Check your passport’s expiry date - and while you are at it your driving licence and travel insurance

Wapping

Reaction score
As we all approach the spring and summer, here’s a gentle reminder to those of us unfortunate enough to hold a UK passport, to check their expiry dates:

Since the UK left the EU, travellers heading to all countries within the zone - and including Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein and Switzerland, but not Ireland - must have a passport which was issued less than 10 years before their departure date.

It must also be valid for three months after their planned return date.

Last edited:
Besides one’s passport, and on a side note, bods must check their driving licence expiry date too.

I just had mine renewed at a post office on a Sunday, the weekend before last, as it was due to expire on June 9th of this year, bang spalt in the middle of my jollies away.

Brand spanking new photocard licence has landed on my door mat last Saturday, a mere 6 days later.
They’ve even added a trailer towing category, for free! How very lovely of them. 😊

My paper driving licence is still valid for many years. It’ll be on the Antiques Roadshow soon.

Don't forget to make sure you've got clean pants on too, your mum would never forgive you if you got knocked down by a bus wearing dirty ones.

mine expired not long ago so applied for a GHIC. It's got some jingoistic red & white branding. I would like it in purple & blue.
Mine also came with the ‘we’re all on our own’ colours, doubtless made in the EU.

I see on the news that a chap from Wales lost £3000 because of this oversight.

Just another brexit benefit :thumb2

As we all approach the spring and summer, here’s a gentle reminder to those of us unfortunate enough to hold a UK passport, to check their expiry dates:

Since the UK left the EU, travellers heading to all countries within the zone - and including Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein and Switzerland, but not Ireland - must have a passport which was issued less than 10 years before their departure date.

It must also be valid for three months after their planned return date.

Mine was issued on 28/4/2015
Expires 28/6/2025
Starter for 10….what the last date I can viably travel ?
28/3/2025 ?

No, as far as the EU is concerned, it expires 10 years after date of issue, so Jan 2025
this !!!! the extra days that you used to be able to use have now stopped, so its 10 years from the issue, not expiry.......the current turn around for renewing varies depending on the way you do it, cheapest is via a form from the post office, old passport send away and takes 3 to 4 weeks max to be returned . Most expensive is a 20 min interview at a booked appointment ( passport office) cost of that is around £200 !

this !!!! the extra days that you used to be able to use have now stopped, so its 10 years from the issue, not expiry.......the current turn around for renewing varies depending on the way you do it, cheapest is via a form from the post office, old passport send away and takes 3 to 4 weeks max to be returned . Most expensive is a 20 min interview at a booked appointment ( passport office) cost of that is around £200 !

Or renew online and it comes back pretty quick for £82.50 https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew against paper form for £93

You also need a minimum of 3 months left on your passport on the day you leave the EU, so effectively you need to leave within 9 years and 9 months from the date of issue of your passport

Reactions: DC

Back
Top Bottom