Damaged bike, what would you do? Dealer question

The only way you're going to disguise those marks is to get some satin black on top of the scratches.

A clean with some thinners/solvent (nothing too strong) and then a quick flick of the wrist with a rattle can and a couple of passes will put some paint on.

If it doesn't work just quickly wipe again with thinners and try again. Ive found satin Hammerite good but might be a bit thick for this task. Maybe a very thin artists brush (couple of hairs) would allow you to get sufficient paint on the scratch to cover.

If there's paint on the scratch corrosion will not set in. Particularly after you have ACF'd it.

Simple question.

Have you got any leverage? If you don’t owe them money, and you don’t have a legal right to reject, then you’d be better fixing it yourself and moving on.

You get your revenge by naming and shaming. Maybe it’ll hurt their sales, though I wouldn’t bet on it.

Sadly no leverage. I know I didn't cause the damage but I also know that I can't prove they did, how, or when.

They are still stringing me along though and BMW UK has washed their hands of the matter and said "it's been you and the dealer to sort".

Seriously, if you're being fobbed off like that and you're not happy, you'll just have to play the game. Go in there on a Saturday when they're busy and start raising your voice and being a pain. Stop being too British and polite and make sure you let them know how you're feeling about them treating you like a schmuck. Obviously, don't overplay it and behave so badly that they call the police, but stand your ground. They won't want other customers to see you having an issue with them treating you badly.

Sadly no leverage. I know I didn't cause the damage but I also know that I can't prove they did, how, or when.

They are still stringing me along though and BMW UK has washed their hands of the matter and said "it's been you and the dealer to sort".

That is the attitude that the motor companies take, “the contract is between you and your dealer, sir”. You could try the BMIF or whatever they call themselves. The chair is/was the head of BMW Motorrad UK.

Mr Paolo Alves,
Head, BMW Motorrad UK & Ireland
Farnborough

paolo.alves@bmw.ie

Don’t suppose it’ll help you any more than it helped me, but you might be lucky.

As an ex-BMW dealer tech and a current main dealer tech elsewhere, I can tell you that this is VERY COMMON. In a busy dealership where bikes are just job numbers, no one really cares about your bike. It maybe your pride and joy, but in their eyes, it's just another bike coming through. A bit like a Hermes parcel.

Bikes get damaged ALL THE TIME. And no one wants to take responsibilty for it. This varies from dealer to dealer, the cost of the damage and their policy of "who pays for fuck-ups" In your case, they would have to replace the engine cases. It would cost a FORTUNE !! So no way is anyone owning up that one. From the driver to the manager.

The things I've seen hidden and damage un-reported would make you shudder.

My guess is that it's van damage. From the hooks, buckles or clasps on whatever strapping system they use. They've probably used your engine bars and the buckle has been flapping around. The paint is REALLY THIN. You really should have looked it over thoroughly after delivery but isn't hindsight wonderful.

OR. It's gravel rash or stone chip. Kicked up from the front wheel. (Did they test ride it?)

The bike hasn't been worked on (as far as you know), so I can't see how it would be tooling marks. But you never know what goes on behind those dealership doors when customers aren't looking.

I HATE MAIN dealers. Especially BMW ones. Having worked in them for so long. They're all coniving, dis-honest and obsessed about the bottom line over everything else. They might look impressive with all their clean glass, livery and frothy coffees. But behind the scenes are a lot of of underpaid pissed off people who are generally low paid, in-experienced and disinterested.

Unfortunatly in this case, It's their word against yours. You probably wouldn't have a case in small claims court. You can't prove anything.

You could try BMW customer services. They're usually helpful and can really put pressure on the dealer to keep you happy.

But on the plus side, it's a really easy touch up job. I've seen new bikes scratched worse than this touched up by a sharpie marker before being delivered to the new owner.

Perhaps you could make a deal with the dealer that you won't persue it further if they have it touched up by a professional. (Not their in-house knuckle dragger with a tin of hammerite)

P.S. Don't worry about the sealant. They all do that. It's just the excess. Pull it off and carry on.

