Honda CT125 Hunter Cub

Due to the CT’s narrow wheel well the commercial Tubliss and Outex conversions just do not work. The protruding spoke nipples also make the latter, and the commonly used 3M tape/silicone sealant, non starters. I have used sealants such as Ultraseal with success on my bigger bikes and I may add this to the CT as well

Looks cool

97ad732a09b3d7d2b7c57d86d4e803d0.jpg

PS : One of these just popped up for sale in Sunny NI (2021 , 1500 miles , asking £3900 ..... with it's extras) - just FYI , not many about ..... but you know that ! Gumtree advert

Looking good Micky (y)

Mine’s booked in for its MVSA on Tuesday morning in Southampton.
Assuming all goes well with that, then I should be able to register it and finally get out on some trails!

You really have yours set up nicely Micky and it looks great out in its natural environment!

The local dealer has two on hand, a red 2023 and green 2024, and so far I'm resisting......

Whoa I'd think that scabbard with a rifle in it up on the front would have to make it handle awkward? I guess for infrequent times to ride short distances it'd work.

Well I spent yesterday morning down in Southampton yesterday at the DVSA Test Centre putting the bike through it's MSVA test! What I didn't realise is that you have to stay with the bike and get involved in some of the tests, which was good fun.

What wasn't such fun was seeing just how much utter crap has to be looked at in the "interests" of ensuring the bike is fit to ride in the UK. Well let's be honest most of it is actually pointless European legislation which we continue to adopt post Brexit!

Anyway the end result was that the bike failed on a couple of things which I now need to put right:
  1. It didn't have a speedo in mph. The guy who imported it and sold it to me neglected to mention this, and I didn't do any research to check in advance and took him on his word that it would sail through with no modification needed! My mistake and at least it is relatively easy to fix.
  2. It needs a Power Restriction label that states: The Manufacturer's name, the category of vehicle and the number of teeth on the drive and driven sprockets. Yes you read that correctly - it is clearly a danger on the roads unless it has a label attached to it! :rolleyes:
The good news is that both things are relatively easy to fix and the even better news is that the bloke doing the test was a reasonable gent and has agreed to do a re-test via a video call so I don't have to bring the bike all the way back down once it is sorted. Apparently that is quite rare so I was fortunate in that respect.

So when I got home I contacted Mark at Seven Seas to see how they got their bikes through the MSVA - he is a proper gent and was extremely helpful and has given me contact details of a nice man in Lancashire who can re-programme the speedo for the princely sum of £75, and another guy who can make me the correct label. So fingers crossed I should be sorted in the next couple of weeks.

The other thing I might do is fit an Opimid (as recommended by Micky and others), and I have my name down for one as soon as they arrive in the UK.

And finally - I learnt that my bike makes a noise output of 86dB, which seems remarkably low to me and will be great for trail riding. Thank God I didn't have to get the Harley tested as I reckon it would have melted the tested device!

Will report back when I have finally got the thing registered!

Interesting Toddy .... one of the reasons I imported mine through Seven Seas in the first place :thumby:

Mark is indeed a true gent.

They're still having problems recalibrating the original speedos, so I'm sticking with the Opmid, it's bloody great :thumb

Couple of oil filters arrived today. One for the cupboard, one for the first oil change :thumb2

i-kC6XbfX-M.jpg

Work in progress folks :thumby:

:beerjug:

Interesting Toddy .... one of the reasons I imported mine through Seven Seas in the first place :thumby:

Mark is indeed a true gent.

They're still having problems recalibrating the original speedos, so I'm sticking with the Opmid, it's bloody great :thumb

Indeed, I spoke to the very clever David guy who does all their recalibration programming and apparently the new 2023 model is completely different in terms of both hardware and also the software datasets so the Opimid makes a lot of sense on a 2023 model.

Sadly Mark also mentioned he doesn’t think they will be getting any more CTs in for some considerable time!

Indeed, I spoke to the very clever David guy who does all their recalibration programming and apparently the new 2023 model is completely different in terms of both hardware and also the software datasets so the Opimid makes a lot of sense on a 2023 model.

Sadly Mark also mentioned he doesn’t think they will be getting any more CTs in for some considerable time!
Email from Seven Seas .... they're looking towards obtaining the 2023 speedos for those that bought the 'bike :thumb

Another reason for dealing/buying via Seven Seas .... the absolute tops in my book :thumby:

I think that's a sales ploy from Mark ... he's been telling Peeps for years that maybe no more CT's in the near future :D

Got the Kriega 14 litre solo to fit this weekend, along with a top quality DID 'Gold' chain :thumby:
Did try the RhinoWalk solo pannier, very good quality but the mountings just weren't going to work!

kriega-saddlebag-solo14.jpg

Both are handsome looking bags of sensible size. If you pass the closure flap up through the side of the rack and then fasten it you should have an even more stable and secure mounting. A couple of reusable heavy duty zip ties from the shoulder strap rings to the rack will also add security and allow the bag to be opened without falling off the bike

I threw away the tool box and replaced it with a bit of plastic to prevent the bag swinging inwards towards the wheel

729FAF3B-8CCC-407E-B7FC-48169637D8BA.jpeg

F3214FE0-F0AF-4102-926E-FD8794D44DB5.jpeg

Last edited:
Whilst the original chain was fine ( DID), early reports suggested it might be made of chocolate, so to give the sprockets a good start in life I put a top quality DID Gold chain on.
Not an 'O' or 'X' ring chain .... that would really sap the small amount of power I have :blast .... but a racing spec chain:thumb

i-4CzXJD2-L.jpg

Now that looks better :D
i-hfntSGm-L.jpg

Poser or what :augie

Now to fit the Kriega saddlebag. I'd looked at the RhinoWalk which was great quality and much cheaper, but the mountings just weren't going to work!

Nothing but the best for the Likkle Hunter Cub :thumb

i-Dk9JX2c-L.jpg

The Peli case on the rack made mounting a bit awkward .... but we're now ready for 'the Big One' :thumby:

Those panniers remind me of a pair I made from a couple of ex-army haversacks with hardboard backing. Cheap. and they were fine for a week’s 2up trip around France in the 70s. Obviously times have changed, and for the better.

Exhaust heat shields powder coated ... will look much better on the red 'Cub than the silver things ...

i-4WHPD6z-L.jpg

More pictures when fitted :thumb

Very smart (y)
Look forward to seeing it on its' travels somewhere. There should be a night away somewhere close to a beer source

Back
Top Bottom