fd oil

malcolmkaty

Reaction score
Hi all
just drained my fd and about 230ml came out whats the amount to back in 180ml ,200ml or the same amount that came out
thanks malc

I always put 180ml in never had a problem
Cheers
Eddie

On the twin cam with breather the manual says 180 though I know some people put extra in. I think it used to be more but BMW reduced the amount to reduce pressure build up and leaky seals.
I'm sure some one with more knowledge than me will be along to explain exactly why shortly

I believe the current official number is 180ml. Some say....that 220ml is OK too, as that used to be the official number. Take your pick - mine's 180ml plus a little bit extra for luck :D

how old is your bike?,my take on this is if its pre 2010 ie no breather 180cc and change it frequently,if it has a breather 200cc and change it frequently.i have had 6 or 7 1200 s and always changed the oil in the fd every 3000 miles overkill yes but never had a fd failure luckey?who knows .

I have a 2011 twin cam. I can see an obvious drain plug for the Fd but not a fill plug. Do I have to remove the wheel to fill it?

yep take the wheel off and at about 3 oclock you will find the fill plug,remember its not a level plug!

On my 2010 TC the fill plug is in the 12 o'clock position.

Mine leaked when the wheel bearing and seal failed but it ran for around 15,000 miles with 220ml and zero leak problems. Mine's an 08 so I don't know if that makes it more or less leak prone.

IMO a little too much oil can't do any harm. BMW originally quoted 200ml but dropped it 10% to 180ml. Going to 220ml is only 10% the other way. The FD isn't noted for longevity in any of its bearings.

Molyslip could be worth adding
Advantages
  • Better lubrication especially when the oil has drained away from the bearings and has not yet fully splashed around.
  • Possibly a more cushioned drive line.
  • Possibly longer bearing life (at least those lubed by the oil.)

Disadvantages
  • Mikeyboy (very much an FD expert) says the symptom of dark oil indicates a pinion bearing is failing and that early sign would be lost with Molyslip.
  • An FD might take 20K miles to fully bed in the gears. Use molyslip too soon and that bedding in gets compromised.

On my 2010 TC the fill plug is in the 12 o'clock position.

i didnt say which hand did i:D,i think you will find thats the abs sensor bit furthur round there is another plug,just looked at my 2013.cant remember now if they changed with year even though i have done it so many times:blast

i thought it was 180ml for a plain refill or 220ml fill if the diffs been stripped open. Just to muddy the waters more ;)

180ml has been the rule for 9 years. Why mess with that? As for more or less causing a failure, you do realize the big bearing is not lubricated by the FD oil, right? The smaller one is, and very very rarely fails.

Jim :cool:

The big bearing used to be a 2rs for some reason, the one on my 2010 GSA is not, it is open to the final drive oil.
Seems to change if abs is fitted.
Non abs first, both for 2010 gsa,
382.png
517.png

I was scratching my head on how to measure out 180ml exactly and pour it from a clean container into the awkwardly placed filler of the FD without polluting the oil or dpilling everywhere . My solution was a visit to the local vet to blag a large syringe. I got one with a fill line of 60ml and with a short length of 6mm clear tubing 3 syringe-fulls were very easy to inject.

The rest of the 1litre bottle of gear oil then went in my gearbox. It's good how BMW allow you to change gearbox and FD oil from 1x1litre bottle of oil. In fact it's so good I suspect the dealers are very annoyed with them.

The big bearing used to be a 2rs for some reason, the one on my 2010 GSA is not, it is open to the final drive oil.
Seems to change if abs is fitted.
Non abs first, both for 2010 gsa,
382.png
517.png

Good catch! I keep forgetting that this forum does not differentiate between a Hexhead and a Camhead.

Jim :cool:

I was scratching my head on how to measure out 180ml exactly and pour it from a clean container into the awkwardly placed filler of the FD without polluting the oil or dpilling everywhere . My solution was a visit to the local vet to blag a large syringe. I got one with a fill line of 60ml and with a short length of 6mm clear tubing 3 syringe-fulls were very easy to inject.

The rest of the 1litre bottle of gear oil then went in my gearbox. It's good how BMW allow you to change gearbox and FD oil from 1x1litre bottle of oil. In fact it's so good I suspect the dealers are very annoyed with them.
Thats exactly what im about to do with mine when my 1ltr bottle of Syntax 75w/140 arrives :thumb

Patzx12 posted a detailed thread about rebuilding a Mk1 final drive (pre 07). He had no untoward issues but he has the kit and heavy duty fixtures to take it apart. The pinion nose bearing (30mm needle roller) was in a very bad way looking like it had not seen enough oil. Later bikes have a 32mm bearing that's said to be more up to the task.

Quite why a bearing in the middle of the case could get so dry is anyone's guess - maybe the oil gets centrifuged away**. Anyhow when my wheel bearing seal failed I decided to have the whole box rebuilt. Mikeyboy did the job and said it was all "ready" and certainly not overdue for opening up. £350 well spent in my opinion.

** If that's true, running the oil level a bit high wont do any harm. BMW after all are only bothered about warranty costs. If using less oil means less hassle for them (in breather blow-by) they'll do it. Folks with older bikes can worry about the downstream effects.

Mine currently has Syntax 75w/140 but some molyslip is also going in to really gloop it up.

Back
Top Bottom