Hotel In Eifel - Mettendorf, Germany (near Vianden, Luxembourg)

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just back from a long weekend in the Eifel area of Germany and our usual accommodation was full. We found alternative option in the next village of Mettendorf. Hotel Im Fronhof. https://eifelhotel-fronhof.de/. This is close to the border with Luxemburg and the more popular resort of Vianden. Prices at the Fronhof are reasonable, food and beer excellent and accommodation basic but functional. Bike parking is OK with options right under the accommodation wing off road and reasonably out of sight.
Worth a try if you get stuck around that area.
For those that have experienced this place in the past (pre 2019) may have different views. We too went there in 2015 and it was dreadful! We were the only people there and everything was 1950's, old and very creepy. It has changed hands (2019) and the new owners have really made an effort to shed the old image! Definitely on our Club list of options in the area and as we are here 5 -6 times a year a good address.

Very timely, we are there from Tuesday - Thursday night.

Up until 2018 we always stayed in the wonderful Grand Hotel in Echternach, which has sadly since closed, a great little town, but surprisingly few Hotels.

Was a bit concerned about Mettendorf as nothing other than this Hotel so if the food was crap we would be out of luck!

My guess is you could probably leave your bikes outside with Keys in them in such a small rural German village, but might bang a disc lock on so if a random thief passes by he will help himself to one of my bikermates steeds.

Actually Mettendorf is one of the bigger villages in the area. There's a bakery right opposite the hotel and a pizza restaurant and a kebab joint right next door if you get stuck but we found the food to be really good at the Fronhof. Enjoy. The weather should be superb!...and yes, a disc lock is always worth the effort.

Thank you for the tip, Grant.

I have edited the title of the thread slightly, simply to bring the name of the village in.

Last edited:
Thank you for the tip, Grant.

I have edited the title of the thread slightly, simply to bring tge name of the village in.
Its a good spot, just up the road from Vianden considerably cheaper and the Hotel is very nice.

Large comfy rooms, as well as Hotel restaurant there is a grill place next door that does a variety of food from Schnitzels (of course) to Pizza's, Kebabsa and Burgers, Salads even, if you are that way inclined - and the beer is cheaper than the Hotel and it stays open a lot later than Hotel bar did when we we there last week (mid week0

I also spotted a bus coming back from Vianden late in the evening, so you could probably bus it into Vianden for a night out.

As a base you can ride East into the Eifel, or West into Luxembourg, great roads in every direction.

Back
Top Bottom