Heated gloves or muffs?

My brain is not capable of memorising the switches - I need to be able to see them.

I know, I know .... how about at night?........

.......99% of my night riding is done under urban street lighting.

You'll die, looking at your switches.

Take care.

Keis gear is good too - I have the waistcoat and may consider the heated insoles if winter arrives - had to turn off the heaters today as it was 14C here in balmy Glos. so may not need them until summer time

they look good Fanny - I like Tucano stuff

A mate has Bagster heated muffs and likes them on his commute from Reading to that London - although he had to get a new controller switch eventually as the OE packed up. Generic spares on Ebay apparently.

I've just been looking for the cheapest place I can get another set of muffs and found these :)

£120 is a good chunk less than the 140 you mentioned for a pair of gloves Bryn, and these babies might give you the best of both worlds....heated muffs :D

That's a good idea :thumb Not sure whether Heated muffs are a bit overkill with heated grips , but it would solve the worry about not seeing the controls :D One of the reasons I was thinking about heated gloves was so I could get rechargeable ones, , I don't want to mess around with hard wiring

I now have Barkbuster Blizzards fitted to my 1200GSA and love them.

Do they fit straight over the hand guards? they look like a compromise , not quite a muff.... but it sounds like they work .....

Tucano R319 worked well on my S10 - now using them on the FJ09. As said above, you can wear summer gloves and they stay dry. All switchgear fits inside the muffs and I find it easy to take my hand out to flick my visor open, operate a satnav, take toll tickets etc.

if I'm going for the muffs its going to be these or the Bark buster Blizzards I think :thumb

Again thanks for all the suggestions folks :beerjug:

Re the heated gloves.

The hard wiring is not a problem, really.

A fused (7.5 or 10 Amps will do) flying lead off the battery, an Optimate one will do. Plug yourself in and the job's done.

Re the heated gloves.

The hard wiring is not a problem, really.

A fused (7.5 or 10 Amps will do) flying lead off the battery, an Optimate one will do. Plug yourself in and the job's done.

Suppose I could use the optimate lead......just the thought of being connected by cables is a bit offputting :thumb2

Hi Bryn, I have the Bark Busters on my 1200, and yes, they fit over the standard handguards. I bought them for Denise's 650, but they don't fit over hers. Prior to that we both used cheap Oxford muffs, which really do make a difference to how cold your hand get. I think it is more to do with taking away the wind chill factor than the actual fit of the muff (ooh err) as we both prefer to have the hand hole wide open. The Bark busters were for Denise because she struggled to find the start button with the muffs on, I find them slightly less effective than muffs, but better than nothing. Unfortunately, I cant seem to find a photo to illustrate the difference.
Mark

Hi Bryn, I have the Bark Busters on my 1200, and yes, they fit over the standard handguards. I bought them for Denise's 650, but they don't fit over hers. Prior to that we both used cheap Oxford muffs, which really do make a difference to how cold your hand get. I think it is more to do with taking away the wind chill factor than the actual fit of the muff (ooh err) as we both prefer to have the hand hole wide open. The Bark busters were for Denise because she struggled to find the start button with the muffs on, I find them slightly less effective than muffs, but better than nothing. Unfortunately, I cant seem to find a photo to illustrate the difference.
Mark

Thanks for the info Mark.....The standard hand guards should make a difference ( and probably do) but I'm bordering on having Reynards ( so a doc told me years ago) so the tips of my fingers get really cold pretty quickly.... hence the need for me to make some changes if I'm going to use the bike for commuting all year round :beerjug:

I replaced the standard handguards with Barkbuster ones to get the stronger metal guard and some orange plastics (looks good on the olive GSA!) The Blizzards fit easily over the top of them, and I'll try to get some pics of them fitted when it gets lighter in a bit.

In my experience the benefit comes from smoothing the airflow round your hands and not allowing it to hit the back of your hand and fingers, not necessarily from enveloping your wrist and lower arm. The Tucano muffs certainly protected my hands but I don't think that the Blizzards are any less effective, yet are less cumbersome and look better, imho.

I replaced the standard handguards with Barkbuster ones to get the stronger metal guard and some orange plastics (looks good on the olive GSA!) The Blizzards fit easily over the top of them, and I'll try to get some pics of them fitted when it gets lighter in a bit.

In my experience the benefit comes from smoothing the airflow round your hands and not allowing it to hit the back of your hand and fingers, not necessarily from enveloping your wrist and lower arm. The Tucano muffs certainly protected my hands but I don't think that the Blizzards are any less effective, yet are less cumbersome and look better, imho.

Those hand guards do look good .... A photo of the Blizzards would be appreciated :thumb

I am using the same pair of Tucano muffs bought on her from ValH iirc anyway they are great but since I updated the F800GS to a 2015 they have an annoying habit of hitting the kill switch when doing slow tight turns.

Here are some pics. Although the Blizzards come with a fairly comprehensive fitting kit, the supplied bolt was too small in diameter, hence I had to use the original one from the bike with a washer on the outside of the Blizzards. You could probably do without the washer, but I wanted to spread the load on the eyelet and surrounding fabric. With the Blizzards you can also see most of the controls.

Yes, the bike needs cleaning and the drive needs weeding...:augie

Here are some pics. Although the Blizzards come with a fairly comprehensive fitting kit, the supplied bolt was too small in diameter, hence I had to use the original one from the bike with a washer on the outside of the Blizzards. You could probably do without the washer, but I wanted to spread the load on the eyelet and surrounding fabric. With the Blizzards you can also see most of the controls.

Yes, the bike needs cleaning and the drive needs weeding...:augie

Thanks for the pics... they look pretty good .....:beerjug:

Here you go - fitted to OE guards. As Max has done, I've also used the OE bar bolt and put a washer on to spread the load a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 170
Part of he reason that good muffs keep your hands so warm is the fact that they stay completely dry, the Blizzards won't achieve that but clearly will be way better than just brush guards alone. The S10 guards actually seem to be quite effective and I haven't bothered to fit my muffs yet this winter as it has been so mild.

Here you go - fitted to OE guards. As Max has done, I've also used the OE bar bolt and put a washer on to spread the load a bit.

Thanks for that :thumb2

Part of he reason that good muffs keep your hands so warm is the fact that they stay completely dry, the Blizzards won't achieve that but clearly will be way better than just brush guards alone. The S10 guards actually seem to be quite effective and I haven't bothered to fit my muffs yet this winter as it has been so mild.

I know what you mean, but still got freezing cold fingers when the ambient temperature was about 3 degrees a few weeks back, and that was after 25 minutes .....

I've just had a thought, and dug out a pair of Spada waterproof over mitts from the man cave .... IIRC they kept me warm and dry through a Belgian Monsoon a while back.... so I'll give them a go first and see if it solves the problem...... :beerjug:

Update...ordered a pair of Barkbuster Blizzards from The Adventure Bike Shop yesterday..got them today..and they fit over the S10 standard handguards :thumb2

Not had a chance to try them out yet but I'm hopeful they will make a difference :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 109

Back
Top Bottom