Cool Base Layers

bristolsaint

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I like to wear a base layer under my riding kit, especially under leather jeans as it makes them easier to get on and off. My problem is that they make me too hot. It was 16c today and my merino base layer had me overheating.

Can anyone recommend a base layer that cools you down, rather than one designed to keep you warm. It would need to be available in sizes to suit the fuller figure. I really don't want compression stuff. It seems that a lot of cooling kit is designed for gym use and is super tight. I'd look like the Michelin Man but made from balloons! Not a good look.

Thin, lightweight, wicking leggings and tops is what's required.

Thanks in advance.

Do you parade around in your under garments often? Few people get to see me in base layers.

I have some EDZ ones that are a looser fit but just looked, seems they are no longer making the polyester ones. All their stuff is merino now.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/ is pretty good and I use their Isocool or similar T shirts. These rinse out and dry overnight. If you buy sensible colours, they are okay to wear in the evening. I take 3 on a trip. One to wear, one drying overnight and a spare.

e.g. https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/endurance-mens-t-shirt-p12580.aspx/black/ goes up to 4XL and under a tenner.

I have worn their lighter merino leggings in Spain & Portugal in 35C+ under textiles and I find they work better than the EDZ polyester ones and don't need washing every day.

Have a look at the options here - most are Isotherm for skiers but the bamboo ones might be an option - like merino, don't get stinky
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/base-layers/mens-leggings/
The stock might rotate to the summer range if you check back.

What were you wearing on top of the base layers to prevent them from breathing properly?

Helly Hansen have a good selection of base layers to suit different temperature ranges and activities. We are issued them in work and I get plenty of use out of them.

What were you wearing on top of the base layers to prevent them from breathing properly?

Hein Gericke goretex equivalent jacket with sleeve vents open and leather jeans over Helly Hansen merino base layer. Does it matter?

Hein Gericke goretex equivalent jacket with sleeve vents open and leather jeans over Helly Hansen merino base layer. Does it matter?

yes

I have abandoned leather jeans in favour of textiles as they are better in terms of heat dissipation and keeping rain out

I bought some oxford stuff recently from Motorcycle mega store sale however If paying full price the helly hansen hands down

Merino or nowt really

Polyester, just turns into a sodden layer,

The merino stuff, keeps me as fresh as a daisy

Louis do a range of Vanucci kit which I would recommend , they do keep you cool in Summer and will not make the mistake of wearing the leggings in mistake for the ones to keep you warm when it is 2 degrees.

Ended up bloody freezing

millets or go outdoors have a great selection of Helly Hanson or Craft base layers. the compression stuff you mention for the gym is ok if you by one or 2 sizes up , so then it fits as normal without trying to crush your kidneys. Sports direct carry a lot of running base layers , these are very lightweight and cool. Karrimor are one of their makes

Yes. The merino wool (any cooling base layer) needs air flow to help keep you cool and wick away sweat. If you're wearing clothing that prevents/restricts this you'll get too hot.

i can comfortably wear a merino wool long sleeve shirt under a 2 layer laminated jacket with all vents open comfortably in 20 degrees. The vents on this jacket directly allow airflow to access the body - ensuring that the air can pass through the jacket, around my body and help to cool me/wick away sweat.

The OP mentioned that they don't have a good view on Merino in their use of it.

I'd guess the thinnest layer of something that's wicking would be a starting point.

When it's really hot, I find this is really useful: https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/cold-therapy/techniche-kewlshirt-evaporative-cooling-t-shirt.html though a polyester t-shirt soaked in water is a cheaper option, though lasts less than an hour.

Not every merino base layer is of same weight. There is summer merino (thin) and there is winter merino (thick).

I definitely think that merino (for me personally) works best, after trying a number of different types of base layers.
One thing with merino, is that moth do like it equally as much, as I do. So keep a bag of lavender in same drawer. Makes things smell nice too…

I was too warm with Helly Hansen merino. That stuff on the link looks really good, but expensive. However, if it's that good, it's worth the cost. Thanks.

The link was more of a information and explanation why merino wool is a perfect choice for base layer.

There are cheaper options out there. Just make sure to buy thin stuff (125g) for the summer and (200g +) for cooler months.

You’ve mentioned that you wear leather trousers, they might be supple and comfortable to wear but I can’t see them being breathable in same way as say pair of riding jeans would.
Base layers are designed to absorb and to wick the sweat away from the body, it like wearing merino wool whilst being sat inside a plastic bag, there is nowhere for that hot humid air to escape. So naturally you will feel hot and wet out.
I think first thing for you to do, is to change your trousers, for something a bit more breathable, then add a quality base layer.

I use a karrimoor wicking t shirt in the summer and a pair of lightweight (board) shorts, the Wolf outlast laminate kit I have is supposed to help control temp as well.

Al.

I've used Pro Skins base layers for years, even in 35C temps abroad. Virtually no sweating, they don't stink and get wet, easy to wash in the sink and dry overnight. I've worn them under MX armour in Spain and they kept me at a constant manageable temp. Feels weird putting full length base layers on when it's hot but they do work.
I also have thicker merino wool ones for the winter

Back
Top Bottom