As an ex-BMW dealer tech and a current main dealer tech elsewhere, I can tell you that this is VERY COMMON. In a busy dealership where bikes are just job numbers, no one really cares about your bike. It maybe your pride and joy, but in their eyes, it's just another bike coming through. A bit like a Hermes parcel.

Bikes get damaged ALL THE TIME. And no one wants to take responsibilty for it. This varies from dealer to dealer, the cost of the damage and their policy of "who pays for fuck-ups" In your case, they would have to replace the engine cases. It would cost a FORTUNE !! So no way is anyone owning up that one. From the driver to the manager.

My guess is that it's van damage. From the hooks, buckles or clasps on whatever strapping system they use. They've probably used your engine bars and the buckle has been flapping around. The paint is REALLY THIN. You really should have looked it over thoroughly after delivery but isn't hindsight wonderful.

OR. It's gravel rash or stone chip. Kicked up from the front wheel. (Did they test ride it?)

The bike hasn't been worked on (as far as you know), so I can't see how it would be tooling marks. But you never know what goes on behind those dealership doors when customers aren't looking.

I HATE MAIN dealers. Especially BMW ones. Having worked in them for so long. They're all coniving, dis-honest and obsessed about the bottom line over everything else. They might look impressive with all their clean glass, livery and frothy coffees. But behind the scenes are a lot of of underpaid pissed off people who are generally low paid, in-experienced and disinterested.

Unfortunatly in this case, It's their word against yours. You probably wouldn't have a case in small claims court. You can't prove anything.

You could try BMW customer services. They're usually helpful and can really put pressure on the dealer to keep you happy.

But on the plus side, it's a really easy touch up job. I've seen new bikes scratched worse than this touched up by a sharpie marker before being delivered to the new owner.

Perhaps you could make a deal with the dealer that you won't persue it further if they have it touched up by a professional. (Not their in-house knuckle dragger with a tin of hammerite)

P.S. Don't worry about the sealant. They all do that. It's just the excess. Pull it off and carry on.

This just about sums it up
All corporate large dealers nowadays and only interested in Profit
Gone are the days of family owned dealerships, where you know the owner and who ran their own touring trips for the customer base & you would spend a week with some of folk from your local dealership
They rode and cared about the brand, the bikes and their own customers
I remember buying a new GS in 2002 from Rainbow - Easter was approaching and I had a trip planned
The bike wasn’t quite ready (some aftermarket accessories I had ordered hadn’t arrived and really not their fault)
They took my p/ex on Good Friday and gave me the keys to a brand new R1150R with 2 miles on the clock, that was going to be a demo
Go and run it in for us, over the long weekend & I took it off to Somerset, Devon & Cornwall for 7-800 miles
Shaun, the owner was a top bloke
No charge
If I was buying a new BMW bike, the only place I would go now is Barrie Robson BMW’s in York

I have a good relationship with my dealer but then I pay for it with the amount of bikes I buy. They sort any problems.

Its about the customers behaviour. If you approach it in the correct way most things get sorted. Act like a bellend and you get a big bag of feck all.

IIts about the customers behaviour. If you approach it in the correct way most things get sorted. Act like a bellend and you get a big bag of feck all.

Glad to read you're not a bellend in real life. Proves online impressions can be wrong.

This just about sums it up
All corporate large dealers nowadays and only interested in Profit
Gone are the days of family owned dealerships, where you know the owner and who ran their own touring trips for the customer base & you would spend a week with some of folk from your local dealership
They rode and cared about the brand, the bikes and their own customers
I remember buying a new GS in 2002 from Rainbow - Easter was approaching and I had a trip planned
The bike wasn’t quite ready (some aftermarket accessories I had ordered hadn’t arrived and really not their fault)
They took my p/ex on Good Friday and gave me the keys to a brand new R1150R with 2 miles on the clock, that was going to be a demo
Go and run it in for us, over the long weekend & I took it off to Somerset, Devon & Cornwall for 7-800 miles
Shaun, the owner was a top bloke
No charge
If I was buying a new BMW bike, the only place I would go now is Barrie Robson BMW’s in York
Went all the way from Felixstowe to him in York for a GS 1250 was a used bike but very happy with them . Dealt with Conner, seemed a nice guy.

