front final drive gaitor open

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whilst polishing my awesome steed today, I noticed the front final drive gaitor had a gap between it and the final drive. The rubber had come unclipped at the top part from the fd. I pushed it back in and it was an easy clip in. Anyone know if there is a a missing cable tie? (like the rear on the older final drives have). Or is it just an easily dislodged part (not seen any posts re this and I ASSUME ITS NOT easily dislodged otherwise it would have been spouted already). Lets assume water has got in, the drain plug recall, is this a one way outlet for water ingress? The only time this may have happened (I haven't needed to service it yet) is when it went to BMW for recall work. Any input welcome

Hi

Yes there is a cable tie on the FRONT part of the gaitor..
In other words the side nearest to the engine..
A bit fiddly to replace but its quite doable by the average owner..

Simon

Thanks for the answer. I looked again yesterday and I should probably have described it as the gearbox gaitor, and the rear part is just a squishy clip in with a tab. Doesn't seem possible to cable tie it as it goes in internally. Possibly like you say in front, but maybe BMW forgot to pop it in, maybe I was a bit over zealous in using a jet wash...It hasn't unclipped today after commuting so its either BMW or the jet wash..I'll have it inspected soon

an update, looked closer again today and the top of the gaitor was still tabbed in, but underneath round the awkward side it appears/feels unseated. I tried resitting it but space is tight, no ramp and certainly not able to do a FD removal in winter on the pavement...when theres a warranty.. I have tried calling park lane t get them to have a look, as it certainly isn't me that's not popped the whole thing in incorrectly. I suspect that the gaitor should be seated on the f/d housing before being set up to meet the forward half where its got a zip tie. Lets see what they come up with when they return my call (if)

an update, looked closer again today and the top of the gaitor was still tabbed in, but underneath round the awkward side it appears/feels unseated. I tried resitting it but space is tight, no ramp and certainly not able to do a FD removal in winter on the pavement...when theres a warranty.. I have tried calling park lane t get them to have a look, as it certainly isn't me that's not popped the whole thing in incorrectly. I suspect that the gaitor should be seated on the f/d housing before being set up to meet the forward half where its got a zip tie. Lets see what they come up with when they return my call (if)
As mentioned mine had popped off and just needs a cable tie

As mentioned mine had popped off and just needs a cable tie
Well I managed to get a cable tie threaded, but its the end of the gaitor that goes inside the FD, so no real option to cable tie it as nothing to tighten it against. Put it on anyway. I still suspect the plastic hooks need to be seated inside the FD before it slides over the joint and then meets the front part of the bike, where there is indeed a cable tie. Anyhow, managed to get bike dropped off at Park Lane today and found out that the FD drive recall was indeed for the rear 2 way purge valve. BUT, they also replaced the entire FD at the time. So I blame them for not seating it correctly :) and have insisted they inspect it again. Here is the point though, with the recent news that FD's are being replaced at 60k or something ( https://www.r1200gs.info/threads/new-shaft-drive-not.55659/) It may be the case here.

Oh well, it seems BMW have said the rubber clips on the gaitor are worn and the gaitor will be replaced. But it's not covered under warranty. Oh well at least they'll inpect and lube it and it should then be good!

Oh well, it seems BMW have said the rubber clips on the gaitor are worn and the gaitor will be replaced. But it's not covered under warranty. Oh well at least they'll inpect and lube it and it should then be good!
Check your warranty booklet .I had the front telelever gator replaced under warranty ( the bolt which the front wishbone attaches to the suspension)

It’s not the final drive gaiter. It’s the swingarm/gearbox gaiter, the clue is where it’s located - the final drive gaiter is attached to the final drive/ and swingarm

Back
Top Bottom