Impressions From A Train In Spain... South-West From Zaragoza

Zaragoza is a beautiful city have stayed there a few times.
Always in Ibis Central with access to the old town via a very scenic bridge.
Love the narrow streets of the old town with the vibrant wine bars.

As for the valleys south west i dare say its beautiful, the roads seem minor around Codos. Further south the CM-2105 in the Parque Natural De La Serrania De Cuenca between Huelamo and Villalba de la Sierra looks fantastic.
Has the Ibis Central bike parking?

get the night train from Paris to Andorra > Latour de Carol, local train to Barcelona, onward to Tarragona and Falset, to the Priorat, great area and super wine
I keep meaning to take that local train from Barcelona up to Puigcerda/Bourge-Madame but have only ever got as far as Vic. Question, there's a 'corkscrew tunnel roughly under the La Molina ski resort where the train twists right up 360º before emerging so much higher - there are a few like that in Spain! - do you notice anything when actually inside the train?

Every time I drive through Spain I thank you for opening my eyes to the beautiful country.
Happy new year Simon ( and Polly )(y)(y):clap
My pleasure Mick, no need for thanks! Are you still driving down to Murcia each year? We've living in Tremp full-time now so it would be great f you and Janel stopped by for a coffee :)

I keep meaning to take that local train from Barcelona up to Puigcerda/Bourge-Madame but have only ever got as far as Vic. Question, there's a 'corkscrew tunnel roughly under the La Molina ski resort where the train twists right up 360º before emerging so much higher - there are a few like that in Spain! - do you notice anything when actually inside the train?
In the same sort of area, and if you're into rack railways then I enjoyed this a few years ago: https://www.valldenuria.cat/en/summer/valldenuria/

Up until 2018 I held off road events around Teruel, a bit further east from your window view. The landscape, trails and roads are unbelievable and I spent at least one month each year for five years exploring, eventually 'mapping' about 4,500 kms of trail routes including road
road links and some repetition to avoid difficult sections for novice riders.
I still go back every year and probably always will ..
@Simon_100
Thanks for your feedback and sharing your own experience of the region - it definitely looked to hold 'possibilities' for a range of riders/riding, as I sat idling my time gawping at the scenery!

I now wonder if this region might be an interesting opportunity for those with electric bicycles, as these improve on range and power?

Great to know that you have had made the most of what I gather from a later post, is your own proximity to the area by living in Spain. (Brexit buggered my own plans for that...). It seems that you live in a wonderful area, albeit quite a way from the coast and airports...

Safe riding....

Last edited:
Zaragoza is a wonderful city with a nice vibe as it’s a university city.

We stayed at ‘Hotel Sauce’, yes I know, right in the city.
Hotel Sauce

Funny thing is underground parking is opposite and to get there I followed the eager receptionist running down 3 floors of ramps, round and round, down and down as I rolled behind him on the bike. :ROFLMAO:

7889DFA4-5CF0-4138-8389-F09EEF096567.jpeg

@Simon_100
Thanks for your feedback and sharing your own experience of the region - it definitely looked to hold 'possibilities' for a range of riders/riding, as I sat idling my time gawping at the scenery!

I now wonder if this region might be an interesting opportunity for those with electric bicycles, as these improve on range and power?

Great to know that you have had made the most of what I gather from a later post, is your own proximity to the area by living in Spain. (Brexit buggered my own plans for that...). It seems that you live in a wonderful area, albeit quite a way from the coast and airports...

Safe riding....
Not at all. An excellent base for exploring would be Albarracín, much lauded as one of the prettiest towns in Europe by the British press. But the region is very varied between the four quadrants based around Teruel city so the distances to explore can be large.

I don't know anything abut electric bikes but imagine that the range and lack of recharge facilities might be an issue - even big bike have to plan for petrol stations as the region is so underpopulated there's not much ...

I am indeed lucky to have settled here back in '97 but for the lack of UK salary income all these years ...

A lovely part of Spain. We were in the Picos in 2022 and decided to go to the MotoGP in Motoland Aragon and rode through this area on the way there and back (By popular request!). We overnighted in Calatayud. The contrast in scenery between the two was wonderful: Big skies, open fields and rock formations from a spaghetti western. Very arid. All the locals were friendly, prices were good and there was almost no traffic once you got out of the towns. We stumbled across a solar panel array in the middle of nowhere that was the size of big town. I would love to explore that area more. I had never thought about using the train to see more of Spain if I wasn't on the bike. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom