If your 1250 is over 4 years old, thoughts?

team duvet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2019 GSA 48,678 miles FSH here........

So.....gone part time and it's my first Monday off, where better to go than "North" up towards Kendal, Scottish Borders back through Kilder (roads) and home via North Yorkshire, all in all 349 miles, so why am I telling you this?

Like some I do get sucked in by newer bikes, both from the mother land and other brands but always come back to the same thing, "Why PX it"? especially after a day like today, just does a job and everything so well (that I want it to do)

Just put her away full of flies, she's been ACF'd from new and cleans up well, offered a good deal last month against a new GSA but as said on here before, "save the money and spend it on trips/holidays"

So 4+ years gang, how's yours going? anybody up to 100,000 yet? or will you be succumbed by the new 1300? or an outgoing "newbie" 1250.

TD.

Id say TD if you've go the money fook it and go for the 1300, lifes too short!!

Im in a similar posistion with a 2019 Gsa with a few more miles than yours but i cant afford one yet. Absolutely love my 1250 though, best bike ive ever had ;)

Do what makes you happy mate, as long as its on two wheels :cool:

SImilar position really. I'm interested in the new 1300 , let's see what it offers but not desperate to swap. Mines a 2018 with just 30000 on the clock, never missed a beat and still scrubs up well with no corrosion so unless the new one feels significantly lighter and nicer to ride (which i doubt) i'll be upgrading my suspension and sticking with what i've got.

Sounds like a cracking day, i was up around the same area today and the weather and roads were stunning.

Cant match any where near you with the mileage but my GSA is coming up to 6 on its next birthday and my GS 1250 will be coming up 4 soon. My experience has been any problems have come out within the first year or so and fixed under warranty and they've both run fine ever since.

Like you, i make sure they have a dose of ACF50 ready for any salty rides but they both polish up as well as any others i've seen around.

I was going to trade them both for a new 1300 but decided i'm perfectly happy with what i've got. Like many i've spent a small fortune on getting them just how i want them and just want to enjoy riding em. The main thing is just do what makes you happy on two wheels, if its a new bike, go for it.

Depreciation is a killer -

over 40K on the clock and the residuals will be on the floor (Damhik)

Your down to private sale then, as the big traders wont touch anything over 40k and ideally you need to have a warranty on the bike if your selling privatly

That way you can transfer it to the new owner

16K new / 4k to the trade in 7 years :(

SImilar position really. I'm interested in the new 1300 , let's see what it offers but not desperate to swap. Mines a 2018 with just 30000 on the clock, never missed a beat and still scrubs up well with no corrosion so unless the new one feels significantly lighter and nicer to ride (which i doubt) i'll be upgrading my suspension and sticking with what i've got.
Just picked up a very nice 68 plate with 32,000 on the clock. Quick test ride home from York to Felixstowe,
235 miles
Very happy with it for a higher mileage bike, highest mileage bike I've ever owned. But got a two year warranty with it so what the hell.
Only had two owners and he's left almost every extra you would want

My 2019 1250 TE has done 21000 miles and spins up really well. It's got Touratech suspenders, and Angrypovic zuast with catless downpipes ..... what more would you want? I have a 1300 on order.

I would say mine is getting better with age. I had a day (250 miles ish) on my mates new PP multi and no way would i swap.

Just been out today on my ‘19 1250GSA for four hours and really couldn’t fault it. No way am I spunking any more cash on another bike anytime soon, hopefully this one will see me into retirement.

Went out on my 21 1250 40th anniversary 23k miles today and love the bike. Now working out do I keep or get a triumph / Honda / motoguzzi or stick with a 1300gs.

Barry

I have a 2018 bike and while I could afford a new one, the thought of handing over my hard earned is akin to setting fire to the difference between what I'd get for mine and the cost of a new spangle laden bike, which lets face it, are not getting any more reliable than older ones. That means I'd likely have to add £14K on top of my own bike so the question is, do I really want to pay £14K for something that for me isn't worth spending that extra £14K? No, that's nuts. I don't subscribe to the "life's too short" BS either. Why? because I'm, not missing out on anything. I've owned more sophisticated and way more powerful machines than any boxer made today, but consider the 1200 and 1250 machines more than adequate. If I wanted a 160bhp KTM or a powerful IL4, I'd buy one.

That and the Yorkshire in me stops me because if it's not broken, it doesn't need renewing. I'm not someone who will never be satisfied with what he has, so I never consider myself to be missing out on anything. I'll run my 1200 into the ground, or at least until it becomes uneconomical to keep on the road. I simply don't understand the fetish some have with buying a new bmw, keeping it 2 to 4 years, doing maybe 8K miles in that time, then chopping it in for a new one. Nuts. Buying on PCP, well I can see the attraction there because you don't pay any more annually than you currently do, or maybe only a little more. That's the only circumstance I could see which might tempt me but then again, I'm not after the next best thing if I like what I have now. Consumerism can become a disease.

Still got my '09 1200 GSA. Got off the hamster wheel of renewing long ago and perfectly happy for it. The old bucket does everything I need; I certainly don't see the need for any more performance and the ever ongoing quest for extra go set against ever shite-ier roads, continually increasing traffic and more and more angry motorists confuses the hell out of me to be honest.

Still, if it floats yer' boat, go for it, yer only here once.

With ICE vehicles being nudged off the roads, at some point in the not so distant future, any new bike that you buy now will be worth naff all when you come to part with it in X years time.

So if I wanted a new machine, I’d go PCP so that I know how much I’m into.

But actually, I really can’t be ar5ed with the new bike hamster wheel.

My 2017 GSA runs well, is set up exactly how I want it, and is more bike than I’ll ever need. Why on earth would I want to buy new, I see no reason.

I’m not convinced that ICE bikes will be gone in my lifetime. Currently whilst the politics says one thing, reality says another.

I’m not convinced that ICE bikes will be gone in my lifetime. Currently whilst the politics says one thing, reality says another.
👍

I didn’t say gone, I said that they’d be worth naff all. Govt and Khan nudging us towards BEVs will make ICE vehicles more and more expensive to use, and they’ll limit where they are used.

Hence the resale value will drop like a lead balloon.

👍

Back
Top Bottom