Explorer is selling well!!

Yes but who really gives a flying fuck what’s the best selling adventure bike ?
You seem to have to justify to all and sundry on a daily basis that the GS is the best bike.
Just enjoy the bloody thing .You paid for it with your money. Others chose differently. It’s just a fucking bike,not a two-wheeled epiphany!

Although this will be difficult to comprehend, many of us only have one bike, so the choice is more important. Peoples’ opinions about their favourite bike is bread and butter material on a bike forum, especially a BMW fanzine site. Or “le bread and butter” in tax-dodging Guernésiais, I guess.

Although this will be difficult to comprehend, many of us only have one bike, so the choice is more important. Peoples’ opinions about their favourite bike is bread and butter material on a bike forum, especially a BMW fanzine site. Or “le bread and butter” in tax-dodging Guernésiais, I guess.

Engineer has more than one bike . Your point is ?

Arsey is having anger issues methinks.

This thread is about the Triumph Explorer and how well it is/was selling - the inevitable comparisons with the GS were being made, I just added in my experience of the GS - it is the best seller because it’s a bloody good all round bike, that simple really. It won’t suit everyone because not everyone is the same - so what???

Arsey is having anger issues methinks.

This thread is about the Triumph Explorer and how well it is/was selling - the inevitable comparisons with the GS were being made, I just added in my experience of the GS - it is the best seller because it’s a bloody good all round bike, that simple really. It won’t suit everyone because not everyone is the same - so what???

No anger issues here,just ‘change the stuck record issues’ !
It’s quite plain to all and sundry that you will blindly replace your beloved GS with another.Other people have imagination and will buy a different model and not just return to the same boring bike every 3 years,just before the warranty expires 🤪

No anger issues here,just ‘change the stuck record issues’ !
It’s quite plain to all and sundry that you will blindly replace your beloved GS with another.Other people have imagination and will buy a different model and not just return to the same boring bike every 3 years,just before the warranty expires ��

All the other bikes that could be considered have been - the explorer being one of them, but it would be silly to buy something that did not come up to scratch just to be different. My Thruxton R is the fun bike, the GS is the workhorse. I will have another fun bike at some point to, maybe a Panigale V4, or maybe a Fireblade but will always have a GS too unless one of the other manufacturers comes up with something that ticks all my boxes for a workhorse, so far they haven’t.

My opinion FWIW
I had a good look around the new explorer as Andy had one out on test and its a nice enough bike but..,,

Triumph claim to have shed loads of weight from it but its still bloody heavy and heavier than the GS

Loads of toys on the demo he had so its very well appointed but its the same sort of money as the GS which makes it a less viable alternative ( or at least it would for me)

If Triumph really want to out sell BMW they need a better bike than the GS ( which i dont think the triumph is) and / or it needs to be quite a bit cheaper to tempt people to defect

Tiger 1200 XCA starting at £16950 weighs 242 KG dry That's half an elephant or the weight of oil water and petrol so add another 30-40KG

BMW R1200GS TE £15625 weighs 244 fueled oiled and ready to go Less BHP mind you but over a grand cheaper

I hate so very much to agree with Engineer on this but until someone other than KTM come up with something in price and spec ( lets forget the quality for a moment) BMW will continue to reign

All the other bikes that could be considered have been - the explorer being one of them, but it would be silly to buy something that did not come up to scratch just to be different. My Thruxton R is the fun bike, the GS is the workhorse. I will have another fun bike at some point to, maybe a Panigale V4, or maybe a Fireblade but will always have a GS too unless one of the other manufacturers comes up with something that ticks all my boxes for a workhorse, so far they haven’t.

Fairy snuff!

I don’t think so, it’s been a best seller for 12 years - adventure bikes have been the fashion for some years but none of the other manufacturers have been able to top the GS sales as yet.

As I said 'Lemming syndrome'..... You can argue all you like that the GS is a better bike than the Explorer, and the dealer back up is better. For some it will be for others it won't. What you can't argue with is the build quality of the Explorer is far superior than the GS.

