Evskij’ & Wifeskij’ week long jaunt to Eifel…

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New Year, means new beginnings, new plans and more new jaunts to fulfill a travellers wondering eye. Mid May can’t come sooner…

Diggs have been booked for 6 nights in Cochem of all places, certain Yorkshireman been singing praise on here and beyond, plus wife’s wondering eye, kept seeing some cracking images online, so she said let’s do it.
Having lived in Germany in the early 2000 to 2003, I have been to the area a handful of times, but never in anger, more of a transit whilst staring out the window of a train. Our last visit together was in 2014 when we drove to Italy. So looking forward to this trip.

We (very likely) will be taking overnight StenaLine crossing from Harwich to Hoek van Holland, and utilising some of the routes traveled by @grantmac and @Wapping last year, before the unfortunate event, that caused Wapping to sit out the summer and most of the autumn out the saddle of his awesome steeds. Here is hoping no such event would ruin our jaunt, seeing as I’ll be back on the continent some three weeks later with the lads.

The return jaunt might be via motorways, halfway through the day, in order to catch a channel train, that would see us arrive at Folkestone around 7pm. Meaning we would be back home at around 9pm.

Haven’t made up my mind yet, if I will do back roads out of Cochem toward Luxembourg and into Belgium, then hack it towards Calais on motorways. Or, would I ride towards Bouillon and Ardennes and then ride via motorways, across northern France. Might even do motorways all the way from Cochem, seeing as three weeks later, I’ll be back in Bouillon with the boys.

I’ve recently taken up the lifetime offer that MyRoute App have been running throughout December at a knockdown cost.
Having been poking about the app on my iPad over the past couple of days, I have discovered a tab called Library. Tapping it, it showed thousands or routes across the world, created by MRA members and open to all members. Zooming over the Benelux and Eifel area, showed me some very interesting route options. Centering over Cochem, showed routes that either originate, traverse or blow by this town a short distance away. A tap of a “Download” tab, saved them for my use. No sweat was broken as far as planing is concerned, just minor tweaking is required to Start and Finish waypoints.
With access to other users from this forum, I have even greater options for day jaunts in every direction from the “hub of the wheel” that is Cochem.

Next thing on the list, is to ask Google for “10 things to do/see in Eifel” some ideas are already available on this forum and build a some sort of itinerary. Wife has zero interest in anything to do with WWII. So no concentration camps or such thing would be visited, unless it involves pulling up at the side of the road having a good look at it and snapping a photo, for the purposes of a ride report and to say that “we’ve seen it”

Some time soon I need to book a major bike (valve) service, new drivetrain set, and a pair of boots in the coming months.
Then there is a need for swapping over the decat headers for OEM ones ( I will do this myself), as I dare not venture into Germany with a full decat screamer that is a KTM 1290 SAS.if I do not do this, I will likely to be asking for it to be impounded, and be slapped with a hefty fine, not least that it might make it for a more relaxing riding holiday.

Even though I did ask Google for average weather in Eifel throughout month of May, nothing gives a better answer than those who have been there a number of times in the second half of May.
What temps, and type of weather can one expect?
I would be checking the forecast, starting with two weeks ahead of time, to see how and what we would need to pack.

Roll on May… as months do go by, I will add to this thread its any relevant information or updates.

I hope you have a great trip.

Late May planned for our group this year, we are basing ourselves in Modorf Les Bains then returning via Kaiserslautern, Burg Rheuland and Ghent.

Have a good trip and pray for some sunshine.

I hope you have a great trip.

Late May planned for our group this year, we are basing ourselves in Modorf Les Bains then returning via Kaiserslautern, Burg Rheuland and Ghent.

Have a good trip and pray for some sunshine.
Fingers crossed we would not encounter some late to the party blizzard or tennis ball sized hale... I recall such event in April of 2001 (if I memory serves me right), when living in Cologne. The amount of Vehicles that got damaged was unbelievable, especially as I have never seen such a phenomenon to occur, just like that. I am sure somebody must've got hurt in the process...

whatever routes you take, visit this viewpoint over the Mosel and vineyards to Piesport https://maps.app.goo.gl/rXmMzhqVQkjmKq2D9

Easy to include if heading to Luxembourg or a day trip to the lovely Trier.

When you take the picture, be sure to dump a motorcycle right in the foreground. Bods can’t have enough pictures of motorbikes. Even better, two.

IMG_4794.png

whatever routes you take, visit this viewpoint over the Mosel and vineyards to Piesport https://maps.app.goo.gl/rXmMzhqVQkjmKq2D9

Easy to include if heading to Luxembourg or a day trip to the lovely Trier.
I do have it saved in my Google maps, having seen your recommendation elsewhere on the forum. Thank you for reminding me again. Wife will love it! She's a bit of a sucker for a vineyard, as can be see on these occasions...

Alsace 2014
IMG_3199.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

Champagne Region 2017
IMG_4917.jpeg

IMG_4921.JPG

1) Good work. Cochem is lovely, a terrific base for a wonderful area. I reckon you'll have a ball and pick up some Brownie points along the way.

2) Aren't all photographs enhanced by the addition of a motorcycle or two (or 3 or 4)?

When in the Cochem area, look out for a R1200RS being ridden by a very tall rider (Even taller than you EV :cool: )
Do not engage in a spirited ride , as Thomas is an ex German road race champion.

He's a very nice chap who runs a campsite with his Kiwi wife Joanne about 20 k's away in Winningen, but can ride the wheels off most bikes

Cochem May 2022
The weather was pretty decent too. Stopped overnight, beside the river.

Marburg and Rothenburg were our favourites, each about 2 hrs away.IMG_3303.jpegIMG_3301.jpeg

New Year, means new beginnings, new plans and more new jaunts to fulfill a travellers wondering eye. Mid May can’t come sooner…

Diggs have been booked for 6 nights in Cochem of all places, certain Yorkshireman been singing praise on here and beyond, plus wife’s wondering eye, kept seeing some cracking images online, so she said let’s do it.
Having lived in Germany in the early 2000 to 2003, I have been to the area a handful of times, but never in anger, more of a transit whilst staring out the window of a train. Our last visit together was in 2014 when we drove to Italy. So looking forward to this trip.

We (very likely) will be taking overnight StenaLine crossing from Harwich to Hoek van Holland, and utilising some of the routes traveled by @grantmac and @Wapping last year, before the unfortunate event, that caused Wapping to sit out the summer and most of the autumn out the saddle of his awesome steeds. Here is hoping no such event would ruin our jaunt, seeing as I’ll be back on the continent some three weeks later with the lads.

The return jaunt might be via motorways, halfway through the day, in order to catch a channel train, that would see us arrive at Folkestone around 7pm. Meaning we would be back home at around 9pm.

Haven’t made up my mind yet, if I will do back roads out of Cochem toward Luxembourg and into Belgium, then hack it towards Calais on motorways. Or, would I ride towards Bouillon and Ardennes and then ride via motorways, across northern France. Might even do motorways all the way from Cochem, seeing as three weeks later, I’ll be back in Bouillon with the boys.

I’ve recently taken up the lifetime offer that MyRoute App have been running throughout December at a knockdown cost.
Having been poking about the app on my iPad over the past couple of days, I have discovered a tab called Library. Tapping it, it showed thousands or routes across the world, created by MRA members and open to all members. Zooming over the Benelux and Eifel area, showed me some very interesting route options. Centering over Cochem, showed routes that either originate, traverse or blow by this town a short distance away. A tap of a “Download” tab, saved them for my use. No sweat was broken as far as planing is concerned, just minor tweaking is required to Start and Finish waypoints.
With access to other users from this forum, I have even greater options for day jaunts in every direction from the “hub of the wheel” that is Cochem.

Next thing on the list, is to ask Google for “10 things to do/see in Eifel” some ideas are already available on this forum and build a some sort of itinerary. Wife has zero interest in anything to do with WWII. So no concentration camps or such thing would be visited, unless it involves pulling up at the side of the road having a good look at it and snapping a photo, for the purposes of a ride report and to say that “we’ve seen it”

Some time soon I need to book a major bike (valve) service, new drivetrain set, and a pair of boots in the coming months.
Then there is a need for swapping over the decat headers for OEM ones ( I will do this myself), as I dare not venture into Germany with a full decat screamer that is a KTM 1290 SAS.if I do not do this, I will likely to be asking for it to be impounded, and be slapped with a hefty fine, not least that it might make it for a more relaxing riding holiday.

Even though I did ask Google for average weather in Eifel throughout month of May, nothing gives a better answer than those who have been there a number of times in the second half of May.
What temps, and type of weather can one expect?
I would be checking the forecast, starting with two weeks ahead of time, to see how and what we would need to pack.

Roll on May… as months do go by, I will add to this thread its any relevant information or updates.
Glad I could be of assistance 😌 And Piesport is very nice.
20220922_120923.jpg20220922_120737.jpg

Some of the roads west of Cochem into the Eifel are nice. Can recommend a day trip north East to the hilltop old fortress village of Kronenburg and a coffee / lunch stop at the castle hotel and a walk up to the ruins. Then head south to Spangdahlem (biggest US air base in Germany) and then east back to Cochem. Some great riding in this part of the Eifel. Weather is always difficult but we always head to the Eifel in May because of the 2 public holidays and have only once been caught a bit short with rain.

When in the Cochem area, look out for a R1200RS being ridden by a very tall rider (Even taller than you EV :cool: )
Do not engage in a spirited ride , as Thomas is an ex German road race champion.

He's a very nice chap who runs a campsite with his Kiwi wife Joanne about 20 k's away in Winningen, but can ride the wheels off most bikes
Was reading in anticipation of said Thomas being and ex German road policing unit. Phew, and relax...

Thanks to a combination of Help from Wapping and Grantmac as well as the MRA Library. I have plenty of routes to chose from for day jaunts, as well as some to tweak or even stitch together for Inbound and Outbound jaunts.

PS what is shown bellow, is just what would fit in this screenshot, routes ranging from just under 3 hours all the way to near 15 hours...

Image 01-01-2024 at 17.55.jpg

I have plenty of routes to chose from for day jaunts, as well as some to tweak or even stitch together for Inbound and Outbound jaunts.
A simple system, that requires just about zero planning is to drive up the Mosel and hang a right over to the Rhine. When you get there, ride in either direction and take a turning back towards the Mosel.

You must take an evening Party Boat, or take one all the way to the Deutsches Eck at Koblenz and back for a relaxing day, especially if the weather is a bit crap.

If you like Pinot Noir, (known as Spätburgunder), head up to the Ahr vally (Ahrtal). Only a small wine region of about 25kms along the Ahr river.

Back
Top Bottom