Cant Bed Rear Tyre After Change - Bikes going in the bin!!!!

I've used CO2 canisters to seat a tyre before now. My "hobby" compressor sometimes isn't quick enough for awkward beads.
Mark

You definitely need a pretty powerful compressor to get air into the tyre quickly to get it onto the bead. When it's off the bead, air is escaping pretty much everywhere, the secret is to get more air into it than is escaping, this starts to swell the tyre and when it swells it starts to seal on the rim better, this in turn lessens the leakage round the rim and then hey presto it should pop onto the bead with a bang. Always remove the valve core when trying to bead it, this will allow air into the tyre faster. When it's popped onto the bead correctly, let it down and then fit the valve core and re-inflate it.

Something like this with a min of a 24 litre tank is what you need - works a treat on seating tyres and can be used for lots of other stuff as well :)

Something like this with a min of a 24 litre tank is what you need - works a treat on seating tyres and can be used for lots of other stuff as well :)

Yup. Had one but it died few months back. Just not got around to replacing it. Was a really useful piece of kit too.

I’ve had same problem when I’ve only just taken the packaging off the tyre as it stays in a narrower shape and won’t flex to sit as close to the bead as it needed. Trick for me was to take the tight wrapping off and put the tyre somewhere warm like an airing cupboard before putting it on. Also, must use a powerful enough compressor to guarantee inflating it!
Trick for that is to blow up with a inner tube for a while before fitting JJH

A rechargeable compressor. It's not too powerful but it did the front one just fine. My garage compressor broke a few months back and that would probably would have had enough juice to get it over the lip.
The rechargeable yolk won’t cut it. Connect it to your broken compressor and fill the tank to 140 psi. That will pop the tyre for you JJH

The rechargeable yolk won’t cut it. Connect it to your broken compressor and fill the tank to 140 psi. That will pop the tyre for you JJH
Genius! I hadn't thought it that

But in any case. Thanks for all the suggestions. Took it to the local garage and it popped on in a matter of seconds.

Also, as the say every cloud has a silver lining. I live in a sleepy little village in the Forest and didn't realise this garage does bike MOTs as well as cars. So that'll save me an hour's round trip in future too.

Note to self: buy new compressor because the rear on the other GS will need doing soon 🙄

Back
Top Bottom