Himalayan luggage

Giant Loop RTW panniers.
The lightest panniers around, I believe. Fit straight on to Himmie frames and much beloved by American riders.
Very expensive though.

Attachments

• IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 46
Bought these for the Magadan soft luggage.

They fit a treat.

img_5038-png.307719
Bargain too…

Managed to grab a bargain on Facebook Marketplace for a slightly used set of Magadan Mark 2s.

I use the RE pannier frames and the right-hand pannier came a bit close to the exhaust for my liking, so a couple of cheap heat shields from Rhinowalk have been added for reassurance as much as anything.

Panniers secured with Rockstraps.

Decent photos to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have now got around to putting Advebture Spec’s Magadan panniers onto my Himalayan.

They look OK.

IMG_4169.jpeg

IMG_4170.jpeg

Because the little bike is quite narrow across its rear, the Velcro straps that link the two bags together are a bit too long but the Velcro can be pulled across to shorten them.

The rearmost link strap, I ran beneath the rear top-box plate. The forward strap sits on the pillion seat but I think it’s better run beneath it.

IMG_4179.jpeg

IMG_4180.jpeg

I think there will be enough clearance between the end of the exhaust and the off-side pannier to prevent it burning or getting too hot.

IMG_4182.jpeg

I now only need to work out how to hold the bags onto the frames at the bottom, to stop them maybe flapping about in the awesome slip stream. I did buy some cinch straps with the bags, which might well work pretty well.

IMG_4183.jpeg

I’ll fiddle around with that, when I have fitted the new header pipe and end can.

Now that I have the inner bags, I’ll probably just leave the Magadans on, just pulling the inner bags out, when not not in use. I don’t think the added wind resistance will make much difference.

What I have though bought is two security cables to wrap around the bags, when they have kit it them. That’s about as much as you can hope for.

Last edited:
I stuffed the bags out with some Rukka motorcycling suit trousers, just to see what they looked like.

he bags need a bit of pulling around a bit but, they are near enough OK.

IMG_4185.jpeg

Having now used Adventure Spec’s Magadan throw over bags, I am very pleased with them.

I was riding through some heavy rain today, but not a came in. I had though taken out some ‘insurance’ by packing my kit into Blacks’ very good rucksack liners.

1713631785874.png

Just toured in Ireland with my new-to-me Himalayan 411. I used the 30L Lomo large bags as shown on the 350 earlier in the thread. £79.99 from Lomo on Amazon.

Worked well and were dry (not very well-tested as we had less than 2 hours rain in a week in Ireland. Is that a record?).

I chickened out and made 45mm spacers with longer bolts to put the offside RE soft pannier frame outside the exhaust, to avoid melting accidents.

Sainsbury's smaller orange "bags for life" makes excellent inner liners, so you can leave the bags on the bike.

In dodgier areas, I removed the Lomo bags. They were secured with the OE lower strap (the upper one is above the upper rail) and 3 short luggage straps from Amazon each side. 3-4 minutes to remount the Lomos.

I also had a top box for more security and space.

The bike came with the tank sidebars; I put a few things in them but I'm not sure how useful they really are, and I removed these too sometimes as they are unsecured.

Just toured in Ireland with my new-to-me Himalayan 411. I used the 30L Lomo large bags as shown on the 350 earlier in the thread. £79.99 from Lomo on Amazon.

Worked well and were dry (not very well-tested as we had less than 2 hours rain in a week in Ireland. Is that a record?).

I chickened out and made 45mm spacers with longer bolts to put the offside RE soft pannier frame outside the exhaust, to avoid melting accidents.

Sainsbury's smaller orange "bags for life" makes excellent inner liners, so you can leave the bags on the bike.

In dodgier areas, I removed the Lomo bags. They were secured with the OE lower strap (the upper one is above the upper rail) and 3 short luggage straps from Amazon each side. 3-4 minutes to remount the Lomos.

The bike came with the tank sidebars; I put a few things in them but I'm not sure how useful they really are, and I removed these too sometimes as they are unsecured.

I use Via Terra Trail Packs, specifically designed for the Himalayan, and available for both styles of tank bars.

Waterproof, tough, and capacious. Recommended.

There is also the Bagtecs version available here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning on getting the Lomo bags too. Undecided between medium and large but think large will be fine, having read your post.

Have ordered these frames, £71 delivered from India

cf4a0c6e9e518e970cc84a22c3cd4c6c.png

Edited to add

Just ordered the large panniers from Amazon.

Was slightly cheaper for me as £66.66 with no VAT and free postage.

Might be cheaper for you guys who are UK-based direct from Lomo as £72 plus p and p.

Amazon is £79.99 so if p and p is less than £7.99 buy direct from Lomo

Last edited:
The MSC panniers are locally made and available for R2499... which is £23.89! I think shipping and import duties might add a few quid though?

I did wonder.But the thread is about a bike tour, not a pannier hunt
I think I've crossed a few threads as this is about luggage and I thought I was in the one about the bike tour?

Never mind - I see this was moved here :blast

Last edited:
Planning on getting the Lomo bags too. Undecided between medium and large but think large will be fine, having read your post.

Have ordered these frames, £71 delivered from India

cf4a0c6e9e518e970cc84a22c3cd4c6c.png

Edited to add

Just ordered the large panniers from Amazon.

Was slightly cheaper for me as £66.66 with no VAT and free postage.

Might be cheaper for you guys who are UK-based direct from Lomo as £72 plus p and p.

Amazon is £79.99 so if p and p is less than £7.99 buy direct from Lomo
If they’re as much fun to fit as the OEM ones be ready to invent some new swear words. 😂

Back
Top Bottom