Caravan WiFi

Pops

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I would like WiFi in my caravan and there seems to be many options available.
What do you guys use, any recommendations? What’s good, what’s bad?
TIA

Tethering your laptop to you mobile phone no good then?

tom

Might be worth asking Sparkplug of this parish,he's good at this sort of stuff

Kimbo

Tethering your laptop to you mobile phone no good then?

tom

That's pretty much all I do for all of my internet needs, which as well as browsing, I work from home and need the internet whilst I'm working, all of our TV and streaming needs are also covered by this. Reason being is local fibre is shite, initially I got 12 mbs down, then it dropped to 9mbs. Whereas 4G has been constant at 41mbs.
I have an ee sim only plan of 170gb info per month for £20 a month.

Most modern 'smartphones' have the option to use that as a mobile hotspot. By far the easiest option.

Unless you are planning to have 24/7 internet access in your caravan (i.e. to provide a security feed or some such), you dont really need anything other than your smartphone which will be more than enough with 4g and even more still with 5g.

Top end, get a starlink.

Below that go for something like https://shop.caravanclub.co.uk/product/1045352/avtex-wifi-amr985-for-motorhomes-and-caravans

blelow that, get a router that takes a sim card.

Next and last is tether a smartphone.

If you want fast wifi and good signal, you need to spend money.

That's some pretty shoddy advice there. You can spend hundreds on a mobile router such as https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/5g-ready-flex/ but they still need a SIM card, which would be the same as you put in your phone. If there is no service for the area the caravan is in, that's £500 down the pan. You could of course, have a different SIM, but that applies equally for the phone. It wont be providing any different speeds than you would get from your phone, because it's the same tech.

Mobile phone hotspot. It drives tablets and laptops as well as streaming TV.

If you mobile has no signal, it's unlikely that any other device will work well either.

if you dont want to use your mobile as a hotspot and would prefer a router option.

go to smarty mobile and get a data only deal.
its cheap and works well, unlimited data £20

you can then get a 4g router and stick the sim card in.
they also do 5g if you need more speed

if you dont want to use your mobile as a hotspot and would prefer a router option.

go to smarty mobile and get a data only deal.
its cheap and works well, unlimited data £20

you can then get a 4g router and stick the sim card in.
they also do 5g if you need more speed

5g is also better if the cell tower is congested, although with reduced range

Who would have thought such a simple request would start a war between members, must be the UKGSER effect:rolleyes:
I don’t currently use much data on my phone so have a very small data allowance. I might have to look at increasing this or maybe going for the mifi option with a separate SIM on PAYG for the occasions I am using the caravan.

It's good advice you daft twat. If you don't like it go and fuck yourself

I suppose some queer social worker is an expert in this field now

There's no need for that now really is there? Surely you can disagree in a more civil manner than that?

Depends what you need it for... As already said, for cheap and readily available, the 5G router/phone tether is a good starting option. (of course, if you have signal where the caravan is) :)

Have a look at one of the SIM-only plans. HotUKdeals has a running mega-thread on it. Data comes really cheap these days. A neat trick - if you have VirginMedia broadband/TV at home, they "partner up" with O2 and double the O2 data plan. (they call it "volt" ) . I am on O2 15Gb 5G data, unlimited calls/text/ EU roaming for about 8 quid a month. Because I am on VM, they doubled my data to 30GB per month... I am yet to find a way to use that up in a month (but I do use WiFi at home/work).

Even if you are only using the SIM in one of the portable 5G modem/wifi thingies in the caravan, it is still only less than £100 a year for caravan WiFi...

HTH.

Who would have thought such a simple request would start a war between members, must be the UKGSER effect:rolleyes:
I don’t currently use much data on my phone so have a very small data allowance. I might have to look at increasing this or maybe going for the mifi option with a separate SIM on PAYG for the occasions I am using the caravan.

If you find yourself having to step outside the caravan to get a decent signal then Starlink will be the most efficient but as with most things your budget and needs will control the final decision.

We were away in the Dales last weekend and using phone tethering to try and watch the MotoGP was a waste of time until we put the phone outside and the iPad by the door of the caravan with the top half of the door open :D

Unlocked Mifi unit on a different network to your phone (improves your chances in remote areas where coverage may not be so good) . Get one that can repeat a campsite wifi for example or will default to 4G if there is no wifi available. Keep your phone for backup wifi use

When we went away in the van last year, we had no problem with internet to the extent that my 11 year old was able to tether his switch to my phone's hotspot and play Fortnite.

If you are in a metal skinned caravan, you might find you need an arial on top of the van for a decent signal, but if your caravan is fibreglass, it should be fine just on your phone. Again, though, it depends on your usage. An added benefit of a seperate router would be that it could be on a different network for occasions where the service from one is a bit shit. I would recommend EE and 3, if you are going that way.

When we went away in the van last year, we had no problem with internet to the extent that my 11 year old was able to tether his switch to my phone's hotspot and play Fortnite.

If you are in a metal skinned caravan, you might find you need an arial on top of the van for a decent signal, but if your caravan is fibreglass, it should be fine just on your phone. Again, though, it depends on your usage. An added benefit of a seperate router would be that it could be on a different network for occasions where the service from one is a bit shit. I would recommend EE and 3, if you are going that way.

so not £500 down the pan ;)

Back
Top Bottom