Disappointing result with Daytona and Motolegends

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mrs Berin bought a new pair of Daytona Roadstar’s to replace an 10+ year old pair which had started leaking.
Mrs Berin’s kit has a hard life as she does about 10k miles a year commuting in pretty much any weather, but buying good kit like Rukka and Daytona has served well.

However, on the first outing in the new Daytona’s in heavy rain they leaked, across the bridge of the foot.
They were sent back to Motolegends, who sent them to Daytona (I guess in reality the importer) who tested them and said no leak found. The Motolegends test is to put them in a bowl of water, which is no way representative of riding in the rain at 70mph.

They sent the boots back with a suggestion she doesn’t tuck the trousers into the boots!

They also suggested she contact GoreTex direct but as far as they are concerned claim denied.

Not what I expected of either Daytona or Motolegends especially since we spend a good few thousand with them between us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrs Berin bought a new pair of Daytona Roadstar’s to replace an 10+ year old pair which had started leaking.
Mrs Berin’s kit has a hard life as she does about 10k miles a year commuting in pretty much any weather, but buying good kit like Rukka and Daytona has served well.

However, on the first outing in the new Daytona’s in heavy rain they leaked, across the bridge of the foot.
They were sent back to Motolegends, who sent them to Daytona (I guess in reality the importer) who tested them and said no leak found. The Motolegends test is to put them in a bowl of water, which is no way representative of riding in the rain at 70mph.

They sent the boots back with a suggestion she doesn’t tuck the trousers into the boots!

They also suggested she contact GoreTex direct but as far as they are concerned claim denied.

Not what I expected of either Daytona or Motolegends especially since we spend a good few thousand with them between us.

So what would you expect? If they tested them and they don't leak, why would they replace them? How about trying what they suggested. Give Tran Am a call direct, they are in the New Forest and speak to them and tell them what a valued customer you are and have a whinge.

Motolegends customer service is the best in the business .
I can’t see how a boot can leak at 70 mph if it is totally waterproof when immersed in a bucket .
Sounds to me like user error, as Motolegends suggested.

one avenue to explore, if the boots were bought using a credit card, is S75 cover. The bank is jointly liable with the retailer but you would have to establish that the verdict from the retailer is incorrect or at least flawed.

Not many things worse than leaky boots. Like your wife I ride circa 20k throughout the year so have good kit. I bought a pair of Goretex Rev-It boots from Sportsbike Shop to replace my dutiful Sidis. They started leaking about 9 months in so I contacted Sportsbike Shop. They sent them off to Rev—It who tested them & agreed they leaked. As that particular boot was discontinued Sportsbike Shop offered me the newer boot or whatever I wanted to the same value so I went back to Sidi & got Adventure 2’s.
As leaks can be hard to recreate I suggest your wife carries on with the Daytonas & if they leak again get photos of the wet sock etc.
As you say Daytona are a premium brand at a premium price & the boots shouldn’t leak.

I can’t see how a boot can leak at 70 mph if it is totally waterproof when immersed in a bucket .

I am inclined to agree. I wear the short Daytona boots and occasionally I get a damp foot. I wear my Rukka trousers over the boots. I think, under certain conditions, water will track up between the trouser leg and boot. Of course, the water does not have so far to go compared to full height boots before it overtops the boot. The same can happen with trousers and a jacket misleading people to think they have a leaky crotch seam. Capillary action.

I know the OP is disappointed, but my experience with Motolegends is the polar opposite.

I returned a pair of Rukka trousers which were leaking. They have a standard process and lots of warnings to try and avoid returns based on user error, but I was convinced they were faulty so went through all the steps.

It took a while to do but they sent them for independent testing, the leak was confirmed and a full credit provided; can’t say fairer than that.

I may be prepared to to put my watch in a bucket of water but no way would I direct a pressure washer on it.

70mph raindrops are very different to a gentle immersion in water.

tom

Not the same but maybe useful..

I bought some top of the range waterproof hiking shoes from Go Outdoors.

Second or third outing, whilst walking across wet grassy fields they leaked.

I got the same response as the OP- water must be tracking from the trousers.

Then I showed them the pics of my feet with socks on. The toes were sodden but the rest of the sock was dry.

Instant result- exchanged.

Maybe, but I don’t see how. The leak is in a stripe right across the bridge. The top part of the sock is completely dry, and so is the foot of the sock. The socks were wet when she got in but dry when she set off, and of course the trousers were outside the boot. And she does 10,000 miles a year, all weathers - more than most of us- so she knows what she’s doing.

The bucket test really isn’t much use since it doesn’t generate any force or hydrostatic head. I don’t know how Tranam test,

Not many things worse than leaky boots. Like your wife I ride circa 20k throughout the year so have good kit. I bought a pair of Goretex Rev-It boots from Sportsbike Shop to replace my dutiful Sidis. They started leaking about 9 months in so I contacted Sportsbike Shop. They sent them off to Rev—It who tested them & agreed they leaked. As that particular boot was discontinued Sportsbike Shop offered me the newer boot or whatever I wanted to the same value so I went back to Sidi & got Adventure 2’s.
As leaks can be hard to recreate I suggest your wife carries on with the Daytonas & if they leak again get photos of the wet sock etc.
As you say Daytona are a premium brand at a premium price & the boots shouldn’t leak.

She did indeed get photos of the wet socks (both boots leaked) and sent them in.

I am inclined to agree. I wear the short Daytona boots and occasionally I get a damp foot. I wear my Rukka trousers over the boots. I think, under certain conditions, water will track up between the trouser leg and boot. Of course, the water does not have so far to go compared to full height boots before it overtops the boot. The same can happen with trousers and a jacket misleading people to think they have a leaky crotch seam. Capillary action.

These are Roadstars, though, not short boots. And this never happened once in the the 10 years using the old, exact same, Roadstars.

Not the same but maybe useful..

I bought some top of the range waterproof hiking shoes from Go Outdoors.

Second or third outing, whilst walking across wet grassy fields they leaked.

I got the same response as the OP- water must be tracking from the trousers.

Then I showed them the pics of my feet with socks on. The toes were sodden but the rest of the sock was dry.

Instant result- exchanged.

Need it to rain heavily again for another test!

We might try talking to GoreTex. They changed a near 10 year old jacket for me as it had started to leak, even though the leak was likely because I had crashed into a big thorn bush.

The construction of the Roadstars is such that the leak, across the top of the foot, could only have come in through the GoreTex inner.

Be careful using the Gore guarantee, had an issue a good few years ago with a Hein Gericke goretex jacket which after 12 months was leaking like a sieve, took it back and they basically said it is out of warranty contact Gore UK regarding the 5 year warranty which I did.

Their response was send it to us and we will test the jacket (by cutting it into bits to check the goretex liner) , if the goretex material/membrane is faulty we will authorise a replacement with Hein Gericke , if ,however, it is a manufacturing or design fault basically tough sh*t.

We will though return the cut up remains of your £320 jacket to you

Motolegends were brilliant when my 6 month old Stylmartin boots leaked. I did the bucket test, yes leaked. Sent them back. New pair within a week. Guess what new ones leaked too. No, I didn’t want a third pair. Equally I didn’t want a refund as I needed boots. Stylmartin boots were an extra wide fit and the only other extra wide were Daytonas. So they sent me a pair of extra wide Roadstars at no additional cost along with a grovelling letter apologising for my inconvenience. Daytona definitely a significant upgrade on Stylmartin except in looks. Apart from selling me crap boots in the first place their service was hard to fault. Likewise I bought a pair of Rokker jeans just before I went on a diet. The diet worked and I lost a load of weight but hung onto the jeans in case the weight went back on. Months later with the the jeans unworn I phoned and could I swap for another size. Certainly could, returns form emailed and within a week a smaller size was delivered. I even got annother Rokker T shirt. Again great service from Motolegends.

For the leak test can i suggest you put some weight inside the boots to keep them underwater past where you think they are leaking and then leave in the bucket or bowl for 30 mins or so. Put some kitchen roll inside pick up and dampness coming through. And don’t use freezing cold water either. You’ll get condensation on the inside of the boots. Water at room temperature if possible.

I've sent 2 rukka jacket s, a pair of Daytonas (long), a pair of Stadler trousers, A bering jacket back due to water ingress. All have been replaced. But here's the caveat:
  1. The rukka was 5 years old -Gore (Not Rukka) footed the bill and sent me a credit for the value of it...Not much you can buy 6 years later for same cash...
  2. Daytona - m legends sent me to goretex, they stumped up a voucher -boots were 50 K miles in...result
  3. Bering jacket was a straight credit from Motolegends as it was less than 6 months old, although it did include a faff sending it here and there for testing
  4. Stadler trousers were tested by m legends, then lancashire sports repair, then again by goretex themselves at LSR!!. Credit issued by Gore. M legends were just the go between, I basically sorted all my warranty issues myself.
  5. Manufacturing is a high standard, gore seem to be getting hit with their liners rather than the manufacturer getting hit with manufacturing issues..
  6. I've been unlucky with my waterproof gear but lucky by goretex replacing stuff.
  7. On another note my 16 year old patagonia waterproof jacket has finally started leaking. It cost £400 quid in 2007. Patagonia have repaired it once free, now its at the end of line (only leaking on shoulder area) but they have just said, can't repair, sorry. Heres a 40% off voucher for your new jacket...quids in..

Back
Top Bottom