from my local one.

Minor service charge with an independent using genuine parts and fluids £150-£175

Major service £250-£275

Time taken by main dealer for a minor service. 30-40 mins. Usually using rattle guns and generally untrained fitters who don't give a shit. Employed by franshised dealers who don't give a shit about you or your bike.

A good independent will take twice as long, take care of your threads and fasteners, grease and lubricate things dealers don't and probably have a chat and a laugh with you.

No, your warrenty is unaffected (Read your BMW manual)

You're not really saving anything. You're just getting slightly less ripped-off for your devoted loyalty to the firm.

I was an BMW dealer tech for ten years. Now an independent and part time main dealer tech for Jap bikes.

I'm not gunning for work. I don't need anymore. I just wish more people would support local businesses and stop over-rewarding these big faceless companies who really don't deserve your business.

There are a few main dealers who act like independents. But they're very rare.

Has anyone put a list anywhere of independent bmw techs?
I am in the midlands and cannot find any.
Thanks for any help.

i expect the main dealer techies will change the oil and filter, piss on the wheels and return to customer.

Out of warranty - do all my own servicing. Including service reset.etc Im also aware of the difference, between me doing it and BMW. For example, When replacing the air cleaner, The first time, The blue painted tank and area was minging. Now, cleaned and polished before refitting covers. BMW service Kit - OE - £127.00, And my time, which I enjoy doing it !
100% familiar with the complete machine, inside and out.

Posted here as it relates to the 1250 boxer twins:

I get the normal email blurb from Motorrad and because of a dose of Covid this week, I decided to read them. These packages appear to be good value, especially if you time your purchase correctly. I have gone for the 3 year/18K package as I may change the bike after that period (The service package stays with the bike but can be transferred to a new owner).

The price for the 'Heinkel' was £750. Mine has just had the 6K minor service so for my money, I will get two major and one minor service (Confirmed by the service departent of my dealer of choice). In my experience of three 1200/1250s LCs, minor services are about £250 and major ones are about £450. This comes to £1150, so a saving of circa £400 is possible.

What's not to like? Posted for the attention of those who, like myself, may not of been aware of these packages.

I await a fellow 'Tosser' highlighting the massive flaw in these plans, which has escaped me. :):)

Are the packages with the individual dealer or valid at any UK BMW dealer ?

The reason I ask is that my local dealer owed me a full service for my F800GSA (long story) and then they changed name from Coopers to Vertu , enquired about the service when it was due and I basically got told to FRO it had nothing to do with them .

Are the packages with the individual dealer or valid at any UK BMW dealer ?

The reason I ask is that my local dealer owed me a full service for my F800GSA (long story) and then they changed name from Coopers to Vertu , enquired about the service when it was due and I basically got told to FRO it had nothing to do with them .

That’s a nice touch and a warm welcoming gesture to a returning customer to a new dealer group

Rowle.....not too far??? Defiantly worth a trip out, Steve is a top bloke.

https://www.rainbowworkshop.co.uk/

Never used this guy as I hadn’t realised he was so close to me until recently. Anyway once I saw he’s only 25 minutes away I enquired about some work (major service) and got no reply…..so I made contact again and was just told to have a look at his website. He couldn’t be arsed to even give a quote for the basic service.
With a main dealer only 5 miles away from me he won’t be getting another chance.

. Usually using rattle guns and generally untrained fitters who don't give a shit. Employed by franshised dealers who don't give a shit about you or your bike.

The dealers I use have viewing areas or cameras in the workshop. At the end of each service I have a little chat with the mechanic so I know who they are. I never experienced what you said in 30 years. Just saying...kind of a bull opinion:augie

Thinking about the service plan having been quoted £490 by Vines for my GSA1250 12k service. Mind you, the good chaps at Bahnstormer quoted £390.

Back
Top Bottom