help broken exhaust stud!

So Benhams were unwilling/unable(?) to reset it - after trying for an hour they said it would have to wait until after the trip. So Iwent to see Mikeyboy today and before I could drink a cup of tea he'd fixed it! It just needed to be plugged into the GS911 and to have the error code cleared, run in gear on the centre stand and Bob's your uncle. He has a great set up there, he's a good bloke and there are some intersting local lanes on which you can test ride!

So thanks to everyone for the help.

Resurrecting this Just reading this after one of my studs snapped today whilst taking off the exhaust during an overhaul.

Could feel it tight had applied penetrating fluid over few days. Applied heat but no joy. Anyway there is a few mm of the old stud protruding so will do the stick weld method.

One question the other 3 came off paying attention to being careful. Now though I’ve noticed that part of the thread where the manifold clamp covers is partially corroded below where the nut needs to go.

So thinking will try and remove them all and fit new, anyone done this and if so which studs did you go for as I’ve seen these.

Are the studs reverse threaded?

Thanks for thoughts and if anyone has suggestions on which studs to buy please let me know.

Resurrecting this Just reading this after one of my studs snapped today whilst taking off the exhaust during an overhaul.

Could feel it tight had applied penetrating fluid over few days. Applied heat but no joy. Anyway there is a few mm of the old stud protruding so will do the stick weld method.

One question the other 3 came off paying attention to being careful. Now though I’ve noticed that part of the thread where the manifold clamp covers is partially corroded below where the nut needs to go.

So thinking will try and remove them all and fit new, anyone done this and if so which studs did you go for as I’ve seen these.

Are the studs reverse threaded?

Thanks for thoughts and if anyone has suggestions on which studs to buy please let me know.

Further info and pic of the lower corroded thread. Can’t see how to remove this one. Will try the welding technique on the actual broken stud and see if getting it hot will break the rust.

Attachments

• IMG_7038.jpeg
    IMG_7038.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7054.jpeg
    IMG_7054.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom