Circuit of Turkey.

For the most part the roads are fine, the only time I had any wobbles was in the middle of summer in fairly remote central Turkey and on small back roads...the tarmac had melted, so it was feet down and hope for the best for a few kilometres. My wife was on the back and we were fully loaded, so that was fun. Other than that it's the speed bumps in villages that'll catch you out, some are unmarked and blend in too well.

Oil changes and tyres won't be a problem, Turkey has quite a strong bike culture so there're service points in all towns and cities. There's a member on here who run/ran a tyre shop in Bandirma (His name is Bariş...pronounced "Barish".) He's a good bloke and will probably help out if asked. If needed, and you can do it yourselves, you can have tyres delivered to my place and do your own oil changes here too.
Bariş’ shop changed my tyres very efficiently having emailed ahead. He will also ship tyres around the country to suit your choice and itinerary. I reckon road surfaces in Turkey (Türkiye) are on a par with Lancashire …

Bariş’ shop changed my tyres very efficiently having emailed ahead. He will also ship tyres around the country to suit your choice and itinerary. I reckon road surfaces in Turkey (Türkiye) are on a par with Lancashire …
Where is this shop please ?

Where is this shop please ?

If it’s anything like asking anyone in Turkey, where anything is, all you’ll get is the fellow waving his arms about expansively and saying repeatedly “Is here”. Of course it is plainly never anywhere near ‘here’ at all.

If it’s anything like asking anyone in Turkey, where anything is, all you’ll get is the fellow waving his arms about expansively and saying repeatedly “Is here”. Of course it is plainly never anywhere near ‘here’ at all.
...or he’ll jump on the back of your bike and shout, “I show you..I show you.” :D

...or he’ll jump on the back of your bike and shout, “I show you..I show you.” :D

We followed, at pretty high speed through Istanbul, a motorcycle courier delivering newspaper pictures on his CB 500. He had stopped to see if we were lost; which indeed we were. Happy days.

I incurred a couple of substantial speed fines on one of my 6 crossings of Turkey, this one back in 2008 en route to Syria, due to the ludicrously low (motorcycle) speed limits…don’t know if this is still the case but worth bearing in mind

I incurred a couple of substantial speed fines on one of my 6 crossings of Turkey, this one back in 2008 en route to Syria, due to the ludicrously low (motorcycle) speed limits…don’t know if this is still the case but worth bearing in mind
We went in ‘14 and it seemed to have been resolved … ‘tho not all rural policemen were up to speed!

So do you need a Carnet for Turkey? Hope not.

I’ve spent quite some time looking at routes, places to see, general trip planning.
So, he came round ( I’ll call him twat for now ) and tells me we only need 2 weeks. His wife ( twatess ) has told him it’s only 2 days to get to Istanbul, two days back leaving 10 days to tour Turkey.
To which I replied Twatess should keep her nose out as she has never even been on a bike. Can’t read a map apparently and thinks it’ll only take 2 days cos it only 4 hours by plane :blast . I found out how she worked it out. Her dad has a twin engine plane which goes at 200 mph. She’s been to Turkey by airliner and it took 4 hours…..
There fore 4 hours (airline ) X 200 mph ( dad’s plane ) = 800 miles. I was flabbergasted.
He bought a GSA last year ( in May I think) after being off bikes for 15 years , I’ve given some time doing the advanced training thing , about 400 in total. The bike now has 1200 miles on it.
In the end I explained a trip like this is beyond him. If he can’t be bothered to go out on it here, he’ll not fair well in Europe.
These 2 are educated folk both having managerial roles in large companies. In particular she’s high up in the pharma industry and earns shed loads of money. He’s an engineer of some sort. I met him 6 years ago and kind of thought he was educated but lacks an intelligence.
It just shows. Even mince can be lucky :blast
If it wasn’t for the fact he was totally serious, I would say I was being wound up.

Dear Mr. Twat,

Turkey's a big country, with lots to see (there's no point coming if you don't make the effort to see as much as possible). If all you'll do is stay in and around Istanbul then 2 weeks is fine.

But, travelling between different locations can often take a day, or at least half a day, and then with many of the interesting places taking several hours to walk around, think Efes, Pamukkale, Canakkale, Gallipoli to name just a few, 10 days will be a squeeze and that's not allowing for rest days, relaxing meals or just talking things in.

It's probably true to say that whatever time you think you need, add at the very least 20-30%

Dear Mr. Twat,

Turkey's a big country, with lots to see (there's no point coming if you don't make the effort to see as much as possible). If all you'll do is stay in and around Istanbul then 2 weeks is fine.

But, travelling between different locations can often take a day, or at least half a day, and then with many of the interesting places taking several hours to walk around, think Efes, Pamukkale, Canakkale, Gallipoli to name just a few, 10 days will be a squeeze and that's not allowing for rest days, relaxing meals or just talking things in.

It's probably true to say that whatever time you think you need, add at the very least 20-30%
That’s the whole thing, mrs twatess has him under the thumb. I want 4 or 5 weeks, but won’t allow him away for that long.

Does this work as a possible alternative.

Fly down to Turkey.

Hire two bikes.

Ride around for a couple of weeks.

Return hire bikes.

Fly back.

Failing that and assuming you are still talking to your friend, the forum has enough ideas, suggestions and routes for genuine two week trips, suitable for anyone who has a motorcycle licence.

PS There are plenty of rufty-tufty bikermates on this forum, whose wives will not let them out of their sight for more than five minutes. They’d jump at the opportunity of a two-week pass. Don’t let the opportunity slip.

Last edited:
Does this work as a possible alternative.

Fly down to Turkey.

Hire two bikes.

Ride around for a couple of weeks.

Return hire bikes.

Fly back.

Failing that and assuming you are still talking to your friend, the forum has enough ideas on genuine two week trips.

PS There are plenty of rufty-tufty bikermates on this forum, whose wives will not let them out of their sight for more than five minutes. They’d jump at the opportunity of a two-week pass. Don’t let the opportunity slip.
On one level it would, but the journey is half the fun.

On one level it would, but the journey is half the fun.

Then your proposal of you and your friend having four to five weeks away together, has foundered on the rocks of reality. Unless of course you just do it yourself and / or invite members of UKGSer to maybe join you.

:beerjug:

Then your proposal of you and your friend having four to five weeks away together, has foundered on the rocks of reality. Unless of course you just do it yourself and / or invite members of UKGSer to maybe join you.

:beerjug:
Nail….head….hit. (y)

Back
Top Bottom