Front ESA removal

waggy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 2013 GSA Twincam and I am in the process of trying to remove the front ESA unit. I have disconnected the 2 cables from under the tank. Removed top nut, washer, rubber bung and the metal sleeve. Jacked the front of the bike up and removed the bottom bolt and released the anti twist plate but I am unable to get the shock out. I have changed the ESA settings to SOFT and no helmets but this has not made and difference.

Would a set of coil spring compressors help or is there another way?

Thanks

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove the plastic guard over the alternator belt to give the final smidgen of clearance, then get a good grip of the thing and pull it forwards and downwards. They are usually in there pretty tightly with zero clearance.

That helped a bit but as I have the Adventure the crash bars are allowing the cover to come off completely. I am going to replace the belt so I have to remove it at some point.

Looks like it is a bigger job than I expected

I've been there three weeks ago after my front ESA shock starts leaking oil. Mine is a 2010 GSA TC.

If i understood you just manage to separate the shock from the bike. Now to get it out:
- you will need to take the bolts under the heads to release the lower crashbars (mines were extremely tight and i use a hammer, heatgun and an extension to release those - also dented my hand in the process...)
- then the two bolts that hold those to the upper bars
- and then the four bolts that hold the upper bars (i didn't separate more than this)
- now belt cover will get out
- shock must go under has much has you can
- finally just pull from the top to the front of the bike

Here you can see without the shock, with upper bar (kind of) in position.

The plastic belt cover can be flexed to get it out once all retaining screws are removed.

Remove the plastic guard over the alternator belt to give the final smidgen of clearance, then get a good grip of the thing and pull it forwards and downwards. They are usually in there pretty tightly with zero clearance.

I've been there three weeks ago after my front ESA shock starts leaking oil. Mine is a 2010 GSA TC.

If i understood you just manage to separate the shock from the bike. Now to get it out:
- you will need to take the bolts under the heads to release the lower crashbars (mines were extremely tight and i use a hammer, heatgun and an extension to release those - also dented my hand in the process...)
- and then the four bolts that hold the upper bars (i didn't separate more than this)

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Paul,

Really appreciate your write up as I have now managed to remove the belt cover and get the old shock out and fit the new one.

Regards Dave

Back
Top Bottom