As I said 'Lemming syndrome'..... You can argue all you like that the GS is a better bike than the Explorer, and the dealer back up is better. For some it will be for others it won't. What you can't argue with is the build quality of the Explorer is far superior than the GS.

It is true that Triumph have upped their game with their finish recently, but they desperately needed to. They had a lot of bad press on forums for their poor finish and the failure of their Warranty Dept to fulfill their obligations on the flimsiest of excuses such as demanding proof that the bike was washed every time it was used and only with recommended Triumph cleaning products. This caused a lot of negative discussion on websites forcing Triumph to finally face up to the issue.

Do you have evidence that it is now superior to the GS in finish or is this your subjective opinion?

It is true that Triumph have upped their game with their finish recently, but they desperately needed to. They had a lot of bad press on forums for their poor finish and the failure of their Warranty Dept to fulfill their obligations on the flimsiest of excuses such as demanding proof that the bike was washed every time it was used and only with recommended Triumph cleaning products. This caused a lot of negative discussion on websites forcing Triumph to finally face up to the issue.

Do you have evidence that it is now superior to the GS in finish or is this your subjective opinion?

Having owned two Explorers Two Stelvio's and numerous GS's, its my personal experience. Having said that you only have to look at the bike to see the finish is better on the Explorer than on the GS. The Stelvio is a bit like the GS, you really have to keep on top of it to prevent any corrosion. My experience with the Explorer is, rinse it off in the winter after riding, give it a good clean in the spring. Comes up like new.

Pal of mine had a 2012 Explorer, can't remember the mileage but it was ridden almost every day till 2017. There was some minor corrosion but I would have said more than acceptable, you really had to look for it.

You can't dismiss arguments out of hand like that. It doesn't add to your argument.

Neither can you possibly assure that the build quality of the new 1200 Tiger is "better' or "worse" than the GS because it hasn't been on the market anywhere near long enough to make that judgement without it being pure conjecture and bias. There isn't a single Tiger 1200 that is older than 5 months old at the very most. The majority of parts are made in Thailand and assembled in the UK. And it's painted in the UK.

Taking up the point of price; I also looked at the Tiger, I nearly went for it too, as I have said. For me, I quite like that "marmite" engine configuration. I also quite liked the tripple too but as I also said, the Tiger just looks exactly like every other "bandwagon" adventure bike developed since, and many would be hard pushed to tell a Tiger from many other "adventure" machines on the market today, adventure machines which many have yet to earn that nomenclature. The GS engine (and name) has been in use and developement for about 50 years or so, and is still the choice of many adventurers and travellers. That may seem ethereal to some, but Triumph trades on its heritage quite considerably also. It just doesn't have any in the adventure market. Had the price been 3-4K lower, I would most likely have gone for it but I ended up putting my trust in proven reliability and robustness. It helped that for me the engine configuration is on the right side of the marmite scale and I can understand that people might not be.

Again, yet another poster making unsubstantiated claims which have no basis in fact. You may be proved right (Not saying you aren'r) but you can't say that at this stage with any degree of certainlty.

As the original poster (cannot believe this thread is still going after 8 years!) and having owned many BMWs and a fair few Triumphs the answer as to which is the best is simple - it's the KTM :D

As the original poster (cannot believe this thread is still going after 8 years!) and having owned many BMWs and a fair few Triumphs the answer as to which is the best is simple - it's the KTM :D

I know of one Arsey (hole:D) who might even agree with you even though he's getting rid of his so it can't be that good.;)

I know of one Arsey (hole:D) who might even agree with you even though he's getting rid of his so it can't be that good.;)

He now says the Honda is the best. Until he gets bored of it, then it’ll be shite. :D

He now says the Honda is the best. Until he gets bored of it, then it’ll be shite.

Ha ha.

The last AT was good.Shouldn’t have got rid to change for the 1290,though it had a few niggles.
But the ATAS has all those niggles banished and more-the auto blipper on the DCT box is utter genius and practically banishes the need to use front brake .

It’s a stunning bike and it’ll be a keeper.Definition below.

1a346fd75f26a81a430de26b8b4424c4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom