In praise of the r1150

Wobs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I got my first oil head in about 1994. An 1100GS. I was working in Manila back then but saw it in a mag and just had to have one. She was a revelation. After years of multi cylinder Jap bikes, the way this thing handled on any ground was mind blowing. Spent years on mostly un-made roads throughout SE Asia and just thought this was the best bike ever.

Move on to 2000 and we’re back in the UK. We’d bought the GS back with us and registered her in the UK. Cost a fortune! Then BMW brought out the 1150GS and I was in love……again. Bought one of the very first and traded in the 1100. It was so early that the bike I bought from a main dealer was a pre-reg.

23 years later we’re still together. I’ve had camheads, LCs, big Yams and KTMs since but I just love big Gee. Slow steering, heavy, under powered maybe by today’s standards and an acquired taste but if I’m heading off on a big trip I know what I’d rather be on.

We’ve done deserts, nordkapp and many, many countries. Gearbox stuck in 3rd gear after 6 months and new box put in under warranty. Since then absolutely no problems at all. New clutch a while ago.

Done a few frame strengthening bits just in case, Wilbers shocks (better than Ohlins on BMWs IMO) and now updated 1200 injectors and a few farkles but that’s it. Finishing is better than camheads and later bikes. I have really looked after her and powder coated a lot of bits just to keep her feeling good about herself.

Just bought a 2023 monkey bike to keep her company in the garage and give me something to go to the shops on. Next trip up to the Baltics in 2024. Never been to Estonia and hopefully over to Finland if there’s still a ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki and mad Vlad hasn’t dumped on it

I’m with you on this. I got on so well with my first 1150Gs that I soon regretted selling it when I bought a nearly new 1200. But I stuck with the 12 for about seven years never really gelling with it and gradually losing the desire to ride. Got rid and bought an 1150 again.

Can I ask what affect the injectors modification has had ?

Can I ask what affect the injectors modification has had ?
Virtually eliminated surging and engine feels so much smoother. For years I had a R259 Techlusion module fitted which I think richens the mixture to eliminate surging. Took it off when I put the injectors on which has also had the unexpected effect of improving MPG. Have to be a bit careful as obviously replacing new for old but she is running as good as I can remember.

Back
Top Bottom