Brake Fluid change

RPMDAKAR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone on here changed the brake fluid on a F650 2005 Dakar with ABS? had the bike some years now and thinks it may be due?

Yes and no!
My 2002 Dakar had its abs removed
But
My current '07 G650Xcountry, I guess, is the same.
I have just done mine yesterday.
You can do a conventional bleed but if you want the full monty bleed, you'll need a 911 diagnostic tool to run the abs purge cycle.

Yes and no!
My 2002 Dakar had its abs removed
But
My current '07 G650Xcountry, I guess, is the same.
I have just done mine yesterday.
You can do a conventional bleed but if you want the full monty bleed, you'll need a 911 diagnostic tool to run the abs purge cycle.
Hmmm, I have a need to refurb the rear brake unit due to sticking on and have lost the rear brake through overheating, so who is the go to guru for F650's here on the forum then? Happy to let someone trustworthy do the deed. I have spare front & rear calipers and was thinking of sending them off to have a overhaul and repaint, so what was involved with ABS removal and the associated speedo fix?

since 2016 I think it was, bikes must have ABS. Check with your MOT station.
to be sure.
Clock- no idea as had a TT one but then you can't test for whats not connected!
You then go back old school - you might need different length hoses.
Why get rid of a functioning abs?
Caliper change is straight forward

You could remove pump etc and run brake line from reservoir to caliper.
You could also:
Not remove the ABS pump & electronics. You can buy these 4 ABS pump blanking plugs and just run your braided lines old style from master cylinder to callipers. That way your ABS light on the dash goes out as you ride off and the pump doesn’t attenuate the brake pressure.
Check blanking screws with:
https://www.mssperformance.com/shop/brake-system/abs-blanks/abs-blanking-screws/

You CAN bleed the brakes without the GS911 dongle- it just takes a bit longer

Back
Top Bottom