Do they also provide free legal cover ? As it relates to the transaction made on the card, you could still be entitled to help if a legal process develops.
I don't think it makes any difference if the deposit was refunded or not. I believe the fact it was used as part of the transaction is the key

I'm very confident I know who this dealer is! I have had dealings too. I'll never go back. They used to be OK - they had a great sales guy who is now at Williams I think. Over the time I have been dealing with them, they've gone steadily downhill. Half the staff in Motorrad are from the car dealership, they're not motorcyclists. It's one of the primary reasons I will look harder at Triumph next time I buy a new bike. The Triumph dealers round me are bike shops, the staff are bike fanatics. They ride bikes. They mostly sell other marques too. Better still I will get my GS serviced by an Indie. Someone who cares, and does the job right... MotoRevive and JohnnyBoxer have got it right IMO
JB - i bought 2 bikes off Shaun at Rainbow. They had a head mechanic (called Lee or Leigh IIRC) - he was brilliant!

I had something very similar happen with a new Harley purchase. It was 3 months late, parts fitted or supplied were not the ones ordered, the tank was deeply scratched and the pegs and gearchange cluster came loose on the way home as they hadn't properly gone over the bike the bike. Took it straight back and told them I wanted a new tank, the parts actually ordered fitted and an explanation.

Several weeks later I had a call and they were to drop it off to me. Arrived without the screen kit and with a poorly repaired tank. Sent it straight back. Manager said they wouldn't supply a new tank, or if I wanted one it would take months but they'd send it back to their audi franchise paint shop and re-do properly. It eventually came back and I asked for discount on the parts ordered for my trouble. They gave me that. 9 months later they fitted a pannier kit to it and managed to F-up the securing bolts as when I went to remove them to clean the bike, I found that they had all been cross threaded by chimps with power tools. At that point, I completely lost it with them and demanded a refund minus a mutually agreed sum for the mileage I had put up in the 9 months. Luckily, they agreed, I dropped the bike off, wandered up to Triumph and bought a Tiger 1200 instead. I'll never deal with that Franchise again. Generally I think that you get good and bad franchises, and it doesn't take much digging to find out beforehand. The fact you had bikes previously suffer damage would have put me off buying from them again despite them sorting it.

I've had no issues at all with my nearest dealer, Cotswold Motorrad, who seem to be fine to deal with and do seem to actually care about customer service.

I had something very similar happen with a new Harley purchase. It was 3 months late, parts fitted or supplied were not the ones ordered, the tank was deeply scratched and the pegs and gearchange cluster came loose on the way home as they hadn't properly gone over the bike the bike. Took it straight back and told them I wanted a new tank, the parts actually ordered fitted and an explanation.

Several weeks later I had a call and they were to drop it off to me. Arrived without the screen kit and with a poorly repaired tank. Sent it straight back. Manager said they wouldn't supply a new tank, or if I wanted one it would take months but they'd send it back to their audi franchise paint shop and re-do properly. It eventually came back and I asked for discount on the parts ordered for my trouble. They gave me that. 9 months later they fitted a pannier kit to it and managed to F-up the securing bolts as when I went to remove them to clean the bike, I found that they had all been cross threaded by chimps with power tools. At that point, I completely lost it with them and demanded a refund minus a mutually agreed sum for the mileage I had put up in the 9 months. Luckily, they agreed, I dropped the bike off, wandered up to Triumph and bought a Tiger 1200 instead. I'll never deal with that Franchise again. Generally I think that you get good and bad franchises, and it doesn't take much digging to find out beforehand. The fact you had bikes previously suffer damage would have put me off buying from them again despite them sorting it.

I've had no issues at all with my nearest dealer, Cotswold Motorrad, who seem to be fine to deal with and do seem to actually care about customer service.
Is that HD in Preston???

No. But some others I understand, have a similar reputation!

Back
Top Bottom