Engine cover, final drive repaint.

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After working on my GS these last two weekends, I have a clearer picture of the corrosion damage.
Not terrible, but paint started flaking (big flakes) off the bottom of the final drive and near the plug, as long as the usual couple of spots on the front engine cover.

I can live with that for now, but might make sense to repaint in a year or two. Rear subframe might need to be stripped/cleaned and repainted too as it shows signs of surface rust here and there.

I wouldn't mind doing the front engine cover myself, but wouldn't touch the final drive... so if one gets that done... chuck the engine cover in too.
Is it extremely/stupidly expensive to have the final drive repainted? Anywhere in/around London that does this kind of stuff?

I can't help with where to get it done but mines gone a bit on the under side of the final drive - I use smooth silver hammerite which is a good match. For the cost of a tin of Hammerite it could be worth fettling it yourself?

Do it your self. Both are in a position where the work can't be seen unless your looking for it but will still look good . As headtester said hammeritte is your best option. Engine cover should be removed to do the best job if you can get it media blasted all the better, otherwise wire brush on a drill to loosen off all flaking paint and then rub down the whole thing with wet and dry. Paint on hammeritte. Preparation is key the longer you spend on it the better the finish.
The final drive rub down be careful if you're using the wire brush on the drill around the drain plug. If you decide to get it done professionally you will have to obviously remove it which is unnecessary if you do I yourself

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve seen bikes repainted with hammerite and I’m ok with that.

Going the “professional” route was in the hope of having a longer lasting finish.

The final drive repaint is especially around the drain plug.

Going the professional route on the final drive will require the removal of everything as they'll want to use some sort of media to blast it. Otherwise they can mask up and respray. The problem there is eventually given the location the paint will eventually start to come off again. Honestly your best option is to do it yourself.
The rear subframe I'd get it powdercoated relatively straight forward enough to remove

Yes, make sense. That's why I was worried about costs for professional paint as I imagined the entire final drive would have to be disassembled.

I'll go the hammerite route. My friend Tom did parts of his bike (my old Boxercup) with it and the result was surprisingly good.
My GS is the complete opposite of a garage queen. I just don't like having the paint flaking off.

Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom