Cant Bed Rear Tyre After Change - Bikes going in the bin!!!!

We Make Life A Ride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Folks am after tips to get a rear tyre - Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR - on the rim. I cant for the life of me get it to bed properly. The front went on no problem.

It seems to me that the problem is that at one end the tyre is sat in the deepest groove of the wheel and I've tried everything to shift it - fairy, ratchet strap, bouncing and still no joy. Am almost ready to take the tyre off and start again unless anyone has any ideas that might help?

Firstly re-lube the rim. Then put the air in as quick as you can. Then if that doesn’t work ratchet strap around the centre of the tyre.

Hope this isn't asking you to suck eggs.......

Removed the schraeder valve core first?
I've had success in removing the valve core, rapidly inflating the tyre to get it seated on the rim, then deflate and refit the valve core.

Yup. tried all that and valve core is out too.

Think I'm going to pull it off and start again. Problem also is the part of the tyre that is way off seating is right next to the TPMS/Valve so need to be a bit gentle in that area.

So frustrating though, I'm ready to throw it out the window :ROFLMAO:

I’ve had same problem when I’ve only just taken the packaging off the tyre as it stays in a narrower shape and won’t flex to sit as close to the bead as it needed. Trick for me was to take the tight wrapping off and put the tyre somewhere warm like an airing cupboard before putting it on. Also, must use a powerful enough compressor to guarantee inflating it!

I think low powered compressor might be my problem actually. Considering popping to local garage just now to ask them to try theirs.

take it to an adult.

or start again
Quite! Already took it off and put it on again. First tyre I've ever had this problem with and I've done a few over the years.

Anyhow, your're quite right. My 45 years on this earth are not enough to change a tyre and an appropriate adult with a bigger airline than me has been summoned for help this afternoon.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Well at least you’re attempting it. I was at some bike festival and watched a pro do it...and even then I thought..... f*ck that :D

Quite! Already took it off and put it on again. First tyre I've ever had this problem with and I've done a few over the years.

Anyhow, your're quite right. My 45 years on this earth are not enough to change a tyre and an appropriate adult with a bigger airline than me has been summoned for help this afternoon.

Thanks for your wisdom.
to make you feel better .. i'm an independent Guzzi mech ,
i took a wheel for a Triking to my garage round the corner on Monday , cos i couldn't get the rear tyre to sit on the bead . it happens to us all .

get everything nice & warm/malleable.

I used to warm the tyre up by riding it flat for a bit with the valve core out as mentioned above.

On the odd occasion I’ve done tyres I find a ratchet strap around the tyre helps.

Bounce it on the floor on the opposite side of the wheel where it’s stuck in the rim while you fill it with air (inner valve removed as mention in previous post - sounds awkward but easy when it’s all front of you, and if the valve is at the point where the tyre is stuck in the rim :D

I had a hell of a job with a Michelin Road 6 rear on my GS a couple of weeks ago. Exactly the same problem, couldn't get it to bead properly on the rim.

In the end I managed it with a big F off ratchet strap all around the outside, pulled really tight, and then bouncing/squashing it at the same time as blowing air into it with my airline, finally it started to seal and then once it starts to hold air it beaded up OK.

Next step was to squirt some easy start into it and then put a match to it to get it to seal. I was also going to get one of those tyre blaster compressed air tools that you charge with a compressor and then fire air straight into the rim, they seem to work great.

In the end I persevered and did it. It was the only time I had this problem in 30yrs of fitting my own tyres.

Your all making me feel much better. I've probably only changed 10 tyres myself but never had an issue before.

I've tried most of the suggestions here so far and none are working for me on this occasion. I'll persevere for a bit longer but have otherwise lined up the local garage to get his airline on it in the morning

Your all making me feel much better. I've probably only changed 10 tyres myself but never had an issue before.

I've tried most of the suggestions here so far and none are working for me on this occasion. I'll persevere for a bit longer but have otherwise lined up the local garage to get his airline on it in the morning

What are you trying to inflate it with?

A rechargeable compressor. It's not too powerful but it did the front one just fine. My garage compressor broke a few months back and that would probably would have had enough juice to get it over the lip.

I think that's the issue, you need a decent amount of air from the tank at a good pressure